FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My Best "Do It Yourselfer" Suggestions  (Read 3732 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
My Best "Do It Yourselfer" Suggestions
« on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Time to bring out the Tackle Tinker'er in you. What are your best ideas and solutions to store, transport use, fine tune and adapt your fishing tackle for better results?

Post a pic and show off your handiwork.

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

reelcharacter

Re: My Best "Do It Yourselfer" Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2004, 02:22 PM »
I am currently working on turning my fishing vest into my walking-talking tackle box. I am sick and tired of lugging a clunky several pound box around for the 1-2 things that I will actually use out of it each trip. Also, I intend to do this conversion on-the-cheap.

First step is to down-size my mini tackle boxes, to cut down on the boxes full of air that I am carrying around. 10 little square mini-boxes of sinkers on-sale at Wal-Mart for 90 cents each have started me out. One box will be retained for the 5-6 sizes of sinkers that came in the package. Other boxes will sort out by size the egg sac style hooks I like to use for panfish bait fishing. Other boxes will sort out other stuff. These small boxes will easily fit into the small fishing vest pockets.

Next, will be accessorizing the vest with pliers, forceps, nail clippers, a hard case to slip sunglasses into and more.

With a few seasonal or species/type of location fished changes, I expect the vest will carry on board my essential equipment for ice fishing and stream fishing as well.

Have been known on occasion to forget the worms in the hard plastic fishing tackle box, only to be greeted with a pretty nasty surprise when next it is opened. So the only down-side I see so far to the vest/tackle box is that I really HAVE to make sure I take the worm container out of this. 

Anyone have a similar system with some good advice?

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2004, 11:11 AM »
Reelcharactor - check out Cabelas delux chest vest. I got one two years ago and it is awesome. It has two big zippered pockets on the front and two huge compartments on the back, one zippered and one snap closed cargo type. Also has two drink holder pockets on the back. Plus some straps on the back for an extra sweater or jacket. It is comfortable even when loaded with gear, drinks, camera, sandwiches, etc....
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

reelcharacter

bigdave1018

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2004, 07:01 AM »
i use the tubes that spikes are sold in, or film canasters. 1 for hooks and split shots, i for a few hair jigs and or ice lures and 1 for spikes. add a few weight forward and pencil bobbers, and thats my tackle box for panfish and live bait bassing.

Chucker

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 07:32 PM »
Bensmen turned me on to a nice way to carry tackle.  Jansport makes a backpack that's all mesh material.  It'll fit a load of stuff, and the contents dry out quickly when wet.  Here's the link on their site - http://www.jansport.com/productdetail.php?tid=5&cid=15&pid=T629

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.