FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new hunting regs  (Read 2159 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
new hunting regs
« on: Jun 19, 2011, 04:43 PM »
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/ny_proposes_changes_to_deer_hu.html

i think its a good thing lets hope politics and eletists dont blow it ;D

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
Re: new hunting regs
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Im all for antler restrictions.  A early bow season for kids. Im not a fan of. I think its great to get kids involved but on state land it killed turkey season. Can only imagine what it will do to bow season

drowndin dots

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2011, 10:46 PM »

i think it is good for the kids tho , and the parents teaching them how to hunt not to have to worry about as many people in th state forests . the antler restrictions are a good thing for sure for theose of us who hunt state land especialy , i wont shoot a spike unless its last day and i havent gotten one yet witch hasent happened yet , i perfer does as table fair anyways .... tough to beat the backstraps from a 2 year old doe  ;D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:30 AM »
atler   restrictions  never  work!  i   don't   care  about   lots   of  big  racks  in  my  area  i  want   to  fill  the  freezer   period  ....  lake  view  tried   doing  a    buck  restriction  a  few   years  back    during  bow  and  black  powder  hunting  it  resulted  in  less  hunters  !!!!  we   don't  need   to   be  cutting  our  numbers  at  all the  idea  of   special  seasons   for   youth   are a  very  positive   thing  and  that  i  support  100%
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

the eyes have it...

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Then i would start hammering does then instead of a deer with spikes, dont know where you hunt but not uncommon in our area to see 20-30 does during muzzleloader and shotgun every time out.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Then i would start hammering does then instead of a deer with spikes, dont know where you hunt but not uncommon in our area to see 20-30 does during muzzleloader and shotgun every time out.

20-30 does every time  :o  Where do you live and can I hunt there?   ;D

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:56 AM »
20-30 does every time  :o  Where do you live and can I hunt there?   ;D

wyoming county, cattaraugus county, alleghany county, broome county, putnam county, orange county, all areas with crazy buck to doe ratios where you can see 20-30 does per day.  

As for antler restrictions, I hunt deer for meat, so I'm against them.

unless they do something about doe permits along with the AR.

the eyes have it...

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2011, 09:01 AM »
wyoming county, cattaraugus county, alleghany county, broome county, putnam county, orange county, all areas with crazy buck to doe ratios where you can see 20-30 does per day.  

As for antler restrictions, I hunt deer for meat, so I'm against them.

hit the nail on the head!  wyoming county.... more cows than people = lots of fricken does

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2011, 09:05 AM »
hit the nail on the head!  wyoming county.... more cows than people = lots of fricken does

We got more hunters than deer around me. To me meat is meat and I don't care if it has antlers or not. I just want venison chili while I'm out icefishing.  ;D

adkbrookie

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2011, 09:50 AM »

in places where the ratio is that screwed up then your reaction to the restrictions is the desired one since it will help to bring down more does while leaving the bucks to even out the ratio and grow.

i hunt for meat so if i have a tag and the deer isn't dog sized then i'm gonna poke a hole in it. if people really want bucks with big racks then antler restrictions do seem to work ( ex. - PA) the big problem though is that there is a big difference between telling a deer is a buck and telling the deer has 3 on a side. so depending on your hunting style and area you may have to pass on several bucks that would actually be legal in order to stay within the law. in places like the adks where you tend to get very few chances if any (and no does in reg. season) the freezer will be much more likely to go unfilled. I was talking with a friend who guides up here and he says (i agree) that since there is so little (relative) pressure on the deer up here the chances are if you see a buck then it is close to if not very mature. the goal of antler restriction s is also to get people to shoot mature deer, so if that is already happening why change it? and some deer will never have 3 on a side...

i am all for the early seasons for kids, it's a great way to get them hooked, then they can work into hunting regular season.

early ML in the SZ sounds great. but i wish they would keep the old layout for the NZ instead of moving it back a week.

just read what they plan to do with the either sex and antlerless tags for the whole state, i feel like that is going to dtake a big hit on how many are participating in the bow an ml seasons. tags that are good in multiple units are more attractive to most (i think, not sure though). if they go to just dmps then you are locked into an area. and you may not get a permit where as currently if you buy your bow/ml you definately get a tag. kinda seems like the short end of the stick for those of us who bought lifetime bow and ml. and making the dmps "free" doesn't really cut it because if you got a lifetime before a certain date then you are already getting the dmps for free :-\

drowndin dots

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2011, 01:32 PM »

i agree that if you hunt adk exclusively then alot of the time you may only get a shot at 1 or 2 deer a year the restrictions would suck , but like some of the other posts said the southern region of the state is thick with deer and its relatively easy to shoot a doe for meat , why not let a spike grow up another year . more bucks cant be a bad thing can it?i choose my dmp by ease of acceptance and avilability of state or federal land and i can usualy fill a doe tag opening weekend of sz . trapper i hunt lakeview quite a bit and have taken a few nice deer up there early muzzy . quite a challenge after that with all the miles and miles of golden rod , witch is a good thing . its also my fav place to grouse hunt when the apples are droppin  :o :o :o i got alot of lead in theoe trees up there  ;D

1fish@atime

« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2011, 09:46 PM »
The big problem with the way NY wants to run antler restrictions is they allow what may be inferior genes to breed into the herd. This isn't Texas where they can shoot trophy mature deer and then shoot "cull" bucks.

I really wish they would work on more land agreements to allow hunters access in areas they want to reduce the herd.
That would be a step in the right direction. The Elk foundation took it on themselves in the west to remove posted signs and fences on millions of lands through a land agreement. Maybe someone could get an organization to help the state out here.

stringer01

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2011, 09:57 PM »
good posts but keep in mind this is new york and the city runs upstate and dont forget its easier to hand out kill permits to complainers than give someone permission to hunt there mountain or ranch!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.