FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513357 times)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #105 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:36 PM »
         Deer hit my garden last night, so now there is a fence around it, I would have liked to have put an electric fence up but I'm kind
         of strapped with my upcoming wedding. ???
Stop by the barber shop and ask for a day's floor sweepings. Spread them around the edge of your garden. The deer won't like the smell.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

boondox

« Reply #106 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:47 PM »
got 4-5 boxes for plants

box 1 has raspberries in it .

box 2 has tomato's  like brandy wine, beef stake etc..etc.. what ever we could find  
pepper it has habenaro pepper, Cayenne peppers, green peppers , green chili peppers ,

box 3  has cherry tomato's and some strawberries.

box 4 strawberries  and more tomato's

box 5 has sun flowers in it

some years the peppers come up other not so much we usually get a ton of habenaro's  ,tomatos and cucumbers  

gave up on zucchini and cucumbers cause of the Japanese beetles there not a poison strong enough for them that won't harm humans... if you plant zucchini try to make some zucchini bread with them if you like cucumbers try a cucumber salad with vinegar and onions if you need the recipe just p.m. me there all over the web..  

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #107 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:56 PM »
To all, any secrets you can share with the green peppers? They are my favorite, but yet i can't seem to harvest any. I have bought plants before with them already on it but they would never produce for me. Wrong PH, too much water, too much sun??? ......
When you think of peppers, think of Mexico or the southwest. Hot, dry, sandy, acid soil. Peppers can't get too much sun. Keep the soil moist. Don't over water. Think Mexico.   8) It sounds like your soil may be nitrogen rich. Nitrogen makes pepper plants beautiful but inhibits fruit. You can buy a cheap test kit to be sure, but I would probably 1. sow some cabbage seeds around your pepper plants (cabbage will suck the nitrogen out of the soil) and 2. sprinkle some Epsom Salts around your peppers. The epsom will provide magnesium and sulphur,  which peppers also need to produce fruit. This should help. Good luck...   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

boondox

« Reply #108 on: Jun 23, 2015, 12:20 AM »
fishnmachine good pointers for the guy...

here is another good read too about peppers .....

Make sure the soil is right before you transplant pepper seedlings.

From large, sweet bell peppers to hot jalapenos, green peppers (Capsicum annuum) stimulate endorphin rushes in the human brain because of their mild to extremely hot spice sensations -- your body is trying to cool off and relieve the pain. To successfully grow these warm-season vegetables, you must have well-maintained soil with specific properties.

Soil Texture and Amendment
Because green peppers have shallow roots, you must create a loose soil texture so the roots can spread easily. Green peppers are usually grown as annuals in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 8 and lower, but as perennials in USDA zones 9 through 11. Amend your soil with compost before sowing seeds or transplanting pepper plants. Using a pH meter, confirm your soil has a moderate to slightly acidic pH range of 5.8 to 6.5. If your soil is lower than 5.8, spread lime on the ground to increase your pH. For example, add 7.5 pounds of lime to 100 square feet to change a 5.5 value to 6.5. Use 2 pounds of sulfur for every 100 square feet on soils that have a pH higher than 6.5 to lower the original value by 1. Preparing your soil before planting helps your green peppers flourish.

Fertilizing
Whether you sow seeds or transplant pepper plants into the soil, you need a starter fertilizer tilled into the ground before planting. The best starter fertilizer has a slightly higher ratio of phosphorus and potassium compared to nitrogen, such as 5-10-10. Add 3 pounds for every 100 square feet for the best coverage. Both phosphorus and potassium are critical for germination and initial seedling growth -- excessive nitrogen in the beginning creates bushy plants with barely any fruit set. Once your green peppers become established and have fruits, apply a balanced fertilizer for basic soil maintenance. Spread 2 pounds of fertilizer for every 100 square feet along the sides of your green pepper plants to enhance growth. Check the product's label, as instructions vary by brand.

Soil Temperature
Green peppers are extremely sensitive to temperature swings. For example, cool weather below 60 degrees Fahrenheit causes failed fruit development. Temperatures above 90 F also harm fruit set. Your soil needs to have a temperature above 75 F for proper germination -- a warm day is directly related to the soil's temperature. To keep the soil warm, spread black plastic across your soil with holes for growing pepper sprouts. Transplanted plants also need warm air temperatures of at least 65 to 70 F during the day and no lower than 60 F at night. Maintaining the correct soil temperature range contributes to high fruit yields.

