FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512882 times)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #180 on: Jul 21, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Very little canning. We freeze and dehydrate.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #181 on: Jul 23, 2015, 05:22 PM »
I'll be making lots of salsa ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #182 on: Jul 23, 2015, 06:49 PM »
I do the same and freeze it Bob

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #183 on: Jul 23, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Canning is good till the caner explodes and you spend a week in the Syracuse burn unit..  But those pictures are to come..   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hows the zucchinis coming??  Time for some relish......

video

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #184 on: Jul 23, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Love the zuke relish. Ours are just getting going.

One of the zuke things we do... We julienne and blanch some, then layer a "recipe's" worth on a tray  in the dehydrator. During the cooler months, when my wife wants to make zucchini bread, she re-hydrates a chip and bakes away. Yum!    ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

boondox

« Reply #185 on: Jul 23, 2015, 11:06 PM »
zucchini bread, Yum!    ;D

beat me to it  :'(

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #186 on: Jul 24, 2015, 06:10 AM »
We shred and freeze a lot for baking over the winter... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

tomturkey

« Reply #187 on: Jul 24, 2015, 07:03 AM »
I have never had zuke relish.

The boss makes some out standing pickle relish. My son says that when he finally gets a restaurant of his own she is going to have to supply him with pickle relish. The problem is finding any one growing pickles in west Michigan any more. I do not know if Heinz is even doing pickles in Holland any more. When I was a kid there were pickle vats in almost every town in Oceana county. Never knew what would be found in them from rats to dead Mexicans.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #188 on: Jul 24, 2015, 02:10 PM »
When I lived in Holland if the wind was blowing one way it smelled like pickles and blowing the other way I could smell what flavor life savers Beechnut was making that day..... ;D
 And yes the pickle vats at Heinz were really bad.  Worked there for a week and that was all I could take...   Make my own pickles now..... ;D

tomturkey

« Reply #189 on: Jul 24, 2015, 06:43 PM »
I do not eat pickles as I am already sour enough. Take that back as I might eat a few sweet gherkins.

Now the bosses sweet relish that is another thing. A burger or hot dog is not worth eating with out it.

I never worked around any of our local vats. I spent the summer after I graduated high school sorting pickles.  Worked a lot of all nighters as the biggest grower would not let the migrants load any pickles until it was too dark for them to pick. The pickles we packed were all sent to fresh market.

Back then the migrants coming out of Mexico came and worked till the end of the season. No welfare hand outs. When work was over they gladly went home with the pockets full of the money they made. No reason the same system could not be used now but most of them would go in hiding and not go back.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #190 on: Jul 25, 2015, 01:42 AM »
Dom, do you make pepper relish too? I have a couple recipes for pepper relish and jam that are off the charts.

Tried making pickles a few times. I'm not really good at it. My Grandma used to keep a pickle crock in the fruit cellar. We were always raiding that ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #191 on: Jul 25, 2015, 01:53 AM »
have you guys tried this type of recipe yet? with your cucumbers?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #192 on: Jul 25, 2015, 06:37 AM »
No Bob never tried pepper relish..   But I just told my bride I will be picking several bags of peppers at work today and toss the plants...   I suggested pepper relish and she said she has a recipe for it... ;D ;D   But you could always send me yours.. ::) ::)

Boon yes we make those and love them...   They might also be om the agenda this weekend....

tomturkey

« Reply #193 on: Jul 25, 2015, 09:04 AM »
have you guys tried this type of recipe yet? with your cucumbers?

Those do not look like cukes to me. They look like pickles. There is a difference. Note the bumps and bristles on them in the opening of the video. (that is all of the video I watched) I have never seen cukes with them. Taste a lot different if eaten fresh.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #194 on: Jul 25, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Well I  picked these today...

And me and my bride turned it in to relish.. Our first try at pepper relish so I'm excited to try it... It looks like I used to many red peppers for color..  So we will see...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.