FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye in the Denver area  (Read 2732 times)

Racer268

Walleye in the Denver area
« on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Hi everyone.  My name is Bill.  I'm from out east. In early August I'll be staying in Castle Rock visiting my son for about 2 weeks. I'm asking for some help in learning how to target Walleye in the Denver area.  I would love to do some fishing with him while I'm there.  I'll have access to a boat that can troll and is equipped with basic electronics.  I've done some reading here and a few other places and it looks like we can easily get to Cherry Creek and Chatfield.  My son also mentioned Eleven Mile but I'm not sure about Walleye there. 

If I understand correctly, August seems to be a trolling bite for suspended fish.  It looks like primarily stick baits such as Rapalas.  I can put a few trolling rods, boards and stick baits in the truck.  I can control depth with snap weights and or divers. 

I would really appreciate it if any of you would help me out. 

What depths would I typically need to target?  I'm good to 35 feet with my snap    weights.  Do I need to go deeper?  The boat has riggers if needed.

What are the main forage fish in these waters?  (Shad, perch?) 

At this time of year what size baits do you pull.  Rapala 7's, 9's?

Does anyone have a favorite bait that they would share with me? 

What times are most productive?  I see some info about night time fishing.

Since we're already hauling a bunch of stuff I need to keep the gear I bring to a pretty small pile.  Your help will let me bring the gear most likely to produce.

Thank you all very much. 

Racer268

Re: Walleye in the Denver area
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Just back from my Colorado trip.  Had a great time.  Helped my son and his buddies rig their boat and fished Chattfield first.  We found the fish on a very narrow but consistent depth contour.  We enjoyed boating some nice western eyes.  Eastern methods all produced fish for us.  I see now why people fish that lake at night.  The boat traffic is unreal even right up till dark.  Later, we travelled up to Dillon and fished that lake for a while.  That day was mostly a pleasure boating trip but we still managed 1 trout.  All in all it was a great trip.  We'll be back soon.   

filetandrelease

Re: Walleye in the Denver area
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Glad all went well Bill The pics you sent were awesome , 🎣

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.