FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512843 times)

JoeGG

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #840 on: Oct 20, 2016, 08:07 PM »
I planted sweet potatoes this year. Should I be digging them up by now?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #841 on: Oct 21, 2016, 04:53 AM »
This is my first year with garlic, but I've done a ton of research and met a great guy at the local farmers market. He grows amazing garlic and has shared a bunch of info with me. Supermarket garlic is usually treated with a growth inhibitor to extend its shelf life. Although, most organic you'll find will not be treated.  That said, they just don't compare to good seed garlic. The cloves are tiny. I planted a German purple hard neck variety. The seed cloves were about 1 3-4" long and bigger around than my thumb. Huge in comparison to the stuff on the shelf at the grocery store. It's very hardy and has a big, bold flavor.

I bought 8 heads of seed garlic that gave me around 60 really large cloves with some left over for the kitchen. The heads were $1.00 each at the market. I used my home made dibber with a mark at 6" deep on 6" centers. That's what was recommended to me. I built the bed 32 x 96" to accommodate rows of 5 with a 3" border.

Along about next august we'll see if my planning worked ;D

Sorry, don't know about sweet potatoes. I'd guess you'd want to dig them before the ground freezes.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #842 on: Oct 21, 2016, 05:42 AM »
I planted sweet potatoes this year. Should I be digging them up by now?

Not sure where you live but I would say yes.. Especially if the tops are dead ..   Now these are true Yams and not the sweet potato vine?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #843 on: Oct 21, 2016, 11:34 AM »
This is my first year with garlic, but I've done a ton of research and met a great guy at the local farmers market. He grows amazing garlic and has shared a bunch of info with me. Supermarket garlic is usually treated with a growth inhibitor to extend its shelf life. Although, most organic you'll find will not be treated.  That said, they just don't compare to good seed garlic. The cloves are tiny. I planted a German purple hard neck variety. The seed cloves were about 1 3-4" long and bigger around than my thumb. Huge in comparison to the stuff on the shelf at the grocery store. It's very hardy and has a big, bold flavor.

I bought 8 heads of seed garlic that gave me around 60 really large cloves with some left over for the kitchen. The heads were $1.00 each at the market. I used my home made dibber with a mark at 6" deep on 6" centers. That's what was recommended to me. I built the bed 32 x 96" to accommodate rows of 5 with a 3" border.

Along about next august we'll see if my planning worked ;D

Sorry, don't know about sweet potatoes. I'd guess you'd want to dig them before the ground freezes.

Rg

I am giving garlic a try as well. I was told as shallow as 2" but no deeper than 6". I planned to be conservative and plant them at 6". 6" on center was a common distance as well.

I hadn't planned to cover them from critters, but after looking at your photos it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #844 on: Oct 21, 2016, 02:11 PM »
I live in the village so there's a resident population of squirrels and deer that roam unchecked. I just thought covering them this winter might be a good idea.

I'm getting ready to mulch them up with the maple leaves that are dropping now. I'm going to put up a good sized pile to use as mulch on all my beds this winter. Once they dry out a bit from all this rain, I'll run them over a couple times with the mower then pick them up with the bagger. That's the plan anyway.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #845 on: Oct 22, 2016, 06:18 AM »
Well I have been wanting to do this and started yesterday. Started making new 4 x 8 x 10" frames to put on top of my existing ones. That raises them to almost 20"...  No more bending over..Had enough compost to fill one so I will be making a few trips to the sheep farm and wast management for a few more truck loads.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #846 on: Oct 22, 2016, 08:16 AM »
Beds that deep should really produce Dom. Good project for sure!
Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #847 on: Oct 22, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Well I have been wanting to do this and started yesterday. Started making new 4 x 8 x 10" frames to put on top of my existing ones. That raises them to almost 20"...  No more bending over..Had enough compost to fill one so I will be making a few trips to the sheep farm and wast management for a few more truck loads.

That should be amazing. What's the plan on attaching the new to the old?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #848 on: Oct 22, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Just a 2x6 nailed in each corner and in the centers...   To bad its raining so hard or I would have went to get more compost and make some more.....   Might not get them all done by spring but its a start. ;D

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #849 on: Oct 22, 2016, 08:40 AM »
Thanks for the info. I used 4x4s in my corners. My beds are 4'x8'x8" and I regret no going bigger now that it has become a hobby for me and my 8" daughter. I am sure I will appreciate the higher beds once the novelty has worn off for her!

I am putting the garlic in today even though it's gonna rain all day here in the capital district. It's now or never!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #850 on: Oct 22, 2016, 09:14 AM »
OK went out in the rain and took some pictures..   Its 35* and I think its turning or mixing with snow..

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #851 on: Oct 22, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Nice garden! Hoping for some snow up your way this week and the radar shows it may happen. Heading to the Adirondack lake area to chase white tails next weekend!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #852 on: Oct 22, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Beds that deep should really produce Dom. Good project for sure!
Rg

That and I am hoping they stay more moist if we have another hot summer... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #853 on: Oct 22, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Should have phase one squirrel maze in place tomorrow to start training the local population. Put a final coat of paint on it earlier today.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #854 on: Oct 22, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Should have phase one squirrel maze in place tomorrow to start training the local population. Put a final coat of paint on it earlier today.

Rg

Do you have one of those little wheels?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.