FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lure Making  (Read 4682 times)

suskymusky

Lure Making
« on: Nov 25, 2004, 05:40 AM »
I was wondering how many of you make your own spinners and jigs.I have been tying my own bucktail jigs, and I plan to start making all my own spinners, wire leaders, and spinnerbaits this year.I noticed some crankbait bodies in the catalogs, and I was wondering if they are any good, or if they are junk.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

suskymusky

Re: Lure Making
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2005, 05:20 AM »
With no ice and a little time on my hands,I've been toying around with making spinners and jigs.The choices are endless, and I've  even repaired some old spinnerbaits and jigs.The hard part for me was finishing the jig.Here is how to tie a whip finish knot to finish your jig professionally.  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6392/anim_whip.html
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Chucker

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2005, 05:33 AM »
Could always pick up a whip finishing tool from a fly shop too - then it becomes a no-brainer.

saltyshores

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2005, 02:59 PM »
Hi there, SuskyMusky, I've been making my own Mepps-style spinners for over 10 years. I buy most of my components from www.jannsnetcraft.com and it is good quality stuff. Also I am finding some good looking components at www.staminainc.com.

Also, regarding plastic lure bodies, I really like JannsNetcraft's Rattletrap style bodies that you just put on split rings and hooks, but I have used their Rapala style bodies about 6-8 years ago and didn't like the way they came thru the water at all - not at all like the real thing.

Good luck! Lurebuilding is a good way to save some $$$ and make something yourself that will catch fish.

Capt. Travis

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2006, 07:55 AM »
I do a bit of tinkering over the winter.   Mostly Jigs, trout bombs and dropper flies.   We do a lot of vertical jigging around here mid summer through the winter.    Heres a few creations.    Don’t make anything too fancy, but the fish don’t seem to mind.

Trout bombs:

Bucktails:

Dropper Flies

You know that tickle in the bottom of your stomach when the land fades to a thin black sliver and winks out of sight altogether.... Yea, I'll have some more of that.

bigdave1018

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2006, 03:53 AM »
great looking jigs capt. i make my own small jigs for tubes. i bought 24 bags of bb size sinkers [ the round ones] for 15$ which comes out to just over 60 cents per bag. thats less then a penny per sinker. i buy my jig hooks bulk at less then 3 cents per hook. take a sharp knife and open up the splitshot wider so that you can get the hook in there. then use pliers[ needlenose] and crimp the sinker onto the hook. instead of paying a dime to whatever for the jigs, i make my own for less then a nickle. its easy and saves you money to. it works for me and i sell them when i can. hope this helps and great work once again travis.

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2006, 09:22 AM »
nice lookin jigs
OR      [IMG]

slipbob

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2006, 10:29 AM »
I like to make spinner rigs like these little walleye slayers right here.  :D

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2006, 10:39 AM »
those are some fine lookin spinners
OR      [IMG]

slipbob

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2006, 10:58 AM »
those are some fine lookin spinners

Thanks funny how the walleyes like em too.  ;D

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Nice looking lures. I try my own white spiders for gills, but thats about it. You can get some decent supplies from a place called NetCrafters....I think they're based in the Toledo, OH area.....If I'm wrong on the name, I'll correct it.

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Its Jann's Netcraft in Maumee Ohio.                                           Ron
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.