FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fort Quappelle  (Read 14163 times)

SWC21

Fort Quappelle
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:22 AM »
low water levels forced me down the chain yesterday to mission. couldnt launch at pasqua or echo.  slow day dozen keeper perch, 8 lb pike no walleye. the weather was crappy and with the low water levels the fish seemed to be in deeper water than usual.

gobigorgohomenow101

Re: Fort Quappelle
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Has anyone fished off the shore on mission yet this year? How far down has the water really gone? I've heated it's crazy low.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:08 PM »
I was also wondering if anyone has been shore fishing at the hatchery on Echo, and if so, how did you do?

Is the Qu'Appelle River low as well, or is it still high and flowing strong?

WW

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:41 AM »
Depends what part of the river you mean Rory, it‘s a long one.  I just checked the watershed authority website and the graph for Echo at the hatchery shows the level 4 metres below the median as of a few days ago.  That‘s pretty low.
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:43 AM »
I was thinking the part of the Qu'Appelle River that flows through the Calling Lakes and the Fort.

I wonder why they don't just close the dam at the end of Katepwa? :-\
That should raise all the lakes to the W a bit, I would think.

How are you doing buzzbomb?
Have you been carping or regular fishing yet?

WW

buzzbomb

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:32 AM »
The graph for Katepwa shows. (As of about 5 days ago), level well below the high water mark but still just above the median. If the dam‘s still open there should be some water in the river.   Where‘s Big Burk?, he should know.  I‘m still on the surgery waitlist for re-fixing my leg but I‘ve had 2 half days shakedown but no bites.  The hard to get to swims are out for a while but at least I can get to some places that were drowned last year.  The wind is supposed to go down this afternoon so I may give it a shot.
Modified post: No fishing this afternoon due to inclement weather, (beer clouds), cheers! :D

Big Burk

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:03 AM »
I'm here but its been a brutal start to the fishing season, was in an accident and shattered my knee cap april 15 so haven't been very mobile and been working on boat as much as I can. I haven't made it out yet even shore fishing. Will get a water level report today or tomorrow and will be on the lake this weekend if plans change and I don't end up going to the north end of LML. Once the boats ready to go I have the next few months of recovery so hopefully the fishing is as good as it was last year.

gobigorgohomenow101

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Planning to head out to Lebret to fish off the shore tomorrow, I hope the herrings good!

SWC21

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 06:49 PM »
on the saskatchewan watershed website there is a warning that was issued last friday http://www.swa.ca/WhatsNew/Advisories.asp?id=154
im wondering how high the water has come since this was posted. it says they were to be fully opening the craven control structure to allow water to flow through the system. any body been out to see the water levels recently? any info would be helpfull!

buzzbomb

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 07:38 PM »
Last time I looked at the dam a week ago the water was still about 2‘ low but was moving fairly fast heading east; it didn‘t come up as much as the river at Big Valley and Valeport.  That dam and the Valeport flood control gate have been wide open all winter, (there was an advisory last fall), so I don‘t understand the warning.  I‘m going to have another look at the graph.  
Okay, the water‘s risen way over the normal high water mark downstream from the dam and all that valley bottom is still saturated from the past 2 years of flooding so that advisory is primarily for the landowners who‘ll have a long shallow lake on their hayfields and pastures again.  It could well mean no fishing at the weir by the old #6 highway as well, but since the main flow is heading for the fishing lakes and they‘re dry it isn‘t all bad.  We‘re forecast to have a hot dry summer and I‘ll be happy to see the water come up a little now so it can last a while.

buzzbomb

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:38 PM »
On Sunday I went from Craven to # 6 and the water‘s definately coming up E of the dam. The first bridge W of # 6 is washed out as is the next one W (from last year) and the river looks on average 2‘ below the bank though there are already large parts of bottom land covered.  You have to be seeing the fishing lakes come up soon.

Big Burk

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00 AM »
Echo is still low but has been slowly coming up. Haven't made it to pasqua yet

Big Burk

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Well me and my one buddy made it out to the lake this morning and after a night of wind and rain we were blessed with a nice calm hour at sunrise then the wind and rain came back. Didn't get much fishing done due to first time taking friends boat out and ran into some carb problems on the ol 70hp johnson and were only able to go about 1/4 throttle back from pasqua to the launch at the fort. If you don't have rollers on your trailer you will have to back up a fair ways at that launch its still low but slowly rising. The river channel connecting pasqua and echo I'd only recommend travelling if you have power tilt on your motor unless you know exactly where to drive. Am heading back out once the weather lightens up this week as the rough water took a beating on my broken knee. Any body else been out lately?

Big Burk

« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Hit pasqua up tonight and bite was slow then it started to rain for a while and the walleyes started hitting good. Rain and wind went away and so did the fish. Last hour spent on lake didn't catch anything. 7-9pm was our most productive time today.  Possibly going out again tomorrow and will be out saturday too. Anybody else been out lately?

Big Burk

« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2012, 08:57 PM »
Today was a good day but lost count of how many pike and walleye we caught after two hours of steady action. Nothing of any size but the amount of small fish caught made up for the biggest fish of the day being a 3lb walleye. Gonna head out to a few spots I haven't fished this year yet in the next day or two.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.