FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513039 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #495 on: Aug 25, 2016, 06:25 AM »
Wally if you look at the first picture in my post  you will see an empty bed..  I had 3 huge giant max plants in there and they had lots of flowers..  They never had a pumpkin start..
I always get several big pumpkins but not this year.. Dont know why..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

wallyworld

« Reply #496 on: Aug 25, 2016, 06:41 AM »
Raquette....that certainly makes me feel better, at least it's not just me  ;D ;D  Thanks!!

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #497 on: Aug 25, 2016, 02:35 PM »

Looks great Dom  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #498 on: Aug 25, 2016, 03:54 PM »
Great looking garden Dom. Wish I had the room.

My radishes already poked through. Just letting some more tomatoes ripen before I make another batch of sauce.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #499 on: Aug 25, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Thanks Ed and Bob.. The hard part i find about my beds is they dry out fast. But than some of them have 5 different  types  of  vegetables in them... ;D  I'm going to try rows of garlic  in my empty bed ( plant next week) for the winter and plant around them in the spring..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drowndin dots

« Reply #500 on: Aug 25, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Thanks Ed and Bob.. The hard part i find about my beds is they dry out fast. But than some of them have 5 different  types  of  vegetables in them... ;D  I'm going to try rows of garlic  in my empty bed ( plant next week) for the winter and plant around them in the spring..
First full moon in October  ;)

boondox

« Reply #501 on: Aug 25, 2016, 08:05 PM »

Sounds like you need a soaker hose set up or three..  like at link ran threw the garden .. some people bury these under the plastic in next to the roots of plants or close to them..

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Element-SoakerPRO-3-8-in-Dia-x-100-ft-System-Water-Hose-ELSSK38100CC/204760316

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #502 on: Aug 26, 2016, 04:11 AM »
First full moon in October  ;)

For garlic planting DD?  I've got one bed I planted last spring. It didn't produce well at all so I pulled it and planted radishes.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #503 on: Aug 26, 2016, 05:32 AM »
Supposed to plant garlic the week the kids go back to school.....
You have to listen to Mike McGraths "you bet your garden" on NPR radio 7am Saturday and Sunday..Garlic was the topic last weekend..

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #504 on: Aug 26, 2016, 05:39 AM »
Boon I have a couple soaker hoses and they work ok but I need 9 of them and some way to hook them to a manifold soil can run them all at once and put a timer on them..

drowndin dots

« Reply #505 on: Aug 26, 2016, 05:40 AM »
For garlic planting DD?  I've got one bed I planted last spring. It didn't produce well at all so I pulled it and planted radishes.

Rg
My bride's uncle has a very successful garlic harvest every year and that's his schedule. Works for him and he fills a sack with fresh garlic year in, year out. Plants the buds covers the garden with leaves and compost, and the first green he sees every spring is the garlic.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #506 on: Aug 26, 2016, 06:10 AM »
My garlic didn't come back up this spring either and I had green last fall.  I think with our lack of snow it winter killed. 
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

boondox

« Reply #507 on: Aug 26, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Boon I have a couple soaker hoses and they work ok but I need 9 of them and some way to hook them to a manifold soil can run them all at once and put a timer on them..

Soaker are a pain and cost to much to set up like your saying... unless you using black plastic to cover the gardening soil  then you don't need soakers... if the beds are open uncovered get something like s square pattren metal vane whirling sprinkler and mount it to pvc pipe so it's up high. Then just turn it on..  this is another good sprinkler for open gardens .. at link..

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/watering-irrigation/sprinklers/brass-telescoping-3-arm-sprinkler-on-aluminum-step-spike-with-plastic-connections/p-1444450327995-c-8661.htm?tid=-6036865513781615252

Mount it up high above the plants and just turn it on.. you can bury pvc and have the connection points above ground so it stable like a spike sprinkler.. and use a square pattren any how there is alway next year to figure out irrigation.. since its the end of season..

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #508 on: Aug 26, 2016, 01:51 PM »
Yeah think I will stick to doing it by hand..

Mac Attack

« Reply #509 on: Aug 26, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Yeah think I will stick to doing it by hand..

Yea, the older you get the more that phrase applies.

8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.