FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Whats better for cutbait?  (Read 8568 times)

BBK

Whats better for cutbait?
« on: Apr 28, 2009, 07:28 PM »
Which is better for cutbait, chubs and shiners or white suckers? Planning on going catfishing on thurs. and need to know what to keep when i go for a bait run tomarrow.

I happen to live right next to a creek thats absolutly full of chubs, shiners, suckers, smallmouth bass, and carp.

bighof

Re: Whats better for cutbait?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2009, 07:39 PM »
i always use sucker meat.... sure the others would work fine though. ;D
I had a secret spot once... But I forgot where it was

BBK

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2009, 07:42 PM »
I know i could keep chubs alive but i dont think i can keep some 12-15" suckers alive for a day. Would it be anygood if they were dead?

BBK

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Just got back with three 15" suckers. I put them in a big blue barrel with 20g of water and 2 airstones. Should be enough current to keep them alive.

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2009, 06:13 PM »
What species of cats are you fishing for BBK? Up here in manitoba we only have channel cats but they get huge and they'll eat frozen suckers and goldeyes/mooneyes among many other species of baitfish. I prefer fresh cut but always bring some frozen as a back up.

BBK

« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I fish for channel and flathead. Mostly channel.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2009, 11:07 AM »
Sometimes a mashed whole chub is better than a piece of cut sucker. Just put your boot heel on it to juice it up a bit. ;)

I have used both, and have never seen a preference for a cut piece of meat over a mashed whole shiner or chub. I have seen a preference for whole bait over cut bait. The trick is to beat the bait up real good just before you cast it out.

I have not fished flatheads much, mostly channels in the Mississippi, Snake, or St Croix Rivers. Flatheads do not live this far north. :'(

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2009, 11:52 AM »
I mostly use mooneye for cut bait BBK, I can catch 3-4 on the shallows below a sandbar on worms or corn and I have enough for throwlines. I catch Channels and Yellows, I have used Quillback and Suckers also. As far as keeping them alive I don't, but I use them the same day I catch them most of the time. If I don't use them that day I keep them alive in a livebox in the river in front of the cabin.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

FISHAHOLIC-19

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2009, 12:37 PM »
I would fish cut bait during the day and live bait at night for flatties.

mschott

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2009, 09:51 PM »
haven't used cut bait since the last time i went fishing with my grand dad,but he always insisted we used  fish belly's. suckers big chubs or his favorite was sunfish 
belly's.

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2009, 11:43 PM »
I caught this 38" on a 2" sucker steak.

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2009, 10:22 AM »
For any hardcore channel catfisherman I definatly suggest coming up here to Manitoba (Canada) To fish the Red or assiniboine rivers in the Red you can catch 30 or more channel cats over 34" a day it's absolutly amazing alot of guys up here get bored catching so many lol We have strict regulations only allowing an angler to keep four cats under 24" so the big girls all get released to get bigger.... I won't even get into the massive walleyes in the red cause thats a whole nother topic  8)

slipperybob

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Sometimes a mashed whole chub is better than a piece of cut sucker. Just put your boot heel on it to juice it up a bit. ;)

I have used both, and have never seen a preference for a cut piece of meat over a mashed whole shiner or chub. I have seen a preference for whole bait over cut bait. The trick is to beat the bait up real good just before you cast it out.

I have not fished flatheads much, mostly channels in the Mississippi, Snake, or St Croix Rivers. Flatheads do not live this far north. :'(

I did the boot heel once...it was just to much of a heel.  ;D so now I use the front of the foot...just enough weight.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

fishinn

« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:11 AM »
For any hardcore channel catfisherman I definatly suggest coming up here to Manitoba (Canada) To fish the Red or assiniboine rivers in the Red you can catch 30 or more channel cats over 34" a day it's absolutly amazing alot of guys up here get bored catching so many lol We have strict regulations only allowing an angler to keep four cats under 24" so the big girls all get released to get bigger.... I won't even get into the massive walleyes in the red cause thats a whole nother topic  8)

AMEN TH!!!!

It can get boring but it's still just about enough to make a guy give up walleye fishing  (okay maywe not).

Seriously I'm sure there's hitting grounds on the Mississippi and elsewhere but they get stacked up in Lockport in Manitoba.

Fishin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.