FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pretty Mirror  (Read 3270 times)

BaitWrangler

Pretty Mirror
« on: Apr 17, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I had to work this morning and went to bait a spot nearby when I left. Fog was rolling across the pond but I could see there was a lot of activity happening on the bottom.  If your familiar with the sport you can tell the difference between Catfish and Carp feeding versus bugs on the surface.   It was too nice to pass up so I stood outside in the rain for a short while and produced this pretty little Mirror of about 5 pounds Max.

Most the Mirrors from this area are not as nice looking. This has the "wild Carp" shape to it (elongated body and proportinate frame), as well as very nice coloration. You can read about the wild Carp phenomenon on google but anyways I thought I'd share.

Didn't have the real camera as I didn't think I'd be fishing.

lavaman

Re: Pretty Mirror
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2010, 09:37 PM »
wow that's a sweetheart. nice job scouting. i'm ready. shoot me a pm.

BaitWrangler

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2010, 09:18 AM »
wow that's a sweetheart. nice job scouting. i'm ready. shoot me a pm.

Thanks Kevin, mark May 1 down but hopefully we will get out earlier too.  Your going to freak, I have a feeling some destruction may happen. There will be some real heavy weights meeting that day and at a good site.  Currently we're trying to figure out exactly where we will be fishing but the water is chosen.

I just made some fresh bait as well. ;)  During the inital part of the year it's fine to be lazy and use flavored sweet corn but right about now the Bluegill and Turtles start to become a problem so you have to switch over to Maize as its more durable and it typically doesn't come off unless its consumed. Maize is also neat because it's cheap (50lbs for $10) and its a fresh slate to do as you please with.  

lavaman

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Thanks Kevin, mark May 1 down but hopefully we will get out earlier too.  Your going to freak, I have a feeling some destruction may happen. There will be some real heavy weights meeting that day and at a good site.  Currently we're trying to figure out exactly where we will be fishing but the water is chosen.

I just made some fresh bait as well. ;)  During the inital part of the year it's fine to be lazy and use flavored sweet corn but right about now the Bluegill and Turtles start to become a problem so you have to switch over to Maize as its more durable and it typically doesn't come off unless its consumed. Maize is also neat because it's cheap (50lbs for $10) and its a fresh slate to do as you please with.  

OK. IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.

Cabin Fevor

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Haven't been on line a bit since hard water ended, but BaitWrangler did I read that right "I had to WORK this morning?"  :clapping:

BaitWrangler

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Haven't been on line a bit since hard water ended, but BaitWrangler did I read that right "I had to WORK this morning?"  :clapping:

You know me KB, I like to switch it up a little bit sometimes. Haha.

Hey at least I'm not out the bars and what not.  I sit at home every night reading and designing new things. It's a good thing I don't look like a point-dexter with freckles and glasses or else everyone would rip on me more than they already do.   :laugh:

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Nice mirror!!  8) I caught a nice one up here a few years ago very cool looking at the time I just thought it was a common carp with wierd scales.  ;D There are some massive carp around where I live but I haven't ever targeted them with the proper gear.

BaitWrangler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Nice mirror!!  8) I caught a nice one up here a few years ago very cool looking at the time I just thought it was a common carp with wierd scales.  ;D There are some massive carp around where I live but I haven't ever targeted them with the proper gear.

There are some ridiclous fish up there TrophyHunter.  I'd trade nearly every fish I've caught for a chance to fish a couple lakes up there.   Up in your area folks are a bit less ignorant twoards them - combined with the fact that there are more larger fish around makes for some amazing fish captures.

If you ever decide to target them and  need assistance with rigging/etc I'd be glad to help.  Also, I can set you up with some of my contacts up there if you need advice on areas to target.  I'd like to see you get some fish if your from such a nice place!

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2010, 11:19 AM »
There are some ridiclous fish up there TrophyHunter.  I'd trade nearly every fish I've caught for a chance to fish a couple lakes up there.   Up in your area folks are a bit less ignorant twoards them - combined with the fact that there are more larger fish around makes for some amazing fish captures.

If you ever decide to target them and  need assistance with rigging/etc I'd be glad to help.  Also, I can set you up with some of my contacts up there if you need advice on areas to target.  I'd like to see you get some fish if your from such a nice place!

Hey thanks very much BW!!  8) I've seen some gigantic carp around here had a couple hooked and they absolutly destroyed my too light gear I was using walleye gear to catch freshwater drum. I'm thinking my cat set up would work I have a bait clicker on my reel so they could run with it till I put the brakes on em. And it should handle a 40- 50 lb carp I caught the sturgeon in my avatar with it. I like using braid as a mainline and a mono leader to absorb some of the shock. I have a very limited knowledge of some of the rigs I've heard of hair rigs and bolt rigs but have absolutly no idea how to tie them and what hooks to use. If you don't mind i'd love to learn all i can about carp fishing  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.