FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canoe Lake  (Read 2328 times)

wirehairman

Canoe Lake
« on: Jun 03, 2013, 02:12 PM »
A group of us from Montana are heading to Canoe Lake next Saturday and will be fishing Sunday through Wednesday.  My cousin set the trip up, and I've never been up there.  The plan is to mostly target pike, but one of our buddies and I wouldn't mind getting into the walleye as well.

Any tips and/or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  -- Benjamin Franklin

anglerbrian

Re: Canoe Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2013, 10:47 AM »
I am surprised no one has offered to help you out. It has been over ten years since I fished this lake but I will try.
If the fishing is even half as good as it used to be you will have no trouble finding pike walleye and even perch.
We found lots of fish between the boat launch and the opening into the main lake. This time of year you will find pike in 5 to 15 feet of water  near weedlines.
Try trolling or casting husky jerks or len thompson spoons in these areas. Other crankbaits spoons or jigs will be effective as well.
  If you catch a Walleye mark the spot and try jig and minnow or leeches, or keep using what you caught em on.
Another spot to try is around Cole Island on the southwest side of the lake.
        Good Luck I hope you find some good fishing.

wirehairman

Re: Canoe Lake
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I am surprised no one has offered to help you out. It has been over ten years since I fished this lake but I will try.
If the fishing is even half as good as it used to be you will have no trouble finding pike walleye and even perch.
We found lots of fish between the boat launch and the opening into the main lake. This time of year you will find pike in 5 to 15 feet of water  near weedlines.
Try trolling or casting husky jerks or len thompson spoons in these areas. Other crankbaits spoons or jigs will be effective as well.
  If you catch a Walleye mark the spot and try jig and minnow or leeches, or keep using what you caught em on.
Another spot to try is around Cole Island on the southwest side of the lake.
        Good Luck I hope you find some good fishing.

Thanks for the tips.  They were spot on for the pike.

Despite rain and wind the first two days, our group caught a ton of pike but no monsters.  We only caught one walleye, and the locals told us the walleye had pretty much been wiped out by commercial fishing.  Regardless, we had a great time and want to turn this into an annual trip.  The owners of the Canoe Lake West Resort are some quality people, so we will likely continue to base out of there but hope to explore some of the surrounding lakes in the future.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  -- Benjamin Franklin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.