FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flippin/Pitching Rods  (Read 3194 times)

Browntrout08

Flippin/Pitching Rods
« on: May 05, 2004, 07:13 PM »
I'm looking to get a good rod for pitching heavy jigs.  I still have yet to find a rod that is comfortable for this style of fishing.  Any suggestions?

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Flippin/Pitching Rods
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 08:44 AM »
Keep looking
Finding a rod for yourself is no easy task. A pitching rod or flippin stick is long heavy and bulky in the first place. Get someone in the store to put a reel on it to balance the outfit then try it out, the rod alone will make it feel to bulky.
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

Browntrout08

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 07:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply Coldfeet.  I'm going to go with a St. Croix 6'6 med rod.  Maybe the shorter rod will help.  I have a 7 footer and its uncomfortable, I don't know how those guys use those long rods when flipping.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 08:25 AM »
Browntrout
 I got a couple 7-6 rods for flipping and after a short time on the water my wrists are killing me. So this is what I do, Take a broom handle or a piece of dowl about 18" long and tie a piece of rope on it then tie a weight to the rope then hold on to the dowl and rolll the weight up till it come to your hand then unroll it. Do this for a couple weeks then go out and try fishing with the longer rod. You will notice how strong you wrists got and how much longer you can fish without discomfort. Your wrists don't get muuch excersise and a little workout on them helps a ton. Who ever said fishing was relaxing.
Good Luck
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

Browntrout08

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Thats a good idea Coldfeet, I'll have to give that a try.  I decided on a 6'8" heavy St. Croix rod.  This gives an excuse to buy another reel, hmm, which one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.