FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513048 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #150 on: Jul 14, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Attack your better off with shredded leafs... In the fall when I see people putting out big clear plastic bags of leafs I always stop and get them and mulch them up with my mower...I have mostly pine trees on my property so not enough leafs... Leave the grass clippings on the lawn..  They contain a lot of nitrogen and its better for the lawn and  non fruit bearing plants....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #151 on: Jul 14, 2015, 01:46 PM »
Compost tea?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #152 on: Jul 14, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Compost tea?

Rg

The water that drains off the compost.
Great to use for watering plants.
Nutrient richened water.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #153 on: Jul 14, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Bob I have made a lot of these over the years..     
 Work great but I use black pipe and fittings for the center rod and turning handle...

Once its full of compost you can put a couple buckets under it and spray the hose in the top and what drains out is compost tea.... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #154 on: Jul 14, 2015, 04:23 PM »
I sure appreciate the advice guys.

I get the idea, thanks Dom. Something tells me I can put one of those together  ;D

So, what you're saying is too much green leafy matter equals too much nitrogen for fruit bearing plants. What about every day waste like veggies that didn't make it or fruit gone bad?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #155 on: Jul 14, 2015, 06:11 PM »

What about every day waste like veggies that didn't make it or fruit gone bad?

Rg

Yup.

Anything that rots.

boondox

« Reply #156 on: Jul 14, 2015, 06:31 PM »
If you got a barrel for composting in the shade I will add a dozen night crawlers they help break Down the compost and aerate the soil....most of the time my worms die off in the winter cause they can't get below the frost line under ground...so I add some every spring...when I was doing composting. Barrel rusted out and never bought a new one. If your going to make a barrel composting set up get a plastic barrel they work a lot better then steel ones..all you need is two vents one top one bottom when you tumble the compost one vent stays up...seen some one used old kids roller skates to get it to rotate and some wood to Mount it all to... any how heat helps brake down the compost if it too hot don't use worms to aerate the compost cause to much heat will kill them....  you can even add a few fish carcasses in the barrel the worms will eat them and the droppings are good for gardening. By the way vents are for methane build up so it does not happen.. etc etc etc....

Mac Attack

« Reply #157 on: Jul 14, 2015, 09:29 PM »
The composting happens way quicker out in the heat of the sun.
Also, a dark, or black, drum works best because it attracts the heat better.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #158 on: Jul 15, 2015, 02:28 AM »
Well I have a plan in my brain for a tumbler to start with. Drums are easy to come by, rollers are no problem, frame is not an issue. Everything I'm reading says partial sun. Have to keep thinking on that one.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #159 on: Jul 15, 2015, 06:11 AM »

Everything I'm reading says partial sun. Have to keep thinking on that one.

Rg

Yea............during the daylight hours.

8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #160 on: Jul 15, 2015, 05:00 PM »
You , my friend, are the poster child for the word incorrigible   ;D

My thought is to set up a 55 gal black plastic drum on a cradle using garage door rollers for wheels. I can see one large door in the end for unloading and one on the side to load. I can see some pieces of angle inside to help tumble the material. Should roll pretty easily.

I looked at a couple of tumblers at Tractor Supply today. Nice, but hardly worth the price.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #161 on: Jul 15, 2015, 05:42 PM »
You , my friend, are the poster child for the word incorrigible   ;D

My thought is to set up a 55 gal black plastic drum on a cradle using garage door rollers for wheels. I can see one large door in the end for unloading and one on the side to load. I can see some pieces of angle inside to help tumble the material. Should roll pretty easily.

I looked at a couple of tumblers at Tractor Supply today. Nice, but hardly worth the price.

Rg

Yep hardly worth the price to buy one could use aluminim angles and stainless hard ware... so it will last you ..really don't want every thing rotting out on you...try us plastics , u-line, etc.. etc...for a plastic barrel..

Hope the door rollers work for you...like hope they hold the weight..

Don't forget to add water every now and then it will help the composter do it job same with lots of sun light if you can some people stick the composter under a tree a no light to do it's job so worms do the job for the sun decomposition. But foresure do not put to many vent hole in the barrel seen a you tube were the guy put a 1000 holes in a barrel and a pic pipe to rotate it all on don't know how it will support the compost weight on the pic pipe or how the compost will stay in the barrel? If there is that many holes in the barrel look for it on you tube. Just for a what not to do.  Start looking up looking like ratios to a gallon like cups of vemiculite , gravel ,water, top soil, chicken manure, sheep poop or what ever your planing to use it for the vermiculite hold water gravel gives something for the roots to grip on to etc...etc.. but start looking up ratio's wile figuring on what your planing to plant

seen some people do the same stuff with ton of seven gallon  and a wine type rack set up with mutual buckets this is cause each type of plant take a different type of soil instead of making 2 or 3 large composter they make a series of mini composter our of seven gallon buckets..like 15 to 20 of them..but it all depends on what your doing that the set up I have been looking into.. any how you get the idea...don't know the space you got and if you could do it..roses eat differently then say  tamatos or even straw berries... and you could have different mixes in each bucket for each type of plants... any how do research now instead of later...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #162 on: Jul 15, 2015, 07:57 PM »

Its going to be the Smitty Sled of Composters.....    ;D ;D ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #163 on: Jul 16, 2015, 08:39 AM »
It will be deluxe, I'm sure.   ;D  ;D  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #164 on: Jul 16, 2015, 04:01 PM »
Like they say....a mind is a terrible thing! ;D

Already have a line on a 55 gallon barrel. I have a couple 2x8x8 PT in the garage.

Thanks for all the info everyone. One thing you all know is, I do my homework.......then all hell breaks loose. I think 4-6 rollers on each side will be more than ample to take the weight. Once the drum is in hand, I'll be on my way. I read where just a couple of holes for drainage and to allow methane to escape. I'll probably go with some stout angle iron inside. If it rots out, I'll replace it.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.