FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chicken Liver for Heads  (Read 10858 times)

jml51slu

Chicken Liver for Heads
« on: Apr 21, 2005, 09:48 AM »
hey fellas, I need some advice.  Bullhead fishing is one of my favorites, but I have always fished with crawlers.  I have a pretty good hookup for chicken livers and I wanna give em a try, but I have never used em.  Any tips for rigging or fishing with them in general.

ELMER ROSS

Re: Chicken Liver for Heads
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Either use netting that you tie trout eggs with,or get a aberdeen hook and weave it on.Good luck ..

fishryc

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2005, 09:56 AM »
If you want to try an alternative bait, consider smelt heads. I've always had very good luck; plus if you hook them from one eye through the other, they will never come off.
Good luck-
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

bigdave1018

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2005, 12:52 PM »
ive been using cut golden shiners and doing well. i use a small hook under a bobber and spikes. 5 decent size ones will last for quite awhile. i let them stink in the sun and cut them into small inch chunks. i use a size 2 or 4 on a dropshot rig for bulls.

bottomfeeder

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2005, 07:54 PM »
When i was in Kansas we tried chicken livers for cats but it came off the hook to easy,so we talked to an older guy and he told us to use pig liver that it stayed on the hook better and it did,and it was better bait if you let it get rotten.We went to Raquette Lake ice fishing this winter and i caught two big fat bullheads on smelt,both out of the same hole.

venisonman

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2005, 04:10 PM »
Try using a small treble hook and a snap swivel.
Push the eye of the treble thru the piece of liver, embed the three hooks.
Then attach to the snap swivel.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2005, 02:30 AM »
I catch tons of bullheads while fishing for Channel Cats with liver on the Colorado River.
The trick to liver is to keep it cold and on ice. That was it doesn't get too soft and mushy. You need to use a soft lobbing type cast though. Use a #2 gamakatsu treble hook with liver. This should get you into plenty of bullheads. However crawlers work just as good for bullheads and at times just as good for channels.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2005, 10:58 PM »
I got this fat bullhead on chicken liver today.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

capt hookem

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2005, 11:49 PM »
Take an old pair of your girls stocking and cut into small sqares and tie the liver as you would egg sacks .. works great   brown leaches also excellent

Reelmaster

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 12:46 PM »
HAs anyone used perch heads before. They work awesome around here.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

amazinmoose

« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2005, 10:37 PM »
Reelmaster  how big of a hournpout do you catch on perch heads?  how about chunk perch? or just heads?...  moose

mrwalleye

« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2005, 03:10 AM »
hey fellas, I need some advice.  Bullhead fishing is one of my favorites, but I have always fished with crawlers.  I have a pretty good hookup for chicken livers and I wanna give em a try, but I have never used em.  Any tips for rigging or fishing with them in general.
i hear bullheads are good to eat through the ice.  how about year-round?  i catch them all the time icefishing, i always throw them back.  they seem to be attracted to my vexilar transducer, on one lake in particular.  ive had them come right up the hole, and look at me. 

seaweed01

« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2005, 08:35 PM »
They are good to eat anytime, especially thru the ice. What bait do
you use to catch so many thru the ice?

bigdave1018

« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2005, 05:31 AM »
heads in ny that ive caught during the summer months were always slimy and had sores on them. real real nasty looking so i release them.

Reelmaster

« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2005, 12:21 PM »
Reelmaster  how big of a hournpout do you catch on perch heads?  how about chunk perch? or just heads?...  moose

I have caugt bullheads up to 15.5 Inches using perch heads. Night crawlers are what I use as my universal bait of choice but right around this time If you fish them with big baits you get some hog bullheads.

[/img]
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.