« on: Jun 10, 2013, 08:59 PM »
 :D

TEAM LIGHTNING

Re: Wyoming Arrowheads?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2013, 12:54 AM »
Archaeologists Say Artifact Looting A Problem In Wyoming
Archaeologists: artifact looting a problem in Wyoming
By The Associated Press

CHEYENNE - Trafficking in illegal antiquities ranks alongside gun and drug trafficking in terms of profitability, and archaeologists say Wyoming's wealth of American Indian and frontier-era artifacts can make the state an antiquities gold mine.

"The thing about illegal activity on archaeological sites is so many of them are in remote, rural locations, it's hard to quantify what goes on out there because you're not out there a lot," said State Archaeologist Mark Miller.

Julie Francis, an archaeologist at the Wyoming Department of Transportation, said collectors provide a market for illegal antiquities and the Internet has worsened the problem.

In Wyoming, the problem includes surface collecting, theft or defacement of rock carvings, and even trade in human remains. Francis said two of her own sites in highway rights of way were looted at night.

Bottles and other artifacts of frontier life are also popular targets, she said.

At Fort Laramie National Historic Site, excavations by assistant state archaeologist Danny Walker in 2003 revealed a large looter hole in the site's historical trash dumps.

Walker said the culprit was likely looking for old bottles and had left behind a plastic-handled garden trowel. The trowel had little rust, leading Walker to suspect that the looting occurred within the previous 10 years.

In 2002, someone dug up World War I-era graves in Gebo, a town occupied from the 1890s to 1970s. Mike Bies, the archaeologist for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management's Worland Field Office, was worried someone might have been trying to get the skulls, although no bones were removed. Others have suggested that the grave robbers were looking for jewelry or possibly coins placed over the corpses' eyes.

Whatever the case, it was illegal. Collecting on public land is always illegal without a permit. And so is collecting on private land without permission from the landowner.

But collecting isn't entirely off-limits to amateurs. Archaeologists say that recreational collectors have helped the profession enormously.

"Many professional archaeologists got their start collecting arrowheads as kids," Francis said. "And there have been many, many positive relationships between professional archaeologists and avocational groups."

Reports from recreational groups to archaeologists, he said, have led to the discovery of many important sites. "Some people consider them the eyes and ears of the profession because they're out in the field more often than professionals," Miller said.

Professional looters, on the other hand, care only about one thing: profit. They know where the sites are; often they are well educated and may even have taken archaeology classes or volunteered on excavations, Francis said.

They also frequently have histories of alcohol or drug abuse and have been known to collect artifacts to fund their habits. Bies urged anyone who sees suspicious activity on public land not to approach suspected looters.

"In the Southwest, where they've caught looters, they're almost always found in possession of illegal firearms and drugs," Bies said. "So there's a very good chance that these are not the kind of people you want to talk to out in the country."

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...42-looting.txt

Hole Tender

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2013, 07:39 AM »
Haha I think there is a huge difference in picking up arrowheads off the ground and digging up graves. Wow

TEAM LIGHTNING

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Agreed but as is quoted in the article " In Wyoming, the problem includes surface collecting, "   its still a problem.... its like taking evidence from a crime scene.

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2013, 12:26 PM »
So it's a crime to take something you find interesting off of public land in the state of Wyoming??? I find that hard to believe. If it's a designated area the state has deemed historical then sure don't take anything out of there. But if you're walking along and find an arrowhead I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Nobody else has found it and what are the chances anyone else will.

Back to the original post, I am one that has never found a SINGLE arrowhead. Only thing I've ever found is old fire rings and stuff like that. Good luck to you.
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

muskyon46

• Just passin on a family tradition
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2013, 02:13 PM »
This is not where your looking GCS but me and my mom have both found a knife and my ex brother inlaw found an arrow head on the river that flows along my moms property in idaho. This place was very popular for the tribes in the area when they would soak in the hot springs. By far the coolest thing i have ever found while fishing. I agree with you trent if its public land pick it up, if its protected then leave it maybe take some pics

Hole Tender

« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2013, 02:38 PM »
I don't see how surface collecting is a problem. The people who made the arrowheads aren't going to return to where they left them so they can use them again. They were put there by people for other people to find centuries later to learn about them. Who is to say I shouldn't pick one up and research it and learn for myself.

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2013, 03:17 PM »

wyofarmer

• MFF Mod Team
  • Rest in peace LT
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2013, 05:29 PM »
Agreed but as is quoted in the article " In Wyoming, the problem includes surface collecting, "   its still a problem.... its like taking evidence from a crime scene.
Taking evidence from a crime scene is not even close to picking up an arrow head. If I find one out in the middle of nowhere you can bet I'm going to pick it up.

Keith Walters

« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Was not my intent to start a debate on this issue...

I cannot say whether I would keep them or not you can assume either way, I just want to find some... have never found one before.  

Since I'm always fishing at Grayrocks and Glendo I figured I'd try looking around there see if I find anything.... was curious if anyone else had done the same thing?  Did a little arrowhead "hunting" while up there on a fishing trip....and found some?

Thanks guys.

Keep your eyes open for some Wyoming Jade while you are at Glendo.  Quite a bit of it there, just have to train yourself to see "see" it.

Good Fishing (arrowhead hunting),

Keith

Chadfish

• Rippin lips!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2013, 08:59 PM »
I used to dock the boat at a spot at Glendo and hike a mile or so to a spot wher there was a grave site covered in agate. Around that grave we found severeal arrowheads. We kept a couple but left most laying after taking a pic. That was 16 years ago when we found it, and now the grave is barely recognizable, most of the agate gone.

You decide.  Chadfish

jopes

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Section 15.
Preservation of Public Property.
(a) The destruction, injury, defacement, removal or disturbance in any manner of
any building, sign, equipment, monument, statue, marker or other structure, or of any
animal or plant matter and direct or indirect products thereof, including but not limited to
petrified wood, flower, cane, or fruit, egg, nest, or nesting site, or of any soil, rock or
mineral formation, artifact, relic, historic or prehistoric feature, or of any other public
property of any kind on park lands is prohibited without prior permission of the
superintendent.
(b) The gathering or possession for personal consumption or use of only such
fruits and berries as the superintendent may designate is permitted. All such fruits and
berries shall be picked only by hand. The gathering or collecting of such objects for the
purpose of sale is prohibited.
(c) The use of any mineral or metal detecting device at a state historic or
archeological site is prohibited, except for official use. The use of any mineral or metal
detecting device at a state park or recreati
on area is prohibited without written permission
of the superintendent.
(d) The destroying, digging, cutting, removing, or possession of any tree, shrub
or plant is prohibited. The collection and possession of dead wood found on the ground
for use as fuel in campgrounds or picnic areas is permitted except as posted by
appropriate signs.
Effective 06/03/2008
1 - 12
(e) Dead timber which has been identified by department personnel for removal
from park land may be cut and removed from the area by the public for personal
consumption at home with the written permission of the superintendent. The removal for
the purpose of sale is prohibited.
(f) Entering, climbing upon, or tampering with state owned motor vehicles and
motorized or power equipment is prohibited.

http://soswy.state.wy.us/Rules/RULES/6990.pdf

does that stop people?  probably not.  :(

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2013, 11:46 PM »

TEAM LIGHTNING

« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2013, 07:12 AM »
thus the problem.....most people don't give a crap..... John Wayne continues to roll over and over in his grave.

Hole Tender

« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2013, 10:51 AM »
I found this old copper spoon in the oil field today.

I don't know how old it is but it is a neat find anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.