FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: homemade bbq sauce?  (Read 8950 times)

Trophy Hunter639

homemade bbq sauce?
« on: Apr 19, 2004, 11:27 PM »
I want to try making my own BBQ sauce does anyone have any good recipes they might want to share? I'll understand if no one wants to 8)

bobberstop

• MFF Mod Team
Re: homemade bbq sauce?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2004, 09:33 AM »
***SEASONING MIX***
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
***MAIN INGREDIENTS***
1/2 pound bacon; minced
2 cups pork beef or chicken stock
1 cup honey
5 tablespoons orange juice; (1/2 orange)
2 tablespoons lemon juice; (1/4 lemon)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups bottled chili sauce
3/4 cup dry roasted pecans; chopped
rind and pulp from 1/2 orange
rind and pulp from 1/4 lemon
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. In a 2-quart saucepan fry the bacon over high heat until crisp. Stir in the onions, cover pan, and continue cooking until onions are dark brown, but not burned, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the seasoning mix and cook about 1 minute. Add the stock, chili sauce, honey, pecans, orange juice, lemon juice, orange and lemon rinds and pulp, garlic, and Tabasco, stirring well. Reduce heat to low; continue cooking about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove orange and lemon rinds. Continue cooking and stirring about 15 minutes more to let the flavors marry. Add the butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Let cool about 30 minutes, then pour into a food processor or blender and process until pecans and bacon are finely chopped, about 10 to 15 seconds. This sauce may be used to barbecue chicken, pork or ribs. Makes about 5 Cups.
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

bobberstop

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2004, 09:49 AM »

Coca Cola BBQ Sauce

Give this BBQ sauce a try for your next cookout:

2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. mustard
2 tsp. vinegar
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 c. catsup
16 oz. bottle Coca-Cola
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
Add the garlic and onions.
Cook for 5 minutes but do not "brown" them.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups. 
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

bobberstop

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2004, 04:28 PM »
3 Tbsp. liquid smoke                                 21/2 Tbsp.salt
21/4 c. ketchup                                         1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp worcestershire sauce                     1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
                                                                  1 large minced onion
11/2 tsp.chili powder                                 11/2 tsp. red pepper
3/4 c. vinegar                                             
1/2 c. water                                               2Tbsp.garlic salt

Mix well. Makes 1 quart. Keeps indefinitly in refrigerator. Very good
Bobberstop

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2004, 09:56 PM »
Hey thanks! 8)

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2004, 10:15 PM »
Here it is as promised...

BBQ Sauce:

1 c water
1 c ketchup
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp celery seed
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
Few drops hot chile sauce
Dash of pepper

Heat all ingredients to a boil.  Remove from heat.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2004, 03:52 PM »
mmmm!!!!! Cider reading your posts on steak makes me drool! What is speedy sauce? Just curious.Man do I love BBQ!!!Having steaks tonight ;D

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2004, 03:58 PM »
mmmm!!!!! Cider reading your posts on steak makes me drool! What is speedy sauce? Just curious.Man do I love BBQ!!!Having steaks tonight ;D

Where are you from?  If NY state (particularly Binghamton/Syracuse area), then you should be able to find the speedie sauce in the grocery stores.  Actually, I am originally from NY and knew about it from those days.  However, I live in NH now and there are a couple grocery stores up here that carry it.

It is really nothing more than oil and vinegar with a variety of different herbs/spices in it.  I am sure they have a "secret" ingredient too.  You could make your own, but I always liked the flavor of this one.  It is called NY State Fair Speedie Sauce.  Comes in a clear glass bottle with a blue top and a pink and blue (maybe white too) label on the front.

btw - speedies are a local slang term for kebabs.  You know, stew sized chunks of meat alternated with chunks of sweet pepper, onion, and tomato.  Skewer them on a bamboo skewer and grill 'em!!  You marinate the meat overnight in speedie sauce first.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2004, 10:16 PM »
Cider I'm from Manitoba :) Thanks for the info about speedy sauce although it would probably be pretty tough to get it here :( I like to use any leftover steak [if there is ;D] for stir-fry or steak and cheese on a bun! :)

Cider

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2004, 01:04 PM »
Try this Trophy Hunter...

