FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappie tips  (Read 9239 times)

JDthree

Crappie tips
« on: Aug 18, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I've got a "hot" tip on from shore crappie, i have never exclusive fished for crappie....any tips??

The Prizz

• Southside Chi-towner
Re: Crappie tips
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2011, 01:11 PM »
JD, I was catching some good ones on a blueish/white glow ice jig with a twister this past weekend. It didn't matter what color tail, just had to be a twister!! I tried a couple of different tails and wouldn't get hit, put a twister on and BAM!!!! Got a couple of bonus perch along with a couple of nice gills....All thrown back. Hope this helps, we tried a couple diffferent lakes in Van Buren County and this presentation worked in both lakes!!
Keep on keeping on!!!!!!!    Prizz

TheDL

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Prizz, you bouncing those jigs along bottom or under a float?  how deep?  near structure?  I try for crappie all the time, but seems like a fluke when I find them  ???
tight lines....

The Prizz

• Southside Chi-towner
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2011, 02:13 PM »
The best presentation was casting in about 14fow around tall weed edges and letting the bait just drop and by the time it was reaching the bottom i would have a fish on. Another pres was 3' under a slip bobber drifting in about the same depth. I didn't have any live bait, and bass fishing was getting boring, so I tried for the specs and did pretty well. The twisters were about 1"-1 1/4" and I did best on white.............

TheDL

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2011, 02:25 PM »
cool, thanks for the tips...I have a nice 6 day break from work starting tommorow at 5pm, hoping to get into some walleye, bass and crappie!
tight lines....

Alphie

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2011, 06:54 AM »
The best presentation was casting in about 14fow around tall weed edges and letting the bait just drop and by the time it was reaching the bottom i would have a fish on. Another pres was 3' under a slip bobber drifting in about the same depth. I didn't have any live bait, and bass fishing was getting boring, so I tried for the specs and did pretty well. The twisters were about 1"-1 1/4" and I did best on white.............
Was this in August?  I had been catching quite a few in July with live bait (minnows), but then it seems they left where I had caught them. I have not tried a small ice jig tipped with a twister.  I just figured they went deeper or somewhere else as I wasn't having any luck finding them. I was fishing in about the same depth as you mention around tall weed edges, but was trolling real slow (almost not moving at all) with crappie minnows and catching very few. 

The Prizz

• Southside Chi-towner
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Was this in August?  

Yes, last weekend Alphie. Bass fishing was a little slow and I needed a tug so I got the ultra lite out and started plucking 'em away at 'em.......GIve it a go, maybe that's what they're lookn for!!

Alphie

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I may try it this weekend.  I'm fishing primarily in Cass County, but I'm thinking it shouldn't matter.  Maybe they're looking for something different than I've been showing them.

The Prizz

• Southside Chi-towner
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Goodluck this weekend if you give it a go!! Hopefully I will get some fishing in....Saddest weekend of the year for the Prizz clan, boats, piers, shorestaions all come out on Monday.....Say it isn't so!!!! I think I'm going to try the same presentation, but I'm going to upsize to the next twister size........Fill ya in on Tuesday........Have a great Labor Day Weekend!!!!!

GOOBERGOMEZ

« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2011, 07:48 AM »
 Gulp Alive Fish Fry on 1/16punce jig head will outfish live bait. They are amazing.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2014, 03:33 PM »
REMEMBER-their eyes are on top looking up,so fish from the top down
most times will not go down for food.[LOVES SHARP INCLINES]
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Gulp Alive Fish Fry on 1/16punce jig head will outfish live bait. They are amazing.
you are right on.note where in the water column are they,
to me bobber and tube,move ,stop,move ,stop and so on
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.