FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SpiderWire Fusion  (Read 2187 times)

grumpymoe

SpiderWire Fusion
« on: May 15, 2006, 07:25 PM »
I really have to post this here so other anglers can at least have a chance at passing this product by......I STRONGLY think that the same company produces one of the finest superbraids in the business...(SpiderWire Stealth)....but their Fusion is one of the most overpriced and waste of money that I can think of......use it a few times and before long, you have numerous strands separating from the main body...looks like our cat shedding hair....had a birds nest in the baitcaster on the weekend and with gloved hands snapped 15lb test like it was sewing thread....JUNK!!!!!!.....first opportunity I have its going to be respooled with Stealth...same company....superior product...Grump

pizalm

• drop the hammer
Re: SpiderWire Fusion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:36 PM »
I bought a spool of fusion this winter to use as a leader on my tip ups, I never caught anything on them when I used them so no experience for me but I guess I'll leave the rest on the spool and off my reel. After I bought it I googled it and I read people weren't happy with it. But one of my brothers has spiderwire XXX and I think he likes that but I think it's a mono, not braided.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:39 PM »
I dunno grump, I've been using fusion since it first came out a long time ago.  I've since switched over to fireline for the most part, but have a heavy spinning rod rigged up with fusion (swimbaits)...the line has been on there for two years - still works great - even used it tonight.

Fireline is a superior product however.

J_Maki

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I agree PURE GARBAGE. I have never used it myself but a couple of buddies tried it and they couldn't go 5 minutes without having to retie there line. Like you said the line sure isn't "fused very good." 

If I were you I would call the company and complain you will probably get a couple feebies out of it.  Like they don't know the line is garbage.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone has had the same fusion on there reel for two years from what I have seen first hand. I guess it maybe possible if your are fishing complety open water without any type of structure.  Fireline is a much superior fused line but it too doesn't fair to well around sharp rocks when dragging crankbaits. But at least it doesn't fray like the fusion, it just seems to get nicked up.

Another crappy line out there is Berkley Gorilla Tough one of the worst real braids on the market. They took it off the market for several years due to is inferior quality but they have marketed onece again and it is still GARBAGE.  The line just cuts itself at the knots.

I agree with grump that the stealth is the way to go for a combination of quality and value when it comes to true braids.  Cabelas rip cord Si is also a very good braid in my opinion I had that on a reel for nearly 3 years and it got used lots and never had a problem with it other than I snapped the rod beacuse I use to just straighin the hooks out when I got snagged. I know use a piece of wood to wrap the line around when I get snagged. I prefer it over the stealth but stealth is more readily available locally.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:27 PM »
I haven't seen fusion around here in a while. I used to use it, but it got bushy like sisal baler twine, and all that friction on the guides made for poor casting. I never had problems with break offs, but it did seem to bleach out and fray with little use. I also gave power pro a try, and disliked it for several reasons (we will save that for another post). I have finally settled on Spiderwire Stealth, I love it, and I find more uses for it every year. Stealth handles like a dream, stays round, never digs in, never looses its coating, and lasts for years.

My final verdict:
Fusion sucks
stealth rules

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.