FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some Intersting Quotes From Todays Call  (Read 3830 times)

BaitWrangler

Re: Some Intersting Quotes From Todays Call
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Thanks for that info Ed.

Sounds fun to spear those. You guys must have had some fun doing that back in the day!

I just don't see the likelihood of rotenone working on a pond of that scale given its known effects. To undertake a project such as even Ashville would take an immense amount of the chemical to erridicate all of the fish successfully.  Deep pond, being about 4x deeper than Ashville I'd say has (had) absolutely no chance at being reclaimed through that process. Its just not how the poison works at its best capacity. Would be pretty neat to read reports of the process' or hear first hand accounts of people who saw them doing it. I will say the folk back then were extremely deveoted to the state fisheries and only doing what were known and accepted practices at the time. If only these same people were still around today I have a feeling they would be doing a lot of good.

Ed, the 'book' mentions after Ashville was reclimed they put Channels in there and then a subsequent survey found none.  Excluding other places, but if you mind, are you aware of any in there now? I'm wondering just out of curiousity sake.  Those 3 ponds would make some excellent Pike water given the soft scaled prey populations, and some excellent Catfish water as well. Additionally Deep Pd. could maybe still have the qualities to be a self sustaining Trout pd. provided the balance is corrected - but it will only be done if the men with their fingers on the trigger buck up and admit its time for some changes. In MA, CT and NY they are not scared to put Pike and Catfish near Trout. Not only are our guys scared to but we have a lot less to work with.  Makes you wonder though how they can still stock more Trout but sustain their Walleye, Catfish, Kokanee, etc programs.

Aw well. I guess thats why we all debate on whether we will spend the money to get an out of state Mass or CT license and half the people here in RI don't even buy  a resident one.  

halfhooked

• anything more would be shopping
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2010, 12:18 AM »
I have never caught a channel in any of the 3 hopkinton ponds only bullhead and all of them on the small side  Deep pond is now part of the Narragansett Indian land and not really accessable to general public there is another pond in hopkinton off the yellow dot trail some call it deep pond also or shaky bottom  small pond I never have tried to fish it

BaitWrangler

« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2010, 08:30 AM »
I have never caught a channel in any of the 3 hopkinton ponds only bullhead and all of them on the small side  Deep pond is now part of the Narragansett Indian land and not really accessable to general public there is another pond in hopkinton off the yellow dot trail some call it deep pond also or shaky bottom  small pond I never have tried to fish it

Thanks for that bit Ed! You really are a gold mine on info on the Southern part of the state.

I don't have records of after those events but I figured they likely stopped in at least that one area after their sampling yielded no results. In my opinion we have the oppurtunity to have Catfish waters here in there but its all about what ponds and what species. Channels do not naturally inhabit areas with dense vegatation - they like sandy/rocky bottoms, so obviously 95% of our state is unsuitable for the species.

Currently I am aware of more watersheds with Whites in them than they were originally documented to be stocked in. I beleive as a result of illegal transportation, but in the 70's you could also contact various biologist and recieve jars of fry I've heard.  Then theres the potential they just leak into other places naturally.

There is also a place in the state where Blue cats can be found. Its private (or at least use to be). I'm sure one of you guys must have a contact to get access to it or a nearby area. I'll let you all figure it out for yourselves if you want to.

But it shows large Catfish species can survive in our waters given the appriopriate potential.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.