FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some Intersting Quotes From Todays Call  (Read 3829 times)

BaitWrangler

Some Intersting Quotes From Todays Call
« on: Mar 24, 2010, 01:39 PM »
In todays Woonsocket  Call they have a fishing article on the front page. The article is article is excerpt from a press release from the DEM. A couple things jumped out to me. (And I'm not really a Trout guy.)

In the article/release it says they expect 20,000 anglers on opening day alone. But apparently they are only stocking a cumulative 80,000 fish in more than 100 areas.  I know they will stock more (into select areas) in the fall mainly but also from time to time... but that just does not sound like a lot of fish.

Anyways, the article also has a big mistake in it. It reads "Children, ages 14 and younger, are restricted from fishing at ponds throughout the state. However, both Cass Pond in Woonsocket and Slater Park Pond in Pawtucket will be open for children on the first two days of the fishing season."   

LOL How funny would be that... Sorry no kids.

nitro185

Re: Some Intersting Quotes From Todays Call
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Sucks for them lol

halfhooked

• anything more would be shopping
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2010, 12:02 AM »
that's a misprint there are a few ponds in the state that are kid ponds only of the 20000 fisherman expected probably only 15 or 20% of them will catch and keep fish some will get skunked some will be so drunk from being up all night partying the night before they wont even fish but I will be out there with 6 youngsters from church trying to get them hooked on fishing when these kids catch fish magic happens and another generation gets turned on to the outdoors

petrgill

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Not a big trout guy myself either.  Nice to get a few now and then and opening day is just too crazy.  Even the day after is a better time to go in my book. 

BaitWrangler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2010, 09:20 AM »
Glad to see some responses to the discussion guys. We are looking like the other forums now! LOL

Yes Ed thats definently a misprint. As you indicated, those two ponds are kids only - not the only two ponds kids can fish in.  In the DEM's press release though they do say it correctly, its just in the Call the messed it up.

I like how you break it down a little bit to justify the numbers somewhat. I originally had done a little of that but erased it to keep my post short. I think you would agree 80,000 is still weak. (Although you've said you have some nice Trout spots that do not dry up.)

Would you beleive in NY this year they are dropping 350K Trout by helicopter into remote locations so that way it will start new trout areas to be discovered by backpackers/hikers, etc? Our state is too small, but it makes you think, if they can fool around with double the # of Trout we stock in a year then thats pretty bad.  :laugh:

BaitWrangler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2010, 09:29 AM »
The real point of the post though was to point out those numbers to anyone who may not have seen them, not to express any displease in how many Trout their are.  As long as those who enjoy catching trout get to! I always go out on opening day just as tradition and I know I don't have a problem - but then again its like a fish tank.

Additionally I hope those who aren't regular fisherman don't take the article seriously and actually think children can't fish throughout the state.

petrgill

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2010, 10:35 AM »
This post made me think about how when I was a kid I could catch trout on crawlers no problem.  No except for one time at Wilson's here we were hitting them non-stop I haven't hit a trout on a crawler in years.  Wonder if that has to do with the hatchery vs natural raised.    I hear how Tucker is a great trout pond but I guess maybe I need to use flys, it does have nice bass and perch though.

BaitWrangler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2010, 12:31 PM »
This post made me think about how when I was a kid I could catch trout on crawlers no problem.  No except for one time at Wilson's here we were hitting them non-stop I haven't hit a trout on a crawler in years.  Wonder if that has to do with the hatchery vs natural raised.    I hear how Tucker is a great trout pond but I guess maybe I need to use flys, it does have nice bass and perch though.

Probably from being thrown pellets. Although I do drive around and see some people catching them (on the bottom) with power bait - god I hate that stuff.

