FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Can anyone explain to me why I can never seem to operate a closed face reel?!  (Read 7011 times)

TheStray

Why is it that the first 15 casts seem to be smooth as silk and then sometime after that the line seems to come to a dead stop and my bait goes one way while my hook and bobber come flying back at me?  It's so frustrating.  I usually only use open faced but I figure I would give a closed face a try after many years of vowing never to use one again.  I'm beginning to wonder why I even bothered.  Can someone explain to me why this is?  It doesn't matter what type of reel because it does it to me no matter what one it is.  I think I have the touch of death.  I'll be using my buddies reel, normally because they felt sorry for me or were just tired of hearing all the profanity, whatever the case, but by the time I'm done with their reel it's so messed up they can't even use it either.  Please help, save my sanity, and another reel from a watery grave.
"I don't know what it is about it...  ...I guess it's because the feel of the line tightening just never gets old".

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
all the closed face i reels ive ever had have been junk i like spinning reels alot more anyway
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Hood

Stray- theres prolly a loop or somethin inside the reel, if the line gets under itself it will stop dead on u, closed face reels suck anyway, they are great for kids and learning but your better off with a spinning reel or bait caster.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

TheStray

Thanks.  My assumption was correct.  I should have never bothered with a closed face reel.
"I don't know what it is about it...  ...I guess it's because the feel of the line tightening just never gets old".

wormwigglr

closed face reels are crap! most kids i see now are using spinning reels at a young age and i know why. never used a closed face when i was a kid but my buddies did and man did they have problems with bird's nests. my old man never let me use anything but spinning reels and baitcasters when i got a little older.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Stray
 The problem with closed fased spinning reels always seems to be that the line gets caught under the bail and spool. This comes from when after you make a cast and close the bail the line has a loose spot, much the same as if you are useing a open face and you get the loop of line in the spool after makeing a cast and start reeling with no line tension. If you pinch the line between your finger and thumb before cranking it will help a lot. Also over filling the spool with line will give you nothing but headaches. Another real problem with them is if you try to use a lighter line than the reel recomends. If the reel recomends 6lb to 10 lb line go with 8lb. a real good soft limber line will lay on the spool better and help with keeping out the bird nests. Fill the spool no more than 1/4inch of the spool rim and it will stay put much the same as a open face spinning reel. These style reels require a little more maintnance than a open face such as cleaning under the cover Keep it real clean and Do Not reel against the drag, this only adds line twists and it will add to the headaches. I still use a UL closed face reel and have many of them athough I do prefer open face they are great for young kids or beginners but it is up to you to maintain them so they can enjoy their day on the water. Even a 300.00 open face is a peice of junk if you do not take care of it and try to get away with old line with a ton of memeory in it. Just my .02
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

trapperdirk

Well I have always used top of the line open face and bait casting reels but this winter went and bought a Zebco Rhino RSC3 closed faced reel for a beginner . I was so impressed with its attributes for the bucks I went back and bought another and even another only it's the smaller RSC2 . . This reel is built solid  and with 4 ball bearings the drag is smooth . The casts are long even with 12 pound test and its bait runner feature with clicker has worked flawlessly too and these reels will likely become my new alternates while icefishing because the big handles allow those who have to wear gloves ease of handling and the large free spool bail button and adjusting the drag is done  also with ease while wearing gloves or mitts . ;)

TD
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

devil-man

I have bought three closed-face combos in the last year.
For my nieces!!!

Mikepike

There are some quality spincasters out there. But you have to stay away from those  $2.00 Zebco BS. Alot of times when i am in tight spots trying to accurately cast, i wish i had one on me. All you hafta do is press the button, aim and release! ;)

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

wormwigglr

trapperdirk

GARBAGE!

What kind of response is that wormwigglr ? ??? We want to know why you think that at least, or your experiences with them but to just say GARBAGE makes me think thats all your opinion is worth in this thread . >:( There was a legit question asked so either try and answer it with the same respect it was asked in if you can, or take a hike to another thread . >:( By your own admission in your previous post you haven't even used one so what can you know . ???

As I said I either own or have used some of the finest reels out there in open face and bait casting versions and this zebco rc2 and rc3 impressed me . I do think though you have to search the good ones out and I believe there is even at least one touring pro bass tournament guy that uses them but at the moment his name evades me . :-\ Don't buy the cheapest as has been mentioned before and CF made some good points in type of line to use , not to spool to much line on, and to hold line in between fingers on retrieve . ;)

TD

TD

wormwigglr

i had a buddy who use to use them because he was never taught any better and he had nothing but problems. he had everyone you could think of and after trying a open face reel they hit the GARBAGE or gave them to his nieces. i think they are great for kids learning to cast but they are not made for the wear and tear of heavy duty fish and fishing. they may work for the weekend angler but i fish 5 to 6 days a week and they are not made for the fish i fish for. if you want some gills or perch go ahead and use them but you won't ever see me with one or even a thought about buying one. they are mainly geared for use by kids and weekend anglers, not a serious fisherman. i would like to know who uses an closed reel on the tour ??? he is definately not a well known angler if his name so easily evades you.  ;D

trapperdirk

Now were getting somewhere and it will come to me who because it is a big name and surprised me actually when I heard that and even had it proven to me . I fish lots too, and not small fish and did see the lady I got this reel for pull up a dandy laker and the reel performed as it should . I know the clunkers you speak of wormwigglr but next time your somewhere look at the one I mentioned and it definately is not junk . Frigging thing is heavy though and has two pickups on it and 4 ball bearings . I was surprised at how well it performed and was put together . Far as longevity, well my best baitcasters and open face reels need rebuilding every year and I do look after them like gold .

TD

TD

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
i would like to know who uses an closed reel on the tour ??? he is definitely not a well known angler if his name so easily evades you.  ;D

david fritts and woo daves have both admitted to using them for crankbaiting and spinnerbaiting.

and who cares about those guys on tour...guides fish way more than they do, and rarely get sponsored by a tackle manufacturer, ask them what tackle to use

Mikepike

Back in the 70's-80's spincasters where fairly popular and they made a few good quality ones. My dad Had saved a few from that time, and he has a abu-garcia closed faced reel, it never failed him since. Although i am more of a fan of spining reels, he still sticks to his abu garcia. the johnson country mile series where fairly good reels if you maintained and greased the gears. A few solid diawa reels he had too.  I guess they made them better back then  :-\ ;D

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.