FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Biggest Crappie  (Read 2209 times)

THINfin

Biggest Crappie
« on: Jun 07, 2006, 11:27 AM »
My largest crappie to date was 17 inches and that was out of Fish Trap Lake in Laporte.

rico

• Give me some lovin'
Re: Biggest Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2006, 03:10 PM »
Welcome aboard!!!!  I would like to see a picture of that crappie!

fire831

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2006, 07:10 PM »
14 inch 1 1/2 lb from honey hole USA. ;D ;D

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2006, 07:39 PM »
14 inch 1 1/2 lb from honey hole USA. ;D ;D
Just a tad off the lake record!!!!!!! :P

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2006, 09:45 PM »
I'm finishing up an 18 1/2 inch crappie for a customer. It was 3 1/2 pounds. Caught in Steuben County. I'll try and remember to post a pic when I finish it.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2006, 10:08 PM »
I'm finishing up an 18 1/2 inch crappie for a customer. It was 3 1/2 pounds. Caught in Steuben County. I'll try and remember to post a pic when I finish it.
Would that be a white or a black?  Whatever that would be one helluva nice fish!!!!!

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2006, 11:05 PM »
Would that be a white or a black?  Whatever that would be one helluva nice fish!!!!!

Well funny you ask. It has the spine count of a white crappie (6 spines) and body shape wise is like a white crappie but it has more of a clustered spotting pattern which is more like a black crappie. Could very well be a natural hybrid between the two and that's not the first time I've seen that. I remember once doing a survey in a central Indiana reservoir when I was a biologist aid intern and we ran into a bunch of hybrids. I've done three or four crappies in this size range and at least one other one was a hybrid.

Could be some natural hybrid vigor which made it so large.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.