FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Gaston  (Read 4327 times)

LoneStar

Lake Gaston
« on: Apr 29, 2005, 11:55 PM »
Anyone fish this lake???? 

Will be taking a vacation on Lake Gaston for a couple of days the 2nd week of May, if anyone would be willing to pass along info on their favorite hot baits for me to try it would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Don't matter how good you are, you won't get'em all!  Don't matter how bad you are, you'll still get some!

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
Re: Lake Gaston
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 03:25 PM »
LS,

I have a Lake Trailer on Gaston, but unfortanately no boat  :(   I do catch fish everyweekend with my daugter,  by sitting down on the dock and  tossing a yellow/white tube jig.  Mainly Bluegill, Crappie, Yellow & white Perch, and small Catfish.  If you have a boat, it should open up your options, here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.lgado.com/fishmarch.html

Are you fishing anything in particular?

Lindz
   &  Bass

LoneStar

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 05:15 AM »
Thanks for the info Lindz, great link you guided me to. 
I didn't know they had tournaments there, fishin for anything I can ketch.
I will have access to my sisters pontoon boat while there, how much I don't know but hopefully brother and I will be allowed out on our own.
If not then I'll be like you and do  a lot of dock fishin, she has one of those lakefront properties and a couple cabins on it.

John
Don't matter how good you are, you won't get'em all!  Don't matter how bad you are, you'll still get some!

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 07:46 AM »
John,

Everytime I have been up this year there has been about 50-100 boats going out of our campground tournement fishing (Were in Americamps on the North side of the lake).  There are pro/semipro toruneys, and just a ton of bass clubs from VA/NC the pound the lake every  weekend.

If your dock fishing, and want action, I would try some live minnows on the bottom as well as some type of bait for Cats (cut shad, chicken liver etc, even a live bluegill on a med.heavy rod lashed down).  So far I have only been able to fish each time for about 40min clips morning and night, so I have not yet begun to fish for Cats in this fasion, but I will next outing.  There are nice Cats in Gaston and you'll catch a variety of other fish doing this(live min thing).

If you get out in the pontoon,  chances are you wound not travel too far, so I'd think about drifting the nearest cove/cove mouth with tube jigs/minnows slow for crappies, keeping your presentation very near bottom, and also mabye try the same with some of the cat bait too (dragging on the bottom).

Anyway you should have great wheather for you outing,

enjoy,

Lindz
   &  Bass

LoneStar

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 07:39 AM »
Lindz,
We did the trip to Gaston!  Fabulous, were on the east side within sight of Eaton Ferry Bridge, water temp 61 - 64, spent several hours on friday to the west fishing the coves with the pontoon boat.  Really didn't do a whole lot of catchin, nothin large enough to brag about but I sure had a good time.

Saturday there was a tournament right there, our cove was visited by at least 15 of those boats, we did go over for the tournament weigh-in at 3, largest Bass was 5.28 lbs, so we did get to see that there are some larger bass in there than what we were catchin, some of the boats had the max of 5 fish.

The temp dropped and windy so I spent time on the dock but did take a canoe trip back through the cove.
Learned to twitch a night crawler on the bottom and got tired of catching catfish, perch and small bass real quick, did some night fishin from the dock too.
Fished enough that my right arm is a little sore and face got sunburned  or windburned, that is some lake,  we had a great time regardless of the fish!

John

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 12:41 PM »
LS,

Glad to here you enjoyed the VACA, Gaston is a nice lake, only wish I had a boat  :P  I plan on being at the Trailer quite a bit after 1st of June, so hopefuly, I will get into something nice off the dock once in a while.

Take it easy,

Lindz
   &  Bass

Raaven

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2006, 07:31 PM »
My best friend Hillbilly has a camp on Gaston. He just got back Tues. from striper fishing there. He caught two. one was 27 in. He invited me down next month to get some calicos and sunnies. I just might have to go. Thanks for the reports, much appreciated.good luck.
" If you don't know what I mean, Won't you stand up and scream, Because there is things going on you don't know!" Ronnie Van Zant

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.