FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Basics?  (Read 3679 times)

travisj

Basics?
« on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:18 PM »
In the past I have only gone fishing once or twice a season but this year I plan on being able to go out numerous times. I think it's time that I invest a little in to my tackle...
-Probably looking for a couple rod/reel combinations since I'll fish for anything from 0.5lb Perch to 20lb Pike
-Main species in surrounding area: Perch, Rainbows, Lake Whitefish, Burbot, Walleye, Pike
-9/10 times I'll fish from the shore or from a dock, rarely from a boat
-Mainly casting
-Will use quite a variety of lures -typically spoons, spinners, canadian wigglers, plugs, jig heads with plastic tails, sometimes pickeral rigs
I'm looking for suggestions on types of rods/reels to look at and why. Start with the basics please (ie short ultralite rod because...bait casting reel because... ). I will also be needing some specifics but I would like a clear understanding of what type of equipment I should be getting first. I don't mind spending the money if it going to make a difference, but I don't think I'll be needing top-end equipment either. Let me know if more info is needed too. ANY advice would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
Re: Basics?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:04 AM »
i use ugly stiks. they are the best rod for the money, and you will be hard pressed to break one. my first one lasted 23 years, and the reel seat came unglued! spend around $40-50.00 on a reel, and you will have a great set-up that will last a long time. most of mine can be used for more than one situation. ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2008, 07:08 AM »
I second the ugly stick suggestion.  As far as a reel 40-50 will get you a decent Shimano, well worth the money.  The only other suggestion I have is buying a one piece pole if you can deal with transporting it.  A nice 6'6"-7' one piece will be much more sensitive than a two piece rod.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

travisj

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Price range seems reasonable. Ugly Sticks, good to know. I would have to do a two-piece, but around 6'6"-7' is still a good length to have? What factors would the length of rod have on fishing, does it just affect the sesitivity?
Do I go with spinning or bait casting reels or another kind? What's the difference? Shimano is the way to go?
Suggestions for type of line to use?
I think I am leaning towards an ultralight setup AND a medium or medium-heavy setup.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I have both med and med light ugly stick combos I bought at walmart. I have caught waleye, pike and gills on the same rod. The combos didn't cost much and I still use them.  I used to work in a pro shop and these guy's would come in with there credit card ready because they were ready to catch that big fish and had to buy the best equipment to catch it. I would set them up with an adacuate rod for the species and a real that would do the job. Often times they would thank me because they were ready to break the bank on a $500 set up that would end up for $100 to chase muskys for there firt time.  The ugly stick is the most durable I have found. And they do combo them with some very capable reels.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2008, 07:24 AM »
if you can cast with a baitcaster, then you could go that way, but spinning reels are fine. i have 13 open water ugly stiks, ( my daughter says i'm greedy ) from 4'10" to 9'. there is also ugly stik lites. 6'6" to 7' med action will be a good start, and an ultra lite for the smaller species. i'm set for just about anything. you can always upgrade the reels as needed, but no need to get a new rod, because you'll have them for years and years! ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Bigfish57

« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Cabela's Whoopin' Sticks are another good option, although you really can't beat an ugly stick.
I would go with a spinning reel in the 40-60 dollar range. That price should get you a good drag, smooth operation and a reel that will last a good number of years if taken care of. For the light duty stuff a good way to get a great reel for less money is to buy the model with the graphite frame rather than metal.
Anthony

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Has anyone heard of high modulus graphite!? :D Uglies are great for trolling, catfishing, and casting live bait, but I draw the line there. :-\

Here is a couple good rods......

6' MH action

7' ML action

You really get what you pay for with rods. Cheap rods have poor action, and yes it really matters. These will get you in the door for a hundie apeice. If I was to leave home with only two rods, these would be it. The 6' rod will cover most of casting for bass and pike. It is stiff enough to pull bass out of crud and fight big pike, but yet light enough to fish with all day with little fatigue. The 7' will allow you to cast light jigs and Lindy rig with success. It will also work great for slip bobbering. $100 seems like allot for a rod, but you gotta spend it somewhere. ;D

Here are the reels for ya,

Shimano

I would go with a 2500 for the 7' rod and a 4000 for the 6' rod.

$360..... ain't in my budget either! ;D I just thought I would mention some good stuff. Good luck

Sven936

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:03 PM »
I love the St. Croix rods and I noticed a difference right away from the $50 rod I was using to the $100 St. Croix rod.   Worth every penny.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Look up a local custom rod maker. Tell him what you want and are looking for in a rod and it's a done deal. Usually not incredibly expensive either, and most guys offer some kind of unconditional waranty agreement. I have 3 custom fly rods and 2 custom spinning rods. the fly rods were the most expensive, about 350 a pop but the spinning rods were less than half that. My ultra lite was 85 bucks and I dumped 130 on a med action rod i use for Pike. Some rod makers will let you test drive a rod (so to speak) that fits what your looking for for a couple of weeks. Look into it I feel as though it's the best option. Compared to having the same rod that was made a 1000 times over.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.