FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hudson River Stripers  (Read 54803 times)

Bartman44

Hudson River Stripers
« on: Mar 05, 2004, 04:20 PM »
Even though I'm not ready to put the ice stuff away, it's not to early to start talking about the Hudson's Striped bass run.   

Anybody here fish the run?

Where do you go?

I do most of mine from just below Albany to Catskill and from a boat.  Last two years were excellent.   

Bart

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: Hudson River Stripers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2004, 04:30 PM »
From the bank and canoe in Troy, THE WALL. But I havn't fished it in the last 3-4 years. Now that it is a further drive, than just down the hill from Latham, harder to get down there all the time like I used too. It was awsome, some days we would C&R over 20 a day. There were a few days that we ran out of bait and had to throw net some more.
Hudson River Stripers are an awsome fight.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Timster

« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2004, 09:33 AM »
We fish out of Newburg you are right they are a awsome fighten fish!!
and tasty too ;)Can't wait till they start running :o
To bad fishing doesn't pay the BILLS!!
God Bless Our Troops/One Of Them Is Mine

Somers

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:22 AM »
Some fish are already being caught south of the Tappan Zee.  Secind hand report of a 10# and a smaller fish about 4#.  Great fishing all winter for them thru Dec/Jan.

Been fishing them for 15 years.  Love the boys and girls in pajamas.  Hard fighting and great eating.

I do most of my fishing south of Newburg, but charter at least once a year since I'm shore bound the rest of the time.

itsmedick

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2004, 02:48 PM »
never fished stripers before, but im going to try it this year. when does the run usually hit albany

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2004, 02:54 PM »
I am also going for the first time and also wondering when they hit albany and any other tips would be helpful.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

got em

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2004, 06:12 PM »
 :) :) we usually fish for the stripers from shore from catskill to the troy dam...weve got our own little group of striper addicts in new baltimore..at cornel park..you'll find us ther every day from sun up to sun down... ;)

Somers

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:40 PM »
Itsme and Fishboy,

The run is usually pretty good around the late April to mid May period depending on the year.  If you begin to hear reports of herring, the Stripers won't be far behind.  The top bait is a livelined herring.  Put it on a 6/0-8/0 Gamakatsu circle hook and let it do it's thing.  NExt best baits would be live eels or bloodworms or fresh herring chunks.  From shore I'd toss out a chunk and a blood worm.  Chunk on circle of appropriate size and bloods on baitholder about 2-3/0. on a fishfinder rig (slide a plastic sleeve w/ a clasp to hold your lead and then a snap or barrel swivel to the line ahead of a snelled hook w/ a 18-36" leader).  You can try anywhere, but breaks in the current are tops as are creek mouths shelves, etc.  If you're in a boat, use the sonar to locate shools and then drift worms, herring, or eels through the school.  USe circle hooks for tis as well.  Keep the drag tight enough to let the fish hook itself, but loose enough to let go if necessary.  Afterall, the inland state record is 54# or something.

Good Luck out there.  It won't be long now. 

Somers

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2004, 11:15 AM »
Some good catches already this year, despite the snow on the opener.  Fish to 30" in the Croton area and points south.  Bloodworms for the time being, but the herring will be along soon.  Try flats on the outgoing tide in 10-15' fow to capitalize on any warming of the water and bass.

mattmull10

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Mothers day is usually prime time in the Albany area. 

gunner1

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2004, 04:56 PM »
]
 :) :) we usually fish for the stripers from shore from catskill to the troy dam...weve got our own little group of striper addicts in new baltimore..at cornel park..you'll find us ther every day from sun up to sun down... ;)

Do you fish from shore on private property or along the railroad tracks? I live in Leeds and do all of my fishing from shore along the tracks in Germantown.

STRIPER

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2004, 07:45 PM »
Herring should be here in about 15 days if the water warms up.I fish out of Henry Hudson park from boat and shore.First fish last year was on April 8th.Gunner we are on the other side of the river no tracks here.Cornell park is open to the public.Good luck to all.

bayonne

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2004, 08:27 PM »
below the g.w is busting open on worms at nite slot fish and some big ones mixed in

gunner1

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2004, 06:55 AM »

.Gunner we are on the other side of the river no tracks here.Cornell park is open to the public.Good luck to all.

DUH!!! I forgot that. You're lucky. AMTRAK keeps shutting down access in certain areas.

got em

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2004, 07:36 AM »
 ;) we fish the troy dam,behind the u-haul place in albany henry hudson park in selkirk  coeymans landing, cornell park in new baltimore,where the catskill creek empties into the hudson in catskill and a few other places on the west side of the hudson river... :) :)..good luck this year..two years ago a very good friend of mine caught and released over 70... ;) ;)..all from shore..who needs a boat????

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.