FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: baitcaster line  (Read 5202 times)

grumpymoe

baitcaster line
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:01 AM »
allright everyone. now that i've got my new baitcaster, (shimano) what do you think is the best line to use on it?? grump

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: baitcaster line
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:12 AM »
Well  a hint what your fishing for would be helpful. And what size reel.  ;D ;D
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 11:11 AM »
I think that is a question that could be debated for all eternity.  I have always used mono (Trilene), but hate dealing with backlashes because of line memory.  I just put some fireline on my shimano and can't wait to try it to see if the line memory issues are taken care of.

Don't keep us in suspense  :o Grump, what did you end up getting for a rod and reel?   ???

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 11:19 AM »
I like Berlely Big Game and Fireline equally but for different applications.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:36 PM »
hey!! sorry i didn't post what exactly models i bought. the reel is the crestfire (updated this year) and a scimitar rod for walleye and smallies. it looks and feels sooo much better than last years model. for what i intend on using it for, i believe its worth the money. granted not anywhere close to a corsair, chronarch, ambassador, but looks like it will be great. what's your thought on stren magna thin??? grump

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:27 PM »
Somewhere around 10-16 lbs. test mono or super line. For jig fishing the sensitivity of one of the super lines could be a advantage. Was always a Trilene man myself. Stren magana thin??? 
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:47 PM »
I always thought Stren had too much stretch.  It may have its applications though.  I haven't tried it yet but Berkely Sensation is supposed to be great on a bait caster.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

trapperdirk

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:08 PM »
 Stick to 12 lbs plus Grumpy . I use 12 Trilene XL but have used stren and many others too .
  I have a few rigged with spiderwire too but have to get the guts replaced at times . :-\
  I use shimano explicitly but like the abu 's too .
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:24 PM »
geeeeez trapper!!!! 12lbs plus?? the most i ever use is 8lbs and i like to give the fish a chance. getting a little testy  ;D ;D as i get older. da_n fireline!!! anymore thoughts??? just want to avoid them birdsnests. grump  p.s. for anyone looking to go on the low end for baitcasters, i really think this crestfire is a huge steal.

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:00 AM »
 Will enjoy hearing your squeels about birdsnests Grumpy on a baitcaster using 8lb test . LMAO . ;D . They work better with the heavier line . If you wanna go with lighter line stick to your spinning reels .
  I use both spinning and baitcasters but have learned a few things about what to us is known as professional over runs . ;D . Unless of course you only want to use your baitcaster as a trolling or float reel . ;D
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:54 AM »
Grump
Heres what I have experianced. If you use superbraids and have a habbit of useing your finger to feel the line like me carry a lot of bandaids with you you will need them. The superbraids have a habbit of burying themself in the spool and filleting fingers because of no stretch. Mono you might get birdnests if you try to overcast the lures or cast into the wind. Untill you get used to the reel. If you are going to troll Walleye. or even catch Catfish I use 12lb Trilene XT or Trilene BigGame. It has a bigger dia. but works quite well on baitcasters. And trust me when I say you will still lose fish on hooksets. The best thing I found when I started to use baitcasters is to take it in the yard and practice practice practice. Set up a obsticle course and put up targets to thow the lure at. Start out with heavy weight say 3/4 oz or more just to get used to the way it feels and make short casts about 25ft. then move to lighter weights. Makeing adjustments to spoolspeed. They are easy to cast and handle when you get used to them. As you lighten up on weight and can cast without backlash go for longer targets. Also till you get used to casting buy a couple spools of line incase you do, or when you get a backlash and have to cut half of it off you still can put on line and keep practicing. Do not get discouraged with it. Everyday you pick up the rod you will feel more comfortable with it and in no time will cast it like a pro. Also the superbraids are not backlash friendy they will kink and frey make the line weak at that point. The advantage of superbraids is they are real senstive but stay with the bigger dia the same as 12lb which should be about 25 or 30 breaking strengh of the superbraid. going smaller will burry the line into the spool under the line that is on their creating a bigger mess. Use mono to start then if you want to switch at a later date to try it go ahead. Just my .02
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:40 AM »
trapperdirk and coldfeet. appreciate the great info. its been afew years since my last baitcaster, so it will be a bit of a change..probably should have gone to something alittle more expensive, but for what i target, should do for now. the biggest change will be upping line strength and losing some sensitivity. will update when the summer season opens. thanks everyone....grump :P :P :P

raleigh

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:45 PM »
On my bait caster I always fireline or my favroite Maxim Ultra Green. An I would go with 8 to 10 pound line.

ButchT

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2005, 12:42 PM »
I just saw this post so I may be too late with this for Grump but if it helps someone else that's good

I have had good luck in the past with Power Pro on my baitcasters.  I use it for everything from walleyes and bass to muskies, in different sizes depending on the fish.  It stays round where some of the superlines tend to flatten on the spool after a time.  The small diameter/ pound test has less resistance so it allows baits to run deeper.  The sensitivity and low stretch qualities are a plus as far as I'm concerned.  Just remember to set your drag light for trolling.  Strikes, especially muskies, are not too forgiving with line that doesn't stretch.  I like it for jigging for lakers and whitefish in the winter too.

I bought an ABU 4600C5 Mag several years ago for casting stick baits for walleyes.  At that time Berkley had just come out with Ironsilk line.  I had read some good things about it so I spooled up with it in 12# just to give it a try.  It seemed a little stiff and "wirelike" but as soon as it gets wet it calms right down and is really decent and manageable.  It is quite abrasion resistant and low stretch for a mono type.  I use the LowVis Green with a florocarbon leader for trolling and casting.  I plan to try the Solar Mint color with a leader for jigging 'eyes this spring. 

For what it's worth, I find that it's a lot easier for me to pick backlashes out of mono than Power Pro and mono is cheaper to replace if it comes to that.

Good luck and tight lines to all,
Butch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.