FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What bait do ya use fer carp  (Read 18701 times)

bear

Re: What bait do ya use fer carp
« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2007, 09:32 PM »
corn and worms.

JCaughtem

• Warning....These fish bite!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2008, 09:27 AM »
Always seeing lots of carp but dont no what to use, can ya help me with this
CORN.

FezHead

« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2008, 02:53 PM »
Regarding corn as bait ...

I've heard fish (like people) can't digest corn and it shouldn't be used for bait, though that may apply more for fishing stocked ponds than carp.

Not passing judgement here, especially if you're targeting carp, just wondering is anyone else has heard corn isn't good for fish.

bugman1964

« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2008, 03:20 PM »
I always used an aluminum shaft arrow tipped with a barbbed fishing point. For carp only. If you are seeing them you can shoot them. Check your local laws first though.

Dmarshall

« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2008, 05:46 PM »
can anyone tell me what to use for chum? i seen a guy with a bucket full of hay, corn and other stuff. does anyone know or can anyone help me?????????

Josh Miller

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 10:40 AM »
can anyone tell me what to use for chum? i seen a guy with a bucket full of hay, corn and other stuff. does anyone know or can anyone help me?????????

Cheap and easy chum is Poulty Finisher or some kind of chicken feed.  I go to Tractor Supply (dont know if they are in your area) any feed/farm store should have some sort of poultry feed though.  Dump that into a bucket and also mix in field corn.  Make it wet so it binds up.  Ball it up and throw it into the water.  Cheap and works good.  I also throw old cereal, bread, corn chips etc into the mix instead of throwing them in the trash.

troutaddict33

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 11:07 AM »
this is the stuff...  http://www.tackletour.com/reviewunclejoshcarpbait.html
If you buy that you WILL NOT REGRET IT. when i moved to college one of the only things to fish around there was carp and i would go 4 days a week and they would not take anything as much as this. Ball it right up on a treble, i used like a size 2 because the carp there were huge. I also used 60lb braided bc they were breaking 30lb braided sometimes. I fished in a strong current and had to use a 3 oz weight to get it to stay on bottom then propped the pole up. When the tension came off the line that meant a fish hit, just like a downrigger. This time of year if you see them surfacing they are not feeding. There's no actual proven point as to what they're doing but it has to do with pre spawning i guess and are not going after food on the surface. You could also try fly fishing for them... rgfixit knows a lot about that and gave me some good info.

sperrin

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 11:09 AM »
Who wants to catch an ugly Carp in the first place? haha
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

troutaddict33

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 11:10 AM »
Who wants to catch an ugly Carp in the first place? haha

I take it you've never caught a big one... They fight soooo hard and its even better in a big river with a decent current. Catch one over 25 lbs and youll know what im talking about.

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 10:56 PM »
I fished carp all the time when I lived in Kalamazoo. Fished a damned up Lake that was part of the Kalamazoo River system and it was FULL of carp. lots of 5-8lbs, but I took two really nice fish, both master angler fish, and lost 2 or 3 that were 35+. But in that system I found a deep hole where the current was rippin (8' where the rest of the lake is 4-5 at best) and anchor up from it and cast back with a slip rig system with a short shank bait keeper hook, and 1/2oz weight and a nose hooked full crawler. Straight $$Money$$! Pics are on here somewhere...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 04:50 AM »
Rabbit food is the easiest chum there is. Cheap, effective and it doesn't go bad or stink.

Hooks!!!

You need to use a hair rig to hook a carp in the lip and release them without harm. It's far more effective and less damaging than trebles and a standard rig.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 07:43 AM »
Rabbit food is the easiest chum there is. Cheap, effective and it doesn't go bad or stink.

Hooks!!!

You need to use a hair rig to hook a carp in the lip and release them without harm. It's far more effective and less damaging than trebles and a standard rig.

RG
Do you have more detailed info. on how to tie those hair rigs you showed in your post.....or possibly re-direct me to some sites
that deal with carp fishing........so I could learn more about some new techniques.
I've been fishing for carp......it seems like for ever......mainly using and chumming with corn......its a ton of fun.
Recently thanks to this site....I find myself wanting to know more about these new rigs and techniques to catch these
golden salmon......Thankx

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Check the other post regarding hair rigs. If you need step by step...I'll get the digital out tomorrow (after I go carp hunting in my favorite stream) and take some instructional photos.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Check the other post regarding hair rigs. If you need step by step...I'll get the digital out tomorrow (after I go carp hunting in my favorite stream) and take some instructional photos.

RG
I'm heading out for walleye in the a.m., if that dosent work out try to find some northerns.......conditions are right on the verge
of pickin up. At the same time the big carp are starting to roll in at night at one of my favorite spots. If I fish at night......I cant get up in the morning.
Ever notice that everything starts biting all at once? Not to mention all those trout and bass I have to find time for........isnt it great?
I 'll have to brush up on my knots and figure this hair rig out......seems to be the setup of choice. I appreciate the advice.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Jun 01, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Great minds, I guess....I went for Walleye this morning too. Got 2 nice ones, a ton of bass and a fat pike. The smallmouth were huge. Water temps hit 62 today and they were hungry.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.