FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp after the catch  (Read 11266 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Carp after the catch
« on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:00 AM »
After catching/arrowing the Carp, what if any, are the uses you have for the fish?

Catch and release is an obvious finish to a good tight line fight.

Garden fertillizer (lots of it) comes to mind.

Anyone actually find them good eating in the early Spring? How late in the season before you want to keep them off the dinner plate?

Curious minds ??? ??? ???

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Carp after the catch
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2004, 01:47 PM »
I have nothing against those who bow hunt carp. It's legal and their choice.

Ol Liver Lips gets a 2nd chance with me....I put them back. It's the wonderful thing about fishing..you CAN put them back.

With the health advisories on carp, I wouldn't eat them although many countries consider them a delicacy.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

suskymusky

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:31 PM »
They make great fertilizer for Tomato plants.You have to bury them deep or cats and skunks will dig them up.As far as eating them, I gave some carp to a friend years ago, and she smoked them.She gave me a plateful, and it was actually pretty tasty.I catch and release them when fishing with rod and reel, but I think you have to "thin the herd" and target them with the bow when they spawn.They lay millions of eggs and most of them hatch.Its about the only time you can sneak up on them, unless you're in a canoe, because they are careless when they are in love, and let their guard down.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:45 AM »
Suskymusky,

Do they spawn as early as Suckers, mid April or so?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Somers

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 10:02 AM »
I find the spawn in So. NY is later than that.  Mid May usually.

I used to give them to my Grandmother years ago.  She would make soup out of them.  Head and all lol.  I've tried smoking them, but they're too hard to light.  JK, not bad when smoked either.

These fish are from relatively clean water though.  NYC reservoir system generally.  I wouldn't keep any from the Hudson or local park ponds and such.  They tend to tolerate really filthy water.

suskymusky

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 10:03 AM »
Nope, they spawn a little later when the water warms up a bit.The middle of May seems to be the time around here.The best time of day for me is 10 or 11 o'clock in the morning,just before the sun is overhead.When I see them splashing around, I swap my rod for my compound bow and ruin their day.I only get 2 or 3 shots before I spook them.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Recipe for Carp
  • Clean carp, open flat and peg to a suitably sized pine board.
  • Brush generously with butter or oil or alternately drizzle with lemon or lime juice.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper, chili pepper or your favorite spice blend (Cajun, Old Bay etc).
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 375ºF until flesh browns lightly and begins to flake easily from bones.
  • Once thoroughly baked but not over done, remove from oven and separate from board.
  • Set the table and pour a favorite beer or befitting wine.
  • Toss the carp to your cat or dog and eat the pine board.
;)

Powerworm

• There's One!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:14 PM »
LMFAO, Colorodo Ice your hilarious. I'm rolling on the floor.

livin4ice

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2004, 06:39 AM »
LMAO.....That has got to be the best carp recipe I have heard yet.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2004, 06:31 PM »
I have an Elephant recipe similar to that.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:58 PM »
rgfixit,

Yeah, there are versions of this joke that go way back. I just thought I'd run it by again and see who got a kick out of it. 8)

I put all my carp back for someone else to catch.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:05 PM »
That was great, lol, never heard it

MikeMo

• chasing water wolves
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:13 PM »
I always released them hoping I catch him or her agian.

buzzbomb

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2004, 04:38 PM »
These fish are so strong they can really beat themselves up on the shore so precautions can be taken to protect them. First thing I do is bend back the barb on my hook.  I've been doing this for all other species for about 10 years now, so it came pretty easy.  No more fighting with the fish to get my hook back.  An unhooking mat can be purchased or improvised.  I bought used crib matresses from the thrift store, but an air mattress, wetted down to prevent chaffing would be better than nothing.  To carry them from the water to the mat, a sling of some kind is useful.  I'm going to make one by sewing and riveting straps onto a nylon garment bag.  One of these, full of styro pellets would make an unhookng mat as well.  You need the sling to weigh it because anything over 10 pounds and the scale would possibly rip the mouth open.  I've been talking to these British guys and trying to learn a bit about their ledgering method of fishing (they call each other m8, cute, eh?) and they take fish safety pretty seriously.   They've been good to me, so in spite of you guys who advocate the 'Easton Wiggler' as a carp lure, I'm going to advocate being nice to the scaley monsters.  For a look at another method of carp care after the catch check out   http://www.rfshootings.com  and click on portfolio for the slideshow.   It really opened my eyes ;) ;D ;D ;D

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2004, 10:04 AM »
 :o 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.