FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sight Fishing for Carp  (Read 3423 times)

Rusty1034

• He's gota be happy with that one
Sight Fishing for Carp
« on: May 29, 2004, 10:07 AM »
Howdy All,

I was on the Seneca River yesterday and found a shallow spot where I saw some carp cruising.

I quickly went into florida flats fishing mode and started casting to them with worms.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any hookups, and kicked myself for not bringing any corn.  Now I'm racking my brain to try and remember some more places I've been where I can try some more of this.

I'll have to keep a rod loaded up witha hair rig ready to go.  I'll let you know what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of one of those monsters soon.

Rusty.

Eat farm raised fish
Practice catch and release.
Walleyes get released in the fryer

reubenpa

Re: Sight Fishing for Carp
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 08:46 PM »
they bite flies...   I got a big one within 13 feet of me, and there were fish swarming the area.  Carry corn, and hope is all I know.
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2004, 10:53 AM »
In my experience carp are very smart when it comes to angling pressure and they spook very easily Have you tried fluorocarbon line? I really like Berkely vanish it is almost invisible in water it might help.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2004, 09:36 PM »
I was sight fishing for them with tiny torpedos imitating cicadas that were falling into the water.  The carp were checking out any floating item cruising just under the surface.  It was exactly like you'd target bonefish or redfish on the flats because you had to cast ahead of them and gently twitch the lure to attract them.  If you cast too close or twitched too much, they were spooked.  I caught 8 and my buddy caught 7.  I've posted pics on a carp thread on the general page...

Cicadas... wow!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2004, 03:31 PM »
The other day on the yampa river, I saw many carp that were 4 ft. + in length and looked like huge submarines. The water was crystal clear, and many would swim within feet of my legs, all the while just staring at me like, "you wanna take me on buddy?" I'm serious, I bet these things were 35lbs.+

All I know is these things weren't scared of me, I was scared of them they were so huge!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.