FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass Bugs?  (Read 8513 times)

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
Bass Bugs?
« on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Was wondering if anyone here collects their own bass bugs? (AKA mudbugs) they are dragonfly nymphs. I usually collect my own in springtime when the mudholes begin to warm. was wondering if anyone caught any in larger bodies of water..the "mudholes" i usually target are getting harder to find due to drying up or private property postings. They are great panfish bait!
    A Country Boy can Survive!

foxriverrat09

• What's for dinner?
Re: Bass Bugs?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2009, 06:34 AM »
I collect my own bass bugs in the spring time. I haven't had any luck with them on the river...yet. How do you rig them? I'm guessing on a hook and a bobber.
So many gar...so few in my boat!

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2009, 01:30 PM »
i noticed alot of them in the stomachs of the perch i caught out of larger lake this past ice fishing season. i usually put the hook thru the anus ad out the abdomen. they really can outish live bait (redworms, waxies, and spikes)

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2009, 11:23 PM »
huh, i could never have the guts to grab one of those things, (i got bit by one when i was little and now i am totally scared gutless of them ::)) but i never find them except in good trout rivers.  :-\

WeaponsOfBassDestruction

• I Need More Cowbell!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2013, 11:49 AM »
I've always called them perch bugs but I'm sure they are the same thing. How do you guys usually store them? Im going out to pick some coming up and want to store them for a while in between fishing trips. I'm assuming keeping them in water with leaves and dirt should work.

BIGCREW

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2013, 12:04 PM »
my grandfather used to pick them,he would store them in the fridge he had in the basement for his bait,he used burlap cut up in pieces wet to keep them

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Maybe a little clarification is needed, as there are quite a fewbass bugs to be caught.
There are dragonfly nymphs, stonefly nymphs, caddisfly nymphs, mayfly nymphs, hellgramits (dobsonfly nymphs) that come to mind.
Not all are "biters" and depending on the body of water you are checking, their populations will definitely vary from pond to pond.

Let's not forget the grasshopper and cricket as well!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

WeaponsOfBassDestruction

• I Need More Cowbell!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2013, 03:51 PM »
The ones that I usually catch tend to be green eyed dragon fly nymphs.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Yes...dragonfly nymphs...even though it isn't correct, we've always refereed to them as bass bugs here...may be a local slang here

chez

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2013, 02:16 PM »
We catch them in the spring too.We call em bass buggs also.I useally get them in sewer creeks in the mudd.the warmer it gets  the further up they come from the mudd.As far as bigg bodies of water.I have gotten them in lakes up to 20 acers.I get them on the outer edges of the lilly padd on the shorelines working my screen in.YOU WHO PICK THEM KNOW WHAT I MEAN. GREAT TROUT AND PANFISH BAIT.WHY THEY ARE KNOWN AS BASS BUGS IS BEOND ME.We have been calling them that since i can remember and, im now 50.I do remember catching a few small bass on them.ANYONE wants ti know how to pick them can pm me.

gundogwanted

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2013, 05:21 AM »
Was wondering if anyone here collects their own bass bugs? (AKA mudbugs) they are dragonfly nymphs. I usually collect my own in springtime when the mudholes begin to warm. was wondering if anyone caught any in larger bodies of water..the "mudholes" i usually target are getting harder to find due to drying up or private property postings. They are great panfish bait!

Promised Land Lake on the South Shore road. There's a mud creek that runs into the lake there called Big Inlet. Across from Pickeral Point.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.