FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2010 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 716571 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
2010 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:08 PM »
  Happy New Year everybody, if this year is even close to last year, the fishing is going to be spectacular. Hope everyone enjoyed the first thread and maybe picked up a few tips and timed a few runs. Or just laughed a little. I Look forward to hearing everybodies fishing reports or stories or just some BS from the Salmon River and surrounding areas this year. Please feel free to posts pictures, I think everyone on MFF enjoys looking at pictures of our area. I hope everybody has another great season..   Shane M.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

hookembob

Re: 2010 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Happy New Year Snagger. I'm looking forward to getting up to our land in Orwell and hitting the river a lot this year. Waiting for the fall back call in March/April. Big Thank You to JROCK and his family for showing us the ropes, great people great friends. Bob

fishit

« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:04 AM »
Happy New Year...see you in about 3.5 hours...
1,168,124 Trout caught and released since 1997...another good year for the trout...

Flyswatter

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Happy New Year Snagger, Hows Lehigh Valley hitting em?

KingPerch

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:38 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO SNAGGER AND ALL THE FOLKS ON MFF!!! SNAGGER, Hope you have a great 2010 season and THANKS for all the hot tips and info on the SALMON RIVER!!!--KP :)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

dooberhoopa

• ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 12:55 PM »
Snagger i tried to send u a message but ur box is full
Team MIRC NYRC Chapter.....ROCK BASS ON!
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

SNAGGER

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Snagger i tried to send u a message but ur box is full
  Sorry man!!!   It's fine now!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:58 PM »
 Fishing report:  Now that my guests have left, I feel comfortable making my first fishing report in some time. During the winter months, especially after the lower end gets slushed up, the upper end of the River is the only game in Town. So I felt it was not in good judgement to post a report while I had guys out fishing in these harsh conditions.  This year unlike the last 2 seasons, we have not experienced any high waters to speak of since the steelhead started showing up in mid October, thus they have burned very little energy and are living just fine off what they ate out in the lake or from the salmon spawn left overs. This has caused a very tough bite of late, especially with waters dropping back to a more normal winter level we haven't seen in a few years.

I've had guys try pink power worms,half night crawlers,marabou jigs,beads, and sac's under floats with very limited success in the last 2 weeks, but some of these same baits have been working bottom drifting with light shot. Alot of guys fish the Wires and the schoolhouse, but the guys staying here with still large hook up numbers have been doing a little moving and fishing the tighter runs in the area that they fished in November. With the waters down it doesn't take much energy for a steelhead to lay in these runs which are full of oxygen. The only difference now is they are tight to the bottom and don't move far for an offering. It takes alot more knowledge of the River to be successful at bottom drifting some of these snag infested area's than say letting a float glide over it. But with some patience you will be very well rewarded.
Good luck & good fishing!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

KingPerch

« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:27 PM »
How's the hamstring SNAGGER?? And JR. needs a report at his ninja hole!!!  See ya Later!!--KP ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

lehigh vally

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 05:33 PM »
Hay Snagger as usual we had a grate weekend and a grate finish to the 09 season over the Holiday steelhead fishing and also enjoyed getting out on the hard water with you guise. Not sure when I Will be coming back up but I wont miss the derby. Let me know when John sets up your computer.

bigbrookie

« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2010, 06:40 AM »
happy new year guys. havnt been up to the river in over a month, and with good ice it's going to be hard to convince any of my buddies to stand in the river when they can be in thier shantys with their heaters on (i brave the cold myself). I'm sure i'll get out a few times, even if it's by myself. i'll make sure to post reports. snagg, maybe i'll see out on onieda. good luck all

SNAGGER

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2010, 12:05 PM »
happy new year guys. havnt been up to the river in over a month, and with good ice it's going to be hard to convince any of my buddies to stand in the river when they can be in thier shantys with their heaters on (i brave the cold myself). I'm sure i'll get out a few times, even if it's by myself. i'll make sure to post reports. snagg, maybe i'll see out on onieda. good luck all
 Hopefully be out on Onieda Sunday through Wednesday somewhere, the Rivers at 285 plus cold weather coming this weekend, should slush it up bigtime from Pineville down. Only 1 car in the lot right now, can't see the other parking area's, but it's pretty slow up here now, River needed a break, hope it stays cold for a month.. Should be a good weekend for the snow guys up on the Tug....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2010, 03:29 PM »
    A few people kicking around today, but with temps only making it up to 10 degrees and now free falling through the single numbers, only a couple vehicles with the River to them selves.  Going to be WELL BELOW zero tonight, should be good steam and rime frost tomorrow morning... good luck out there!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

getthenet007

« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2010, 03:48 PM »
Rime frost?  Is that what you call it when the ice crystals kinde freeze upwards on the trees next to the river?  
I saw that last winter for the first time, and thought it was real cool lookin!  I wish i took a picture!
Hope your hammer em at Onieda SNAGGER!!!!  :flex:

SNAGGER

« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Rime frost?  Is that what you call it when the ice crystals kinde freeze upwards on the trees next to the river?  
I saw that last winter for the first time, and thought it was real cool lookin!  I wish i took a picture!
Hope your hammer em at Onieda SNAGGER!!!!  :flex:
  How have you been man.. Should have some rime frost with these temps!!!

That's minus 15 and falling..

2am   Could we hit 20 below zero!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.