FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Top-water bait for Carp?  (Read 4279 times)

TMadness1013

Top-water bait for Carp?
« on: Jun 25, 2006, 08:53 PM »
Hi all,

I have a stream on the side of the house that is loaded with big common carp.  I've noticed that they LOVE to jump out of the water & feed on bugs on the surface often.  This surprised me because everything I've read has said they feed primarily on the bottom.

I fish almost exclusively with spinners...having them deep in the water has done nothing but spook the carp, but I'm wondering if I could possibly attract some by reeling in quickly & letting my spinner skim the top of the water. 

Has anyone caught carp with a similar method??  Thanks in advance! 

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Top-water bait for Carp?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2006, 09:23 PM »
Ive seen guys fly fishing for carp on TV, and they were doing very well catching "gulpers".

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:42 AM »
Worms, no weight to them, skitter them across the surface. ;)

Big Burk

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2007, 12:36 AM »
try fishing a dry fly if you want a good challenge. but i would recomend a pop up boillie (floating), or bread packbait and use no weights and drift it over top of them, it seems to work on the fish in my area, good luck.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2007, 07:07 PM »
When the cottonwoods are dropping their seeds, I use a cotton ball fly laced with a bit of strawberry flavoring. They gulp the cottonwood seeds from the surface. The trick is to land the fly without spooking the fish.

Carp on a flyrod are a blast.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.