FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp so far  (Read 13706 times)

SunFish

Carp so far
« on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:54 PM »
a couple for ya!

hah my friend john proud of his personal best koi capture, and yes KOI and CARP are the same species just different colors

BBK

Re: Carp so far
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:13 PM »
common koi and common carp are the same.. cant generalize and say all carp are the same as all koi. The first two pics are the only common carp I see.

SunFish

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:27 PM »
Yea excluding your other carp like grass carp...etc., I meant to say COMMON carp and COMMON koi are the same species, as for the other carp those are just another variation of commons called mirror carp, bred over time for a long period to produce the fish with only a few scales making them easier to clean and eat.

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Nice pics sunfish!  Mirrors are rare where I fish and we don't have any exotics (with the exception of some koi in a power plant resevoir).  My boss had 3 fish in a tank and said they were koi but 1 was a perfect common (though 3" long).  How does the recessive gene get buried?  Is it that koi, (or mirrors or leathers) breed with commons and if both don't have that gene the fry are all commons so they lose the colors and those fry will only spawn some more koi when bred with other gene carriers?  I've been carping for about 10 years on a huge lake and still haven't seen a mirror in person. 
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Geat pictures SunFish...   Way to go... :thumbup_smilie: :clapping:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

hook-set

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:07 AM »
common koi and common carp are the same.. cant generalize and say all carp are the same as all koi. The first two pics are the only common carp I see.
those are common carp and mirror carp ..either way nice job sunfish !!!!!!

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Nice fish there Sunfish, the mirrors are pretty cool lookin' eh.  Around here we call the mirrors German Carp, not sure why it's just what the old timers like me call em'. Good job my friend and by the way I'm diggin the hair in the second to last photo :thumbup_smilie:. Looks a little like Horshack from "Welcome back Kotter", man do I feel old now.

I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

SunFish

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2011, 10:05 PM »
Nice fish there Sunfish, the mirrors are pretty cool lookin' eh.  Around here we call the mirrors German Carp, not sure why it's just what the old timers like me call em'. Good job my friend and by the way I'm diggin the hair in the second to last photo :thumbup_smilie:. Looks a little like Horshack from "Welcome back Kotter", man do I feel old now.

Yeah thats my personal best koi and personal best bad hair day!!

SunFish

« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2011, 10:11 PM »
new personal best common of 20 pounds
19 pounder that I had already lost a few days back and caught again

hammercarp

• Fish and have Fun
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Well done. Mirrors are few and far between here. Koi are almost unheard of in the wild. WTG young man.

SunFish

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Well done. Mirrors are few and far between here. Koi are almost unheard of in the wild. WTG young man.
THanks

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2011, 04:30 PM »
great lookin fish congrats.. ive been tryin to get my 8 yr old some big ones. so far 10 lbs has been the biggest. goodluck

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Do you catch and release Sunfish or do you eat those bad boys?

SunFish

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Do you catch and release Sunfish or do you eat those bad boys?
Fry them bad boys up dipped in mud, joking I catch and release all of my carp, no sense eating a fish that feeds on mud

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2011, 03:09 PM »
If ya got a smoker try smoked Carp sometime, mmmmmm good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.