I have been thinking about learning to fly fish too.  Read up on Deep Pd. its a 19 acre pond that is one of the few places in the state that exhibits the properties of a natural Trout pond and its fly fishing only. I bet you that place has some secrets hidden in it.

halfhooked

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2010, 12:09 AM »
You would love Deep pond not for the fly fishing but for the go-zillion shiners that are there it is a small pond pretty deep surrounded by brush and trees and they have I think 4 piers more like narrow boat docks one at all 4 corners if you can have corners on a round pond the fly fishing is a little slow there I think because of the massive numbers of shiners and polliwogs

petrgill

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2010, 08:03 AM »
You would love Deep pond not for the fly fishing but for the go-zillion shiners that are there it is a small pond pretty deep surrounded by brush and trees and they have I think 4 piers more like narrow boat docks one at all 4 corners if you can have corners on a round pond the fly fishing is a little slow there I think because of the massive numbers of shiners and polliwogs
So that begs the question if it's fly fishing only can you drop a bait trap legally?  Is a bait trap considered fishing? Only after the trout season opens?  Things to ponder as the snow falls here in Walpole, MA.

BaitWrangler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2010, 01:48 PM »
Mind if I switch brains with you for a day Ed?  :P Too bad that place isn't closer - sounds neat.  Although I wonder if the place demonstrates such favorable measurements, why is it packed with shiners? You would think they would reclaim it to make way for at least one trophy Trout fishery in the state.

BaitWrangler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2010, 02:24 PM »
So that begs the question if it's fly fishing only can you drop a bait trap legally?  Is a bait trap considered fishing? Only after the trout season opens?  Things to ponder as the snow falls here in Walpole, MA.

There are a bunch of smaller areas within that watershed you could try without having to even attempt there I'd bet. Lawfully you can trap there if you'd like as well, as it does specifically mention "in any waters of this state". If you do however, follow the rules with traps that are 1/4". Sienes may be used as well but they can only be 8x4 so you need a tiny area. You can apply for a permit and pay more to use larger sienes but only in certain watersheds.

You would still like to find a private pond however, as they are not subject to regulations. (Trap size, siene, or possession/sale restrictions.) They fall under artifically cultivated fish as there is no license or proof required except that the pond needs to be on private property and the landowner has to pay taxes.

halfhooked

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2010, 10:04 PM »
 It  has been reclaimed at least once but some scallywags have contaminated it again with all the bait in there it has the potential to produce a real monster those nerdowells have also at different times put largemouth panfish in there

BaitWrangler

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2010, 09:52 AM »
It  has been reclaimed at least once but some scallywags have contaminated it again with all the bait in there it has the potential to produce a real monster those nerdowells have also at different times put largemouth panfish in there

Thats a shame Ed.

Theres no mention of it being reclaimed in my resources but essentially every watershed that I've ever read being reclaimed partially owns its downfall to illegal stocking of warm water species. (LMB mainly) On the same token I'm not sure how reliable those reports are from other ponds - whether the reclaimation process actually eradicates 100% of the fish. Assuming it does, you can catch a Bass anywhere and to put some back (or any species) into a reclaimed pond is nonsense. 

Do you remember how they remclained it Ed? Rotenone? They were mad scientists back then and little of what they did worked, now a days I think its more about finding an ecological balance and I'm not sure if they care to do so. Especially around here a lot of efforts are costal, which is very understandable, our oceans are an extremele valueable resource.

Either way our state authors their plans in pansy fields anyways. Their scared to put game fish anywhere near trout, or balance out the Trout program in favor of the other game fish due to personal and political reasons brought on from the pressure of conservation groups. You all would be surprised at the info thats our there if you ask for it.

halfhooked

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:38 AM »
I'm not sure but when they reclaimed Ashville pond that's how they did it they just poisoned everything but at that time suckers had taken over there was thousands of them we used to stand on shore right next to the road with frog gigs and spear them and throw them over the embankment on other side of the roadyou didn't even need to chum them in they would just come right up to bank for you of course after you gigged a couple the water started to get a little bloody but all three of those ponds were over run with suckers all about 8 inches to a 12 inches and not much of anything else Blue pond  and long pond  were the other two ponds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.