FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Baitcast Reel tips  (Read 3996 times)

Gorilla

Baitcast Reel tips
« on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:43 PM »
So I bought my first baitcast reel.  I have been looking at them for a couple of years, and a fishing trip with my brother-in-law got me to pull the trigger.  He was casting further and was able to stop the lure on a dime, to get into the tightest of weedbeds and brush overhangs.

So I picked up a medium combo at Cabelas from Shakespear..  it has a magnetic breaking system and the (I do not know the name) sewing machine looking piece to evenly load the line on the real.  I loaded it up with some 20lb berkley big game braided line and tied on a the heaviest Jig I owned.

I started practicing flipping a little bit in the living room, aiming for the dog's water bowl...  I was doing pretty good at this short distance.  I figured I had the break set right, controlled fall so I decided it was time to give it a real wirl...  well lets just say it was less then successful.   

I started small and could cast 10 - 15 feet with little issue.  Adjusted the break a bit and was doing a little better, but once I tried to cast it with a little bit of force...TWANG backlash stopped the lure halfway out.  I fought out the backlash a couple of times, and was finally able to get a cast to go all the way, and then back to the backlash.

Pretty long set-up for a basic question... any suggestions for using a baitcaster real, or any casting "drills" that can help me out cast that Bro-in-law of mine come our camping trip this summer.

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
Re: Baitcast Reel tips
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Practice, practice and more practice. The magnetic brake system needs to be messed with depending on size of lure. Im no good over hand but got a pretty good side arm. Your thumb plays a big roll too.

Gorilla

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Practice, practice and more practice. The magnetic brake system needs to be messed with depending on size of lure. Im no good over hand but got a pretty good side arm. Your thumb plays a big roll too.
Thanks for the tip, side arm was MUCH better...  still throwing a heavy jig with it, next time I will try downsizing to a jerk bait.

slipperybob

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:06 AM »
Learning to cast your first baitcasting reel is quite a learning experience.  One thing that helps is being able to stabilize your rod at the end of the cast.   That means don't move it or allow the tip to wobble/vibrate.  Most definitely do not pull back on it while the lure is still flying in the air.  Another thing I learned was to feather the spool with your thumb.  I had to develop the feel for allowing the spool to begin spin at the beginning of my cast.  I was sure how to do it at first but just having my thumb close to the spool made a lot of difference.  The line on the spool will unwind at the moment of your cast and it will feather your thumb.  It will dissappear and pull tight on the spool again as the lure continues in mid-flight if you do it right. 
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

stoph

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2010, 01:46 PM »
i was about to ask if you needed to feather casts with a baitcaster. Its something i was taught young and always do out of habit with my spinning reels. It really helps when throwing a 3oz lead over 100yrds carp fishing and helps your presentation land nice and straight and untangled.
 I'll be getting my first baitcaster set up this yr and am looking foreward to the frustrations, then getting it right!

slipperybob

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2010, 02:30 AM »
Rod length plays an important role in learning how to cast with success too.  A short rod allows a lot more control becuase there's less variable on the length of leverage on the cast.  6' or shorter rod may not get you much casting distance, but the backlash can be reduced.  After learning to become more efficient with it, gradually putting more speed on the casts and working towards more casting distance will come.  After a while you'll plateau to your max casting distance for the short rod, then it's time to step up to a longer rod.  It may be another learning process all over again, but things will come easier.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.