FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp Bait??  (Read 9086 times)

fishryc

Carp Bait??
« on: Jul 21, 2006, 08:24 AM »
 I was introduced to targeting carp last year and had some pretty good fun doing it. I used a long shank hook fully loaded with frozen whole kernel corn. We took one or two fish each time that we went, but this year I’ve made two trips to the same spot with no luck.
 I wondered what other baits are preferred for carp. I’ve taken a lot over the years as an incidental catch, mostly on emerald shiner minnows while targeting spring perch so I guess this is one option.
Thanks
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

archbishop

Re: Carp Bait??
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2006, 08:29 AM »
I was introduced to targeting carp last year and had some pretty good fun doing it. I used a long shank hook fully loaded with frozen whole kernel corn. We took one or two fish each time that we went, but this year I’ve made two trips to the same spot with no luck.
 I wondered what other baits are preferred for carp. I’ve taken a lot over the years as an incidental catch, mostly on emerald shiner minnows while targeting spring perch so I guess this is one option.
Thanks

BIG nightcrawlers :tipup:

Chucker

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2006, 08:47 AM »
Try adding a mini marshmallow or two to the hook.  It'll provide color, flavor, and flotation.

arthur

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2006, 08:47 AM »
There are so many options....

Consider a variety of prepared baits. Berkley makes a carp bait, which is the only one I see with any regularity here in the US. Overseas it's a whole other matter: When I fish in the Czech Rep. the tackle stores are all about carp. (Well probably 50% carp, 25% pike and zander, 25% cats, roach and bream). Do consider fishing with boilie rigs instead of corn. Also look into baiting the area you fish. The carp will learn to like your baits and come to expect them.

Go to these carp sites. You can order stuff online.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk
http://www.carp.com/
http://www.psfishing.com/

Fishingking

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2006, 09:05 AM »
I  fish down at a park for carp. All you have to do is throw a bunch of bread out there for the ducks (really to chum the carp in) mash some bread on a hook and fish on :)  just gotta watch out for the diving ducks lol We are only fishing 2-4 fow. Or frozen Pizza dough balls or something like that works well it is  sticky and stays on the hook well.
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

d_balm24

• WORK is for people who don't know how to FISH.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2006, 09:58 AM »
Corn seems to work the best for me.My dad caught a few last year with a piece of onion.I thought he was tellin stories until he pulled a carp in and the onion was still on the hook.

archbishop

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Corn seems to work the best for me.My dad caught a few last year with a piece of onion.I thought he was tellin stories until he pulled a carp in and the onion was still on the hook.

who said you could post over here ;)

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2006, 11:18 AM »
Fishryc,  I also have targeted carp with corn, though it's been a few years. We would use canned corn, and "chum the water" with it. We'd throw like half the can out in a small area and then cast our hooks in the same area. It seemed to help get them in the area, and they we'll find your hook eventually.

And I also argee with Arch, night crawlers work well.

Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

fishryc

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Thanks guys.....
 Mike and I will be targeting some LMGC in the AM Sunday, then some real carp in the PM. Ive gotten 20 pounders there (Erie Canal, Tonawanda) last year; maybe Mike will have a pic or 2.
S
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

archbishop

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:47 PM »
Thanks guys.....
 Mike and I will be targeting some LMGC in the AM Sunday, then some real carp in the PM. Ive gotten 20 pounders there (Erie Canal, Tonawanda) last year; maybe Mike will have a pic or 2.
S

mike has a camera ??? ;D
i may go out and target some of the big ones we have in the allegany river :tipup:

Marcus

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2006, 02:33 PM »
my favorite bait for carp is oatmeal     take a handful get it wet and then form it into a bal;l over a small treble hook takes a few casts to get used to not overcasting and losing the bait but this was my method when i targeted the larger carp. Sometimes we would mix in some confectioners sugar or anything sweet and that seemed to help out we have caught some monsters ... I do also like corn . And when i can get them feeding on the surface bread  of any sort will get them    just like fishingking said throw some in to locate them and then throw them the hook and get ready.

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2006, 03:14 PM »
Dough bait with strawberry jam in it or make dough out of corn meal !
As MXfisher said ... chum with some sweet corn and throw in the middle of the chum area .

Hookset

« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2006, 03:23 PM »
My buddies and I found a recipe years ago that works very well for the slimers, I think it was in In-Fisherman but I may be wrong.  I get a ton of fishing magazines.  Anyway, take half(or whole) a cantaloupe melon, remove the rind and seeds, cut it in small pieces and leave it in a ziplock bag out in the sun for a day or so.  It will get gnarly looking, slimy and goo-like.  Add about 2 cups corn flakes, re-seal the bag and kneed it a bit until it looks consistent(if it's real juicy, add more corn flakes).  It starts to get a bit thicker as the corn flakes absorb the melon juice(ha ha, I said melon juice).  Then throw that bag in the refrigerator for a while until it cools and gets dough-like.  Then, just take a bit in your hand and smash it on a hook.  Trebles work best.  DON'T overcast or the bait will go flying, as you would expect.  If there are any carp around, you'll find them quick, they LOVE this stuff.  We ended up adding a worm on the hook first, so if the bait dissipated, there would still be an offering for the slimers that caught the scent trail.  

The first time I ever used this bait, I was fishing the mouth of the Kaydeross as it dumps in to Saratoga Lake.  My buddies and I probably hooked 30 carp in 1 night and landed about 6.  The creek is FULL of trees and other hazards and we couldn't keep them from going way upstream and then way downstream out to the lake.  Great fun.  Good luck!
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2006, 04:00 PM »
My buddies and I found a recipe years ago that works very well for the slimers, I think it was in In-Fisherman but I may be wrong.  I get a ton of fishing magazines.  Anyway, take half(or whole) a cantaloupe melon, remove the rind and seeds, cut it in small pieces and leave it in a ziplock bag out in the sun for a day or so.  It will get gnarly looking, slimy and goo-like.  Add about 2 cups corn flakes, re-seal the bag and kneed it a bit until it looks consistent(if it's real juicy, add more corn flakes).  It starts to get a bit thicker as the corn flakes absorb the melon juice(ha ha, I said melon juice).  Then throw that bag in the refrigerator for a while until it cools and gets dough-like.  Then, just take a bit in your hand and smash it on a hook.  Trebles work best.  DON'T overcast or the bait will go flying, as you would expect.  If there are any carp around, you'll find them quick, they LOVE this stuff.  We ended up adding a worm on the hook first, so if the bait dissipated, there would still be an offering for the slimers that caught the scent trail.  

The first time I ever used this bait, I was fishing the mouth of the Kaydeross as it dumps in to Saratoga Lake.  My buddies and I probably hooked 30 carp in 1 night and landed about 6.  The creek is FULL of trees and other hazards and we couldn't keep them from going way upstream and then way downstream out to the lake.  Great fun.  Good luck!
thats a new one i havent heard of
OR      [IMG]

Muskie Matt

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2006, 05:19 PM »
cornflakes and strawberry soda

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.