FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stars and Stripers  (Read 2617 times)

200fisher

Stars and Stripers
« on: Jul 03, 2011, 07:22 PM »
 :flag: On Saturday, Mrs. 200fisher and I towed the boat up to Salem for what is becoming a somewhat annual Fourth of July holiday striper fishing trip. We were joined by 4 other boats, mostly guys from my sportsmen's club, including elevatorman and RE-PETE from this site. The weather and sea conditions were perfect and we spent the morning trolling tube and worm rigs around the many islands. The fish weren't as cooperative as they have been in the past, but were of better quality.

Sallie and I were easily high hooks for the day with 16 stripers, mostly 30-31" fish, a couple of 32", a 33", and a couple of runts. No huge fish, but I didn't really expect any. All were released unharmed. The other guys didn't fare so well, a couple of boats with 4 or 5, one with 1, one with none.

To clarify things, we had 16, but only 4 were mine. Mrs. 200 CRUSHED me, and really let me hear about it. It was weird. Same rods, same reels, same 15" red tubes, same homemade spinners on the leader, same amount of line out behind the boat, worms from the same box (touched only by me, God forbid she touch a worm ::)), rods placed in the rod holders. Three out of four times, BANG!, she would hook up. We traded tubes, spinners, sides of the boat, etc., same result. Cripes, I was ready to trade clothes with the self proclaimed "striper queen". Go figure ???...  But we had a great time on a beautiful day.

Here's a shot of the bi..., er, I mean, my lovely bride showing off one of the the 32" fish.

“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
  • "A larger flame-thrower, you will need."
Re: Stars and Stripers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Nice fish 200, great picture, struck me funny, my wife won't touch a fish with her hands...have to look into getting her on of those grippers  ;D                                                     Don

KeepaCatcha

« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2011, 08:06 PM »
nice fish.....what speed do u fish tube and worm?.......shallow water?.....weve tried a couple of times with tube n worm but never have much luck

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2011, 05:45 AM »
That a girl ! mike she showed all of us how it was done nice day. Way to go sally. you even beat Re-pete! :clapping: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :flag: :whistling:
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

butchy54

• Dead Trout Dont Rise
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Good Job Mrs.200 fisher Mike you should of come more south to Marblehead Swampscott and Nahant We were fishing Blitzes all day fish were stacked,Niners were the trick Sat,nothing real big but some nice fish with blues mix in,we got tired of those and went flounder fishing after that Jigger and myself and Capt Donavan had a great day.Let me know when your in the area again,I'll let you know where they are.                                                                                        Art

200fisher

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2011, 07:42 AM »
nice fish.....what speed do u fish tube and worm?.......shallow water?.....weve tried a couple of times with tube n worm but never have much luck

When you think you are going too slow, then slow down some more. I like to troll tight to structure (rocky shorelines, pilings, wharfs, etc.) Mono works fine in shallow water with unweighted tubes. Deeper water requires lead core, wire line, or weights. Never fish the tube naked, it needs to be tipped with bait for scent. Sandworms are best, but squid strips, Gulp!, fish bellies, or even nightcrawlers will work.

Art, it would be fun to hook up someday. Would love to spend some time with Donovan. Jigger, not so much...lol.
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

KeepaCatcha

« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2011, 08:27 AM »
cool thanks for the tips

FROZEN SHINER

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2011, 08:33 AM »
NICE  , good way to get the wifie out there !!!

deerhunter

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2011, 11:44 AM »
way to go mike and wife.

unoman

« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Nice work Mike....or should I say your wife... ;)

re-pete

« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2011, 12:05 PM »
That a girl ! mike she showed all of us how it was done nice day. Way to go sally. you even beat Re-pete! :clapping: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :flag: :whistling:
but you didnt! lol, gotta get out their again soon

samamster

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:40 PM »
Great story Mike! We can't all have great days all the time. You still brought in a few but WTG Mrs. 200fisher.  Rock ON!!!!! :clapping:
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.