FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: opening day  (Read 9323 times)

fatleroy

Re: opening day
« Reply #30 on: Apr 11, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Hello Flames Fan
There is good pike, walleye, perch, carp and white sucker fishing all the way out to Highway #6 and Highway #99 junction. The time of day, weather ( sun, wind, rain ) all play factors though. Also there is a lot of pressure applied from other anglers trying their luck, which also has a lot to do with it.   

Flames Fan

« Reply #31 on: Apr 15, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Thanks for the info fatleroy.  I will probably try my luck along the river on opening day then, if the weather cooperates.  Do you float bobbers, cast jigs, rig?  Or am I asking for too much info now? :P  Thanks for the help!

fishnut

« Reply #32 on: Apr 15, 2009, 07:32 PM »
These message boards are here to help you, me and everyone else.  There's no such thing as asking too much info lol.   

Try Jigs if your going for walleye and if your going for pike, try a Bobber with a minow an inch off the bottom  in shallow water.

engineman

• Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 16, 2009, 08:12 AM »
These message boards are here to help you, me and everyone else.  There's no such thing as asking too much info lol.   

Try Jigs if your going for walleye and if your going for pike, try a Bobber with a minow an inch off the bottom  in shallow water.
And just remember....if we don't know the answer we'll be glad to make one up!!!

buzzbomb

« Reply #34 on: Apr 17, 2009, 09:57 AM »
Is there still an early openning restriction on Valeport ??? Have last year's guide- nothing mentioned in there. Any info anyone ???

As usual the Valeport marsh is closed for the first couple of weeks.  I think that's to protect any walleye that may still be spawning in there.  From the mouth of the river at Last Mtn. (where the CPR bridge used to cross to the causeway at the picnic area) to the main PFRA floodgate, (the big wooden control gate 3/4 of the way west on the southern causeway) it's open from May 16 till Feb 28.  Almost every year we see a big pickeral or jack come out of the picnic area, but it's a rarity.  Most of the guys down there are either fishing for carp or throwing steel at jacks but I don't think I'd waste my time pike fishing there.  The river is clearing up nicely but there was still ice all over the lake when I was out on Tues.  Even Pelican Pte. which usually has lots of open water only had a tiny bit around the point.
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

Whytie

« Reply #35 on: Apr 17, 2009, 02:13 PM »
so only 2 weeks till opener i think i'll be shore fishing out at blackstrap weather permitting if not the wier sounds promising.

fishnut

« Reply #36 on: Apr 17, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I think it's going to be a repeat of last year, where people will be ice fishing on opening day.

fatleroy

« Reply #37 on: Apr 19, 2009, 10:43 AM »
buzzbomb thanks for the heads up didn't realize it was under Last Mountain Lake closures, not listing Valeport, in the angler's guide.
Flames Fan in general I like to use a ACME LITTLE CLEO 5/8 oz yellow 4 diamond red for pike, blue/silver 5/8 oz LITTLE CLEO for walleye, this preference because of the backside silver flash given. Len Thompson 00 (double zero) white/orange spoon is a good substitute. This allows a good quick water coverage to get across the water channel. A good time to fish the PFRA d**n structure is the evenings Wednesday and on during the Farm Progress Show, here the slipbobber works well, float rigs, crank bait and rubber tail jigheads BLACK. The fireflies are out so take a sealer to catch a few for entertainment. These are things that have prove effective for myself and friends, enjoy.

buzzbomb

« Reply #38 on: Apr 27, 2009, 03:16 PM »
I'm out on the deck at Pelican Pointe and she's froze up except for an 80yd circle.  From Valeport to Lumsden Beach is open but it's going to be iffy this year.
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

blades

« Reply #39 on: Apr 27, 2009, 09:17 PM »
yeah the same for blackstrap, froze pretty good still,and i wanted to break the new motor in before the season started,Guess i will have to wait

engineman

• Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #40 on: Apr 28, 2009, 12:55 PM »
looks like the strap is just barely going to make it for the opener this year.

ShawnR

« Reply #41 on: Apr 28, 2009, 04:16 PM »
looks like the strap is just barely going to make it for the opener this year.

Does that mean that you think all the ice will be off by Saturday?  Last I heard, it wasn't looking good out at the Strap.

blades

« Reply #42 on: Apr 28, 2009, 10:54 PM »
ya i don't think you will be able to fish from shore even ,never in a boat.What a shame our summers are short enough as it is one less weekend on the open water i guess.

poorfisherman

« Reply #43 on: Apr 29, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Does anyone know if deif will be clear for the second?

ShawnR

« Reply #44 on: Apr 29, 2009, 10:31 AM »
ya i don't think you will be able to fish from shore even ,never in a boat.What a shame our summers are short enough as it is one less weekend on the open water i guess.

We were probably due for this with the great October and early November weather we had!  I remember fishing at the very end of October in shorts. 

Does anyone know if deif will be clear for the second?

I have no idea, but I wouldn't imagine that it's clear.  I'm sure you can find areas to shore fish there though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.