Watering
Keep your soil moist, but not soggy, for strong fruit and foliage development. Pair your green pepper plants together as you plant the others 18 to 24 inches apart. This pairing strategy hinders the sunscalding process -- they shade one another from the harsh sun. You also save time and money because your watering sessions are more confined to one area as you water each pair. Spread a 2- to 4-inch layer of mulch around the green peppers as well to retain as much moisture as possible, especially on hot or windy days.

tomturkey

« Reply #109 on: Jun 23, 2015, 06:11 AM »
Stop by the barber shop and ask for a day's floor sweepings. Spread them around the edge of your garden. The deer won't like the smell.  ;D

Hanging  bounce sheets or Irish spring mini bars along the perimeter should also help. These are the two things that our fruit famers use to keep deer from eating new trees

Yachtzy

« Reply #110 on: Jun 23, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Thank you fishnmachine and boondox, some good advice, I appreciate it.

boondox

« Reply #111 on: Jun 23, 2015, 11:23 AM »
@ the guys thinking about the deer problems:

buddy of mine lives in the city lot of deer around him in farmington hills, michigan. any how he has a problem and a solution for the deer the problem is the deer do not fear human sent as much in that area county/city area around detroit any how the solution to his problem was making the garden a certain size like 3.5 to 4 foot wide buy 10 foot long the deer could not  jump the fence he put up for some reason? any bigger   they jump the fence. like 8 x 10 they jump it  mite want to try chicken coupe wire and steel fence posts make small sectioned areas so the deer cant hop the fence.. any how you could always add the electric fence after words to the fence post if needed... but i don't suggest it... i used 4 fence post along the 10 foot side and three along the 4 foot side  i think they just fear landing on a steel fence post is why they don't jump that fence...    he has three areas that size same set up and he even grows some good garlic  to boot same with pickled beats he makes... he has a big lot land of gardening like 400 x 200 feet land lot...  any how he could do more just does not need it...   

there a 72 inch t post fence post he uses leave about 5 foot above soil and use chicken coupe wire for the fencing around it at about 5 foot high ... any way there is no hunting in farmington  of we already would have lol's

boondox

« Reply #112 on: Jun 23, 2015, 12:59 PM »
picture of the raspberry box taking off real good even got soem beries starting to pop in the second picture..

picture of the peppers which are yellow from to much rain i guessing  and the tomato's which are just starting to take off?

cucumber plants  and some lettuces plant we have been doing wrong for year always time to try lettuces..and learn some thing new...

last but not least a few more tomato plants and  strawberry pants  are in the orange flower pot ...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #113 on: Jun 24, 2015, 05:39 AM »
Looks great Boon but the worst thing to use in a garden is wood mulch.
It wont let the soil "breath" and will house all those bugs you mentioned...
Your better off with a weed block fabric and plant in that..  JMO...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #114 on: Jun 24, 2015, 05:58 AM »
And the best all round insecticide to use is Rotenone Dust..  Safe and natural...
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotenone
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #115 on: Jun 24, 2015, 06:12 AM »

Now you tell me :-\

WelL next year's veggie garden will be mulch free ;D
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BLACK ICE

« Reply #116 on: Jun 24, 2015, 07:34 AM »

My pepper plants don't seem to be growing very well, I read that peppers like the same soil conditions as tomatoes.
           My tomatoes are doing great, so how come the peppers aren't, may it's not been hot enough? Any suggestions.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #117 on: Jun 24, 2015, 07:57 AM »
I think heat is a lot of it. Peppers like 80 and above. We haven't had a lot of that, and next week is 70's, too (which I like  ;D) . All good things in time....  ;D

boondox

« Reply #118 on: Jun 24, 2015, 10:19 AM »

we got sta-green landscape fabric under the wood chips second year of it and they did great last year ?  i think those are ceder chips "which will keep bug the heck away"  "but not sure will have to look in a minute" plus they got a weed preventive on the chips them self's  which we were having a hard time with weeds the last 5 years we did the garden is why we did what we did.. that is why it looks so plain instead of looking like the raspberry boxes  instead of raspberries they were weeds lol's... but ya i got to check the ph of the pepper soil reason being that could make them yellow or all this d**n rain we have had for the   last four night solid rain  after Sunday a solid week of rain there calling for  ::)  so that why i assume there over watered but don't want to rule out the ph..

@black ice: don't be to concerned about the pepper plants last year ours were twice as big as these ones  we have not had a lot of 80"S+ yet  around here so and ton of rain flooding type rains.....  if there good pepper plant they wont be that big but will yield a ton of fruit.. our usually are full of fruit's buy September... 

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #119 on: Jun 24, 2015, 10:33 AM »
we got sta-green landscape fabric under the wood chips second year of it and they did great last year ?  i think those are ceder chips "which will keep bug the heck away"  "but not sure will have to look in a minute" plus they got a weed preventive on the chips them self's  .....
No offense at all, but you're eating that.  IMO only, fine for flower beds, but I don't want it in my salad...   :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.