FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: opening day  (Read 9326 times)

engineman

• Keep your worm wigglin!!
Re: opening day
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2009, 11:37 PM »
I think I'll try fishing the Weir on opening day for Walleye - Iv'e heard it's really good that time of year.
you eat them from the river?

fishnut

« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2009, 01:04 AM »
Never!

ShawnR

« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2009, 09:39 AM »
What's your reasoning for not eating fish from the river? 

engineman

« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2009, 10:38 AM »
What's your reasoning for not eating fish from the river? 
How about downstream from the sewage outflow?

ShawnR

« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2009, 12:54 PM »
How about downstream from the sewage outflow?

Do you think there is raw sewage being pumped into the river?  I know there has been as a result of sewage spills, but this is rare as far as I know.  Do you think these fish don't get eaten out of Tobin or other places down river for that reason?  I know a lot of people don't eat fish out of the river for a various number of reasons, but I wouldn't hesitate to if I wanted fish and caught a couple nice eaters.  Maybe I'm in the minority and need to be enlightened.

fishnut

« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Well they say 1 fish per month is alright, but I wouldn't even eat that.  The reason being is the fish have high mercury levels.

ShawnR

« Reply #21 on: Apr 08, 2009, 07:15 PM »
I'm sure that it was one meal of fish a week where mercury levels were high.  The mercury doesn't scare me.  I guarantee that a lot of lakes around have high mercury levels in them especially one's that are surrounded by farmland (all the reservoirs around Saskatoon), but they haven't been tested.  As long as you aren't eating the big old fish, I think you would be fine.  The less people eating fish with mercury in them, the more fish in the water for others to catch, so it's a win-win. 

fishnut

« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:08 PM »
If you say so Shawn

ShawnR

« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:34 PM »
To each his own.

fishnut

« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Hey Shawn, are the first four lettes of your last name Resc?  I think I might know you.

engineman

« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2009, 07:00 AM »
To each his own.
yup....enjoy those fish, and I hope you're right.

ShawnR

« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Fishnut:  That is not my last name!

Engineman: I hope I'm right too!  To this day, I haven't ate a single fish out of the river.  If I do get some nice eaters out of there this year that I keep, I'll let you know if I survive!

eyefriendly

« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2009, 11:16 PM »
  I live in Regina and have often thought that it would be pretty good to have a river running through it. All we got is Pat's Pond (Wascana)! So I was wondering how the walleye fishing is in and around Saskatoon? Are there good shore fishing spots along the river? I've heard of the Weir, where is this? I often go up to SIR or the roundy rounds and wouldn't mind trying a little bit of angling.
  Would it be a good idea to bring a boat? Are there good launches in the city or out of town? Are there big Walleye in there just like Nipawin/Tobin?
  I don't blame anyone for being hesitant to eat fish out of certain waters, it doesn't seem to matter if you're fishing southern lakes or southern rivers (anywhere near or downstream of either agriculture or cities) there is the concern of contamination.
  I myself try to keep only the small (2#or less) for shore lunch or let them go. My theory is the smaller the fish, the less the contamination. I hope I'm right! Has anyone found anything on the Interweb? Any good sites?
 I can't wait to set the hook!!! 

ShawnR

« Reply #28 on: Apr 10, 2009, 02:26 AM »
I share the same mentality as you eyefriendly and you are right about eating smaller fish.  They contain less mercury and I would assume other contaminants as well simply because they haven't been around as long.  The walleye fishing can be excellent around Saskatoon and there is always a possibility of catching a real hawg too!  There are some decent shore fishing spots around Saskatoon.  The weir is not hard to miss.  You can access it right on Spadina crescent.  There are a ton of other possibilities, you just might have to do some hiking through bush, etc.  I occasionally see people with boats in the water.  I think there is only one place that you can launch a boat (I could be wrong though) and it is close to the Broadway bridge.  Hope that helps out a bit!

blades

« Reply #29 on: Apr 10, 2009, 08:17 PM »
 i just bought a new four stroke and will be trying my luck at the zelma reservoirif the ice is off that is

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.