Spiedie Sauce -

8 bay leaves (crumbled up)
4 tsp oregano
8 sm cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1/2 C lemon juice
1/2 C salad oil or fruity olive oil (preferred)
3/4 C vinegar (any variety)
1 tsp pepper
3 tsp salt (or to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together and marinate your meat or fish in the refrigerator overnight.

Here's another...

1 tsp minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp tabasco
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
4 Oz. water
7 Oz. apple-cider vinegar
4 Oz. extra virgin olive oil

Or this, but where it calls for tofu, substitute with a healthy chunk of meat...

GENE'S SPIEDIE SAUCE

Spiedies are a Binghamton (NY) area phenomenon. Originally developed by a local Italian immigrant family, spiedies usually consist of chunks of meat marinated in what is essentially Italian dressing, grilled, and served on bread or a sub roll. The spiedie is such a Binghamton institution that they even have a spiedie competition every year as part of the Balloon Festival. In 1996 they opened a vegetarian spiedie category and we were drafted by Gene's brother to enter. This is Gene's entry.

3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons maple syrup
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
pinch black pepper
pinch salt
1 dried chipotle pepper, finely minced (remove seeds for less heat)
2 small ripe peaches, finely chopped

Combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and maple syrup in a mixing bowl. Add garlic, thyme, black pepper, chipotle pepper, salt and peaches. Mix thoroughly and pour over 1 lb. of firm tofu and allow to marinate for 24 hours. Grill on skewers, and serve in a sub roll.

You may also want to try marinating crimini mushrooms with the tofu.

The state fair spiedie sauce I was telling you about is made by Salimida a company out of Binghamton, NY.  http://www.spiedie.com  You can order directly from their site either by the case or in sampler gift packs.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Hey thanks Cider I really appreciate the time you took to find those for me 8) 8) 8) I am definatly going to have fun this summer trying those recipies I'm drooling all over the place right now just thinking about it ;D ;D ;D

bobberstop

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2004, 11:11 PM »
Honey Barbecue Sauce
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion, minced
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp cider or sherry wine vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
- Heat oil in medium pan. Add onion and garlic, saute on medium high heat until onion is soft and transparent.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Makes 1 cup of sauce.
Bobberstop

TimC1086

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2004, 04:50 PM »
ah barbecue... something im better at than fishing.

understand these will be rough estimates, i usually just use amounts to taste...

2 c. ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 shakes of worcestershire (see what i mean about not being exact?)
1 tbsp. brown mustard
2 tbsp. molasses
dash cider vinegar
couple shakes of ground black pepper
app. 3-6 oz. of coke, dr. pepper, or my favorite, root beer

now teh tricky part,
i usually throw in 1 tbsp. of my dry barbecue rub, ill add that recipe in here too:

1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup brown sugar
couple shakes of ground black pepper
some coarsely ground salt
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion flakes
2 tsp. celery seeds
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

throw everything in a saucepan and bring slowly to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. if it doesnt taste right, i add more root beer or molasses. this sauce is killer on ribs, good on chicken too. but really, i wouldnt use it for anything but ribs its so great. if you rub the ribs about 4 hours before cooking with the unused dry rub and let it sit, its even better. then the key is to slow cook the ribs over hickory smoke, 3 to 4 hours is best. deeeelish.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2004, 12:23 PM »
OK, I let this secret out on www.MyHuntingForum.com so I might as well spill it here too.  Below is my recipe for speidie marinade and trust me it is delicious!!

This recipe is enough for 3 lbs of cubed or steaked venison or the same amount of goose, duck or chicken breast meat.

12 oz.    Italian salad dressing (can be sugar free but not light!)
12oz.     cola (I prefer Pepsi with this recipe but Coke or other will work)
4 Tbsp   A-1 steak sauce
3 Tbsp   Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp   Spicy Brown Mustard
2 tsp      Garlic powder
2 tsp      Onion powder
1 tsp      Kosher salt
1 tsp      Horseradish ground (white, no beet juice)
1 tsp      Black and Cayenne pepper (or more to taste)

That's it!  Marinate for at least 24 hours, stirring at least once every 12.  I usually use venison cubes on a kabob alternated with slice of onion, green, yellow and red pepper, and whole jalapenos.  Place them on the grill on high heat, turn once and cook till med. rare!  Place them on Italian rolls for your soon to be pleased guests or hoard them for yourself.  ;D   The beauty of preparing meat with this method is that even tougher cuts come out very tender when finished.  Enjoy!!
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.