FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Non tradional Carp tatics  (Read 8390 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Non tradional Carp tatics
« on: Apr 26, 2006, 01:34 PM »
Howdy carp anglers. When I think of traditional carp tactics I think of hair rigs, with sliding sinkers and bait like corn, boiles and worms.

Have any of you caught carp on non traditional tactics like Mr. Twisters, rubber shads, crankbaits, spinners or more common walleye and pike lures? :-\

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Carpking

• lunker
Re: Non tradional Carp tatics
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2006, 04:33 PM »
Howdy carp anglers. When I think of traditional carp tactics I think of hair rigs, with sliding sinkers and bait like corn, boiles and worms.

Have any of you caught carp on non traditional tactics like Mr. Twisters, rubber shads, crankbaits, spinners or more common walleye and pike lures? :-\

WW
not yet, my friend caught one on a twister some years back, imagine if they hit lures what a blast that would be. im a corn fisherman. buddy of mine has an idea to use yellow powerbait or other on a fly rod, but hasn't yet. good luck with the coppersides

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2006, 04:39 PM »
In the spring (pre-spawn) I've caught more than a few carp on husky jerks and jigs. Especially smaller jigs with a minnow type profile. I think I remember seeing an episode in In-Fishermen some years ago where they were actually catching carp trolling stick baits in a river.

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I've caught a few using rubber hellgramites while fishing for smallies.  For a minute you think you have an enormous smallie on, then you see the gold flash.
Ken A.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Bean touched on soft plastics, they are something I have caught quite a few carp on.  The two biggest producers I have seen are brown tubes (3.5" as salty as possible) and small panfish plastics.  Most of the carp that I have caught on soft plastics were while fishing for other fish.  You can target them by sight fishing, just let the lure drop to the bottom in front of a carp, and they will hone in on it, and suck it up off the bottom. (harder then it sounds)

I have also caught carp on flies sight fishing them.  Small nypmhs in shades of brown and rust worked well for me.  There is a great book on this titled "Carp on the Fly"

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2006, 09:12 AM »
I know it's kind of a fad now, and no longer considered non-traditional, but I love to catch carp on a fly.  8 wt and a bugger or nymph and your good to go.  They can be very challenging, requiring stalking and casting skills similar to those required to catch bonefish.  And they'll really rap your knuckles on those killer runs.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

arthur

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2006, 06:51 PM »
The reservoirs down here have BIG carp. I will be getting a fly rod to target them next year.

I'll look for that book, Lance.

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2006, 05:17 PM »
I caught a carp a couple of years ago on a Thunderstick deep diving stick bait.  It had the front and back hooks in it's mouth.

Chucker

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2006, 06:13 PM »
Small white rubber legged jig.  My UL got spooled by a fish in the 10 pound class.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Bump!

Have any of you tried any of the Berkley Gulp baits for carp?

I was thinking the charteuse Gulp maggots or Gulp corn might work for them. :-\

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

troutaddict33

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2008, 04:52 PM »
if you can find uncle jon's i think it is that works amazingly... better than anything ive seen heard of or tried... white container with blue lettering. its a mix of like corn, cornmeal, cheese, corn syrup, and other secrets. doesn't taste too bad either if you're there for a while and get hungry  :laugh:

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 01:13 PM »
I can now add to this thread, this season I have seen two carp caught on crappie tube jigs, and hooked two more that were lost...mostly on the stop or super slow presentation

teamtwosticks

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 01:42 PM »
while walleye fishing a few weeks ago i caught a huge carp.  i carolina rigged a floating jig head with a 2" berkley gulp minnow (has a twister tail).  i thought that i had snagged up on another rock and then she took off fought the fish for 10 mins and thought i snagged the belly of a fish but then she turned and went back into the current.  15 mins later i had the fish on shore (to big to net) and the darn thing was as tall as the boots at the bottom of my waders.  estimated weight of 15 pounds and a length of 29".  it was a thrill. all on 8 pound mono.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:41 PM »
beech nut leaf tobacco, no seriously!

Red Man or Levi Garrett will work in a pinch ;)

Issiah

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 06:55 PM »
I have caught quite a few Carp casting stickbaits & diving plugs during the early spring. It's like they attack lures at that time; I've always wondered if they were spawning and protecting their nest or young? Sometimes they suck the lure right in their mouth & other times they'll swim up on it and roll or smack it with their tail. Great fighting fish! Guys can say what they want about carp; but one thing is for sure; When hooked they put up one heck of a bulldoggin' fight!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.