FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tough Musky!!  (Read 8381 times)

Jigwiggler

Tough Musky!!
« on: Jun 29, 2004, 05:45 PM »
Any of you musky guys ever run into a particular fish that you encounter often but just can't catch?  I have been pursueing a very large fish for some time now and I just can't seem to fool it.  I have had it follow several times only to watch it turn and sink into the depths and have watched it feeding only to have it turn up its nose to all of my offering.  I have to admit, I'm bordering on being obcessed with this fish.  :o 

Anyway, has anyone found a productive pattern to entice these super elusive fish?  If so I am all ears.  Feel free to respond here, PM, email me, write a letter or send a response Fed EX!!  ;D

It's not that I can't catch musky, I just haven't been able to catch this particular fish.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Esox

Re: Tough Musky!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2004, 09:12 PM »
Have you tried large plastic jerkbaits? 10" Fin-S fish (no weight) by Lunker City will work well. Colors really depend on the area. Perch and Alewife work well in my area.

suskymusky

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2004, 04:59 AM »
I had a Musky that was just as elusive.I felt like Captain Ahab going after Moby Dick!If this is a river Musky, here is a suggestion.Get the largest stone cat you can get( or a 7-8" live trout).Hook him on a 2/0 circle hook on a steel leader.Cast it out and watch for the wake from the Musky.Let the Musky set the hook.This technique helped me get a 20 lber.Put her back so you can catch her when she's even bigger.It works!
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

fishbreath

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2004, 06:23 AM »
Don't fish for it. Seems like the big one are caught by mistake like  some one fishing   for trout with a worm on the bottom. I've been there, my fish the one I was after is on the wall in a fish hatchery after they drained the lake to "fix" the d**n dam it was like 51 1/2" 45 lbs? I think. But just to have it follow is a rush in itself.  I've even used trout to catch it but they are one smart fish. Good luck.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2004, 06:26 AM »
Have you tried large plastic jerkbaits? 10" Fin-S fish (no weight) by Lunker City will work well. Colors really depend on the area. Perch and Alewife work well in my area.

No, I haven't.  I had them in my hand last week at my local Gander Mt. but they only had one color and it was bright red. ???  If I can find them in a natural color I want to give em' a try.  Guess I'll have to order online.

I had a Musky that was just as elusive.I felt like Captain Ahab going after Moby Dick!If this is a river Musky, here is a suggestion.Get the largest stone cat you can get( or a 7-8" live trout).Hook him on a 2/0 circle hook on a steel leader.Cast it out and watch for the wake from the Musky.Let the Musky set the hook.This technique helped me get a 20 lber.Put her back so you can catch her when she's even bigger.It works!

Susky, All of my musky are released.  I know live bait can be effective but I want to stay away from it.  A stationary live bait is much easier for a fish to engulf deeply than a moving artificial.  I would rather not catch the fish, than catch it and have it die.  True trophy size fish take too long to reach that size.  You can bet there will be a graphite reproduction in my future if I do land it though.  ;)

Thanks for your replies and good luck to you!!

Chucker

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2004, 05:24 AM »
If you're using cranks, you might try deadening any rattles in them, too.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2004, 08:11 AM »
If you're using cranks, you might try deadening any rattles in them, too.
Chucker, a non-rattling crank put a nice walleye and a 44" musky in the boat this morning.  It was a very nice fish, just not the one I'm after.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2004, 04:32 PM »
What sort of lures have you been trying? Maybe try a buzzbait or a big spinnerbait to piss it off. If you have already tried this, maybe try using a very large streamer.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2004, 09:50 AM »
Well, I'm onto a productive pattern catching musky on my last 2 outings.  Haven't been able to get back to where the "BIG ONE" lives as it is quite a haul from my place.  Hopefully this week, historically the week of the 4th has been very good to me as far as muskies are concerned.

TFB,

I don't fly fish for musky since it is important to land them quickly with the high water temps. we are experiencing now.  I have thrown everything including the baits you mentioned to this fish with no sucess.  I think Esox is on the right track and it is going to take a large finesse presentation to boat this fish.  Time will tell, wish me luck!!

Esox

« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2004, 07:37 PM »
JW,
I think the soft plastic would be my first choice on this fish. It will stay in the strike zone longer and the darting motion is really hard for them to resist. One other thing.....Since you may only get one shot at this fish, I suggest you put a stinger hook on the bait (provided it's not a super weedy area). You can do this with a 6" steel leader. Just put the swivel on the hook of your main leader (where the bait is hooked) and put a treble hook on the end of your stinger leader. Then stick one point of the hook into the bait.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Thanks Esox! 

I've applied that same stinger set up to other presentations before and it does work well.  This morning was a strike out for me, one follow, no takers.  Gonna hit em' again this evening.  ;D  The fish were really active yesterday, of course when I couldn't fish.  A friend of mine was out and went 1/9, the one that made it to the boat was 39 1/2".  He's still looking for a 40"er, too bad, that one almost made it.

Esox

« Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Well??? I'm waiting for a report.  ::) ;)

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2004, 05:55 PM »
Well??? I'm waiting for a report.  ::) ;)

Not the one I've been after but still a nice fish.  ;D 44" and change.  Low water levels are making it difficult to get back to where the "big one" is, hopefully this weekend.

Esox

« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2004, 08:54 PM »
Nice fish...But what lure worked that day, conditions, lake/river, etc.....Details buddy..details. ;)

Jigwiggler

« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2004, 06:21 AM »
Nice fish...But what lure worked that day, conditions, lake/river, etc.....Details buddy..details. ;)

Ok, I was pressed for time last night when I posted.  That fish was caught in the Susquehanna river (which is also my front yard  ;D ).  Conditions were post cold front, it was only about 50 F that morning and foggy as h_ll.  I was twitching an 8" wood jerkbait when I hooked this one and missed 2 others.

I fished for the "big one" last night for about an hour after work but nobody home. >:(  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.