FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hair Rigs  (Read 3398 times)

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
Hair Rigs
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:05 AM »
This one is for everyone. I would like to find out more about rigs and techniques fosr carp fishin.
I've been fishin for carp.....it seems like forever.......but my approach to these fish have been limited.
Basically using corn for bait and chum......once in a while some kind of doughbait......on a simple sliding
egg sinker and hook rig.
Now thanks to this site I find myself wanting to know more......about whats out there.....concerning
(rigs....techniques...equipment).
Any help concerning sites for carp fishin.....would be a great help.
THANX

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hair Rigs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:39 PM »
This site is full of carp..........I guess I should rephrase that :P

Hair rig 101.
The Europeans use braided line for the hair rig, I find no advantage to it.

I prefer lighter line and the lightest possible weight to get the bait out to the fish.

Hook....#10 short shank, wide gap, Lately I've been experimenting with Octopus hooks. 4 lb Low Vis Green Stren is my standard.

Basically, you snell the hook on to a length of leader and leave a  long tag end, 6" or so. past the hook. Tie a surgeon's loop in the tag about 1 1/2 - 3" past the hook. Using a bait needle, thread your bait on to the hair. Stop the bait from falling off with a dried pine needle or something. Add a small piece of flotation (foam) to balance the bait and float it slightly off bottom.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

corny

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2008, 12:33 PM »
Here are some links for you. 

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/hairandboltrig.html
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/hairrigknotlessknot.html

The tutorial where i got all this info:
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/carpingtips.html

I have been fishing exclusively for carp for over 5 years with euro style gear.  Carp Anglers Group is a great site with alot of knowledgeable people.  We take to newbies very nicely so ask any questions you want there.  You can also contact me if you have any questions [email protected]

Here is me with my latest capture.  Weighed 27-11

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2008, 02:48 PM »
Corny,
Great to see another carpie around here.

Sooooo....what's your best bait so far and where are you fishing?
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Hey Corny,
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna check it out. I've been watching this sport growing by leaps and bounds. With all the stuff coming over
from Europe, the equipment , techniques......tournaments. I find myself wanting to know more.I've always fished for them cause..... they're
just that much fun.I fished local tournaments around here for them......quit cause the officials were bending the rules on weighin time.....which
cost me some cash........used to also run all the way up to Massena ever year for the Northeastern Bowfishing Championship.
They grow some monters in the St. Lawrence. The biggest carp I shot was 32lbs. something and that wasnt big enough for 50th spot.
Biggest weighed in in the local tournament were around that 24 to 26lb. range.Anyway you look at it they're fun.

corny

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2008, 06:11 PM »
My best baits so far is some flavor infused corn and a boilie recipe that would knock your socks off :D  I fish bays and tribs off of lake Ontario and Oswego River.  I fish the Seneca every now and then but too many small fish in there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.