FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084027 times)

Drifter_016

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Well... I guess I'm on stand by For the Canada trip.. I'm in for big northerns if someone bails.. You don't need to go to Canada to get Big northerns... I'll take you out and show you what I mean this May.. I hope to be fishing a secret open water spot for big northerns and bonus trout next week...I got to cast man !! got to cast !! 

You don't neeeed to come to Canada for big northerns but we got lots of them.   ;D
Here's a couple I iced on Sunday.   :whistling:

fishbear

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:25 PM »
You don't neeeed to come to Canada for big northerns but we got lots of them.   ;D

It's about -25F in Yellowknife and you don't wear a hat? :o :o :o
"My God, its full of Fish!"

esox v

« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:38 PM »

Nice drifter... If I ever hit the lottery..I'm coming up to see you!! That second ones nice !!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Oneida lake walleyes and Perch!! Ummm... Thanks Adam2000!! ;D
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

esox v

« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:10 PM »
Oneida lake walleyes and Perch!! Ummm... Thanks Adam2000!! ;D
Those taste like POOPY !! :w00t: :w00t:

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:44 PM »

OMG ...... been gone a while ice fishin Oneida lake and there still running 500cfs, what are they doing, trying to drain the redfield res for a  February thaw....... We are deep into the winter season with NO snow pack, only got 3 inches today (good water content snow) but not much, 8 inches on my yard, 10 inches maybe in the woods...my buddy said the res. is collapsed down good. Hard to tell with the ice how much, but theres no snow on the Tug Hill to speak of so far, better hope for a white or wet late winter...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:50 PM »
we headed up to the river on friday for the first time the three in our group. started fishin in the barrel hole around 11, i hook and landed a small fish. we moved down river to a spot between the school house wires and the 'wires' i think.  i ended up going 3 for 6 in the hole/run, the big fish of the day was close to thirty inches, my one buddy went two for two on 18- 20 inch fish. for the first afternoon we hit is just right, the group going 6 for 9.
on saturday we got out a little before sunrise and couldnt fish where we left the fish the afternoon before, so ended up walking down river to where there was a beaver dam above a a rapid that split around an island, not sure where we were, i hook into one fish and lost it.  we moved down river to the hole i believe which is just above ellis cove, could see the corner near the road. we didnt do anything low in the hole, few drift boats did good at the top of the hole.  We then headed back up river to our spot we caught fish, there i ende up hooking two and landing one that was a legal fish, my buddy that met us on the river landed a 22 inch brown, this guy was also the one that had his clothes hanging in trees all over the area we were fishing in trying to dry out a bit from taking a bit of a chilly plunge in the river, and my buddy that came up with me landed his first steelhead ever that was about 26 inches.
on sunday was our slowest day, we tried to get to the bridge hole first before anyone else, we didnt there was a spey fisherman there first, but he let us fish with him, one buddy caught a small fish fishing the narrow run the drift boats first float down in, and we then moved down river to the pineville area and didnt hook any steelhead, i hook about a one pound sucker and broke my brand new raven, that was a shot in the foot (gander mt recieved that from me when we got back in town and my  new one will be here in a couple weeks). we left pineville and headed back to the hole we found with fish in it, here we only managed to land only one small fish. 
monday we only fished for a few hours in the morning before heading home, we fished the hole we caught all the previous fish in, my buddy that caught his first steelhead on saturday was the only one to hook into anything, he lost both fish that looked rather large

all three of us had a blast, we were already talking about our next possible trip up  again, might see us in april for some drop back fishing

Thanks again shane we had a blast
ill get the pictures from my buddies phone and camera later

Really nice meeting you and your buds Tim...You came up at one of 2 of the hardest times to get steelhead, early winter and the snowmelt period in march.. I think you guys did well for yourselves never fishing here before, it will be all cake from here.. Make a trip in April after the "Drop"..week days if posible, you won't regret it... once again really nice meeting you guys.. Shane M.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:24 AM »
Those taste like POOPY !! :w00t: :w00t:
NOT really!! out of all the Fillet we ate all but one walleye side.. lol  ;D
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

esox v

« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:01 AM »
NOT really!! out of all the Fillet we ate all but one walleye side.. lol  ;D
:rotflol: :rotflol: First thing I do... when we pull the boat in the yard from fishing for walleye...perch or craps.. is grab the filet knife... a few beers...and turn on the FRYER !!

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:20 AM »
:rotflol: :rotflol: First thing I do... when we pull the boat in the yard from fishing for walleye...perch or craps.. is grab the filet knife... a few beers...and turn on the FRYER !!
I  hope March 26-27th Get some of them Cold water Crappies out of the boat!

dooberhoopa

• ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:48 AM »
I was up there last weekend with a few of my buddies and we had a blasty blast. We got into a ton of fish but landed prolly around 10 between the 3 of us. I wanted to stop in over at A.O.L but i know that Snagger said he was in ice fishing mode so we stayed on the river instead. It was a good time tho. Met some of the local fisherman and its hysterical to have one guy tell you one thing and be slaying fish and the next guy tell you something totally different and be catching just as many fish!
Team MIRC NYRC Chapter.....ROCK BASS ON!
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Anyone ever use in-line weights for float fishing?

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:42 PM »
They work great for deep holes!  I usually just use a bead and sliding egg sinker above my swivel.

esox v

« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:06 PM »
Anyone ever use in-line weights for float fishing?
what kind of in line weight are you talking about?

Drifter_016

« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:08 PM »
It's about -25F in Yellowknife and you don't wear a hat? :o :o :o

Yes I wear a hat, but I don't usually take the time to glove up and put on the hat when I dash from the hut to the tipups.  :whistling:
If I am fishing outside for any length of time I will put on the hat, gloves and even the coat. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.