FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best baitcasting reel/rod combo  (Read 8556 times)

grumpymoe

best baitcasting reel/rod combo
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:49 PM »
i am going to finally get a quality baitcaster, and dump the spinning gear for shorefishing and channel cats. what do you think is the best combo under $300.00  ??? ???

Cider

Re: best baitcasting reel/rod combo
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 04:01 PM »
I use a Berkley Lightning in a medium heavy action and 5' 6" long.  For baitcaster I use the Shimano Cruzar  CRZ 100.  I have an older Shimano Bantam that I liked for many years, but couldn't remove the spool from the reel.  That is essential if you need to deal with a backlash or want to switch lines to match the fishing.

I have always used Berkley Trilene mono on my baitcasters but with some of the posts I am reading and past problems with line memory leading to backlashes, I have decided to try Berkley Fireline this season.  Just put 14 lb test on it the other day.

You could get a set-up like this for around $150 US.

bow-n-arrow-man

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2004, 11:24 AM »
i am going to finally get a quality baitcaster, and dump the spinning gear for shorefishing and channel cats. what do you think is the best combo under $300.00  ??? ???
i dont think the best will be under 300.00 but u can get a decent combo under 300.00!!

Sluggo

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2004, 05:49 PM »
Personally my favorite combo I my Shimano Curado (201B) reel on a Shimano Compre 6'10" mediun heavy extra fast taper rod.  The combo is worth about $300 Canadian. 

I will be trying a more cost efficient setup next.  I will be ordering a Bass Pro Shop Extreme combo.  It consists of a BPS Extreme reel and rod of your choice.  There are 32 different Extreme combo's to choose from so there are certainly alot of options to suit whoever.  Oh yeah, the BPS Extreme combo is worth $99.98 US!!!!! ($130 CAD)

I love my Shimano setup but I have heard great things about the BPS Extreme line up.
GET IT ON!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.