FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Your best carp bait recipe  (Read 35833 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Your best carp bait recipe
« on: Mar 05, 2004, 07:50 AM »
Just wondering what you use for carp baits? Do you chum, anyone use boilies or ball baits?

Here's my favorite mixture;
equal parts of
All Bran Cereal
dried whole milk
ground dead minnows
creamed corn
Corn meal
crushed rabbit food (the little green pellets)
Sometimes I add a tablespoon of strawberry jam

Mix well and add enough blackstrap molasses to bind the mixture and roll onto nickle sized balls.

Tie the balls with egg sack mesh and freeze til used.

Keep some loose (untied) in a plastic bag and chum the area with the crumbled mixture.
This mix has never failed . ;)
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Re: Your best carp bait recipe
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:54 AM »
RG,

Like the recipe. Sounds as though you have all the major food groups represented, (just in case you forget to take the PB&J along for yourself . . .   :)  ?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2004, 01:51 PM »
Reel,
I thought the major food groups were Beer, Fried Fish, Pork Fat and Chocolat ???

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Riverjet

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:43 PM »
Nice LOL
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

raleigh

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2004, 01:17 PM »
I use coke or pepsi with peanut butter and corn flakes and make it in to little balls. This is what i use for cats at Lake Havsue but i have caught my fair share of carp useing this method. Sounds kinda strange but it works.

Somers

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:23 AM »
I use equal parts flour and cornmeal.  To this I add a bit of salt, sugar, and a few drop of vanilla extract.  Enough water to bind it well enough to stay on the hook.  Simple but effective.  Some times I'll chum w/ corn or dog food first.  BEst action is when you condition them.  I'll chum the same time everyday for 4-6 days and then pick a day to fish.  Fast and furious.

In the spring I like to use a short fiberglass "rod" w/ a metal tip attached to my bow.

livin4ice

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:45 PM »
I have used the same recipe since my grandfather taught it to me.  It's super easy.

1/2 box wheaties
1 box strawberry Jello
mix with warm water and work into a crunchy paste with your hands.  When the Jello sets up it holds on the hook very well.  I have also caught a lot of catfish with this.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:19 AM »
This one is even easier.

Whole kernel corn. Learned this fishing for bullheads years back. Take a can with you and throw 3/4 of the can out for chum them bait your hook with it and toss it into the middle of the "corn field". It's amazing how fast they come in.
Harold

icefishnh

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:56 PM »
livin4ice, do you mean the already made jello or the packet kind?
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

livin4ice

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:32 PM »
You have to use the powdered/packet kind.  Works prety well.

icebraker

• People who work don't know how to fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:54 PM »
Here is my favorite,

2 egg's
1 cup corn meal
1 cup flouer
2 tsp of sugar
2 drops vanilla extract
1 cup water

Mix all ingredients untill you get a paste keep handling the paste quick and ad flouer to make it almost like playdow. But it in a pot of boiling water untill it rises to the surface. Let it cool down and cut into cube's.

People who work don't know how to fish!!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:08 PM »
This one is even easier.

Whole kernel corn. Learned this fishing for bullheads years back. Take a can with you and throw 3/4 of the can out for chum them bait your hook with it and toss it into the middle of the "corn field". It's amazing how fast they come in.

please don't do this, the fish cannot properly digest corn and it will kill them because it will get them so constipated :)

Im serious, thats why corn is outlawed in colorado, its one of the few laws that  I agree with that the CDOW has

crappieloo

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:54 PM »
If the carp would drink some water while eating the corn their bowels would move better. I have seen guys use 2 or 3 cans of corn and never seen a bunch of constipated dead carp floating around ??? Gee,ya just cant kill em. They live in 92 degree water,sewers,water with no oxygen ,mudholes and constipated. Man there tough,kinda like a cockaroach.

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:20 AM »
This one is even easier.

please don't do this, the fish cannot properly digest corn and it will kill them because it will get them so constipated :)

Im serious, thats why corn is outlawed in colorado, its one of the few laws that  I agree with that the CDOW has

Corn "killing" fish has been discredited by the PA Fish and Boat Commission. This is from their web site:

Question of the Week:  Corn for Bait
Q: Just a quick question as to the use of corn as bait when fishing for trout. During the last few years, I have seen more and more people using corn for bait. But it seems as if they are now being so bold as to sow the stream with handfuls at a time before casting their lines. I have always had the understanding corn cannot be digested by the trout and they would die from ingesting it. If this is the case, is it illegal to sow corn? 
A: Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet. During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet. The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.

You also asked about the practice of anglers using handfuls of corn to attract fish - a practice sometimes called chumming. For waters managed under statewide regulations, chumming with corn or other bait to attract fish would be considered a legal practice, providing that anglers don't get carried away and liberally coat the bottom of the stream with corn. If this were the case, then it could be considered littering.

If you have written information from some other fish commission or some other source showing that corn kills fish, I'd like to see it posted here.  This reply is not meant as a flame. I'm just trying to show factual information.
Ken A.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2004, 12:48 PM »
Thanks Bean
Harold

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.