FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jigging for Lakers, Is this hook to big??  (Read 11212 times)

H82LUZ

• Wishin I was fishin!
Jigging for Lakers, Is this hook to big??
« on: Apr 11, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Hi guys and gals,
I'm gona try jigging for lakers for the first time this year and I've been doing a lot of reading to say the least. I've got my rods setup, and pick up a bunch of spoons and jigging hardware. Krocidile's and Daredevils. Now, my question is, I'm not a strainger to trout fishing. Ive used #4 down to #8 hooks for them, but the hooks on these things are big enough to tow my one ton Dodge HELLO! (See pic) I know these lakers can get big and narly to fight and all, but the hook is huge! Do you guys change these out for smaller ones? And if so how small do you go? I probably wouldn't go down too small but just wanted to see what the jigging guys were doing. Thanks for any input. We're still a few weeks away from ice out up here in NH. So to change over hooks I have time. Thanks guys and gals.

Pat

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

bailey63

Re: Jigging for Lakers, Is this hook to big??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Almost every spoon i use is armed with hooks that are at least half inch gap. Guess it depends on how big of trout your after. But i get everything from small jacks to 30 plunders on them. imho go fishing they'll work.
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

er-e-is

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2013, 08:11 PM »
No, they are not too big.

ejp419

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2013, 06:11 PM »
I put bigger hooks on some of my smaller spoons this past winter when jigging for Lakers. I like big hooks for them. I always put half a shiner on them too. That hook is fine...

H82LUZ

• Wishin I was fishin!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2013, 06:58 PM »
I put bigger hooks on some of my smaller spoons this past winter when jigging for Lakers. I like big hooks for them. I always put half a shiner on them too. That hook is fine...

Ok, thanks. I'll have to try the half a shiner trick too. Thanks. I got some Swedish Pimples too so as too have an ample selection while on the water. You can never have too much.......can you?! LOL! Yeah right!

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

BIGJim223

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I run Number 2 hooks on most of my laker jigs, usually Mustad KVD Extra Wide Gap hooks. I also use Gamakatsu Wide Gap Trebles when I see them on sale at a good price. If the trout are chasing the big 1oz spoons but not hitting them, I usually downsize to a smaller jig/spoon with no smaller than a number 4 hook and that "finesses" them into hitting more often than not.
Good luck!

BIGJim223

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Ok, thanks. I'll have to try the half a shiner trick too. Thanks. I got some Swedish Pimples too so as too have an ample selection while on the water. You can never have too much.......can you?! LOL! Yeah right!

Pat

Pat,

Get yourself some 3/4 to 1 oz. (1 oz. is best if you're fishing really deep, 100' or better) white or glow jig heads and some 4-5" white plastic shad or minnow type baits to attach to your jigs... YOU'LL HAMMER EM'!!  ;D

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Pat,

Get yourself some 3/4 to 1 oz. (1 oz. is best if you're fishing really deep, 100' or better) white or glow jig heads and some 4-5" white plastic shad or minnow type baits to attach to your jigs... YOU'LL HAMMER EM'!!  ;D

WK

shhhhhhh!   some of us have quit the spoon habit for good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.