FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout spawning  (Read 2665 times)

13fish

Trout spawning
« on: Apr 13, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Hi All,

I'm somewhat new to this trout thing, so please forgive my ignorance. A buddy of mine caught a nice 18" rainbow somewhat close to the beginning of the Charles River. After he brought it home and cleaned it he discovered it was loaded with eggs. What are odds of any of these eggs hatching in the wild there? Can a stock trout spawn? I would imagine only certain, special waters can holdover trout, never mind spawn. But could it happen in the Charles?

Thanks in advance

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: Trout spawning
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Hi All,

I'm somewhat new to this trout thing, so please forgive my ignorance. A buddy of mine caught a nice 18" rainbow somewhat close to the beginning of the Charles River. After he brought it home and cleaned it he discovered it was loaded with eggs. What are odds of any of these eggs hatching in the wild there? Can a stock trout spawn? I would imagine only certain, special waters can holdover trout, never mind spawn. But could it happen in the Charles?

Thanks in advance

Great question. I know brookies do reproduce in some Mass. streams and I have heard of rainbows but in the Charles. I don't know.

MA bass fishing

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Because the trout are kept in the hatchery tanks the spawning process is year round. Some of the fish they stock have eggs in them. There's not many fisheries that rainbows reproduce in mass.

13fish

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Well, this about sums it up! It's not PA, but I would imagine it's similar. Thanks for the reply's.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish/trout_spawn.htm

JoeG

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2010, 10:54 AM »
They go through the motions of spawning. Some strains spawn in the spring and some in the fall. The eggs don't survive because the water in NH is way to acidic for bows. I would imagine it's the same for Mass. Spawning process is not year-round

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.