FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 98804 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Hammered the trout this weekend.  4 wild browns to boot.  2 of which were very nicely sized!  Landed 30 or so others between sat and sunday.  Mostly on a frenchy.

westernmas

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Love those wild browns.  I'm going to try to get down there after work this week now that the days are longer.  I'll shoot ya a text.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 09:33 AM »
I'm ready Pat and we'll go right to the spot I caught those.  Its loaded.  Funny thing is I brought Bogtrotter there too!

bogtrotter

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I can attest it's a gorgeous stretch of water, although (if I recall correctly) we hit it sometime in early to mid April 2018, when it was still running high and cold, so, although we caught a few, it was not as productive as (I suspect) it would be at this time of year.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 03:16 PM »
nice work Jon!
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 05:24 PM »
I can attest it's a gorgeous stretch of water, although (if I recall correctly) we hit it sometime in early to mid April 2018, when it was still running high and cold, so, although we caught a few, it was not as productive as (I suspect) it would be at this time of year.

I checked old notes and the flow was about the same.  Some changes to how I fish that spot with the flyrod upped the anti.  I think we could revisit it high and cold and do much better. 

Im headed to that pool now...

westernmas

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 08:20 AM »
I checked old notes and the flow was about the same.  Some changes to how I fish that spot with the flyrod upped the anti.  I think we could revisit it high and cold and do much better. 

Im headed to that pool now...

I hope you aren't using a 40 foot mono rig like a lot of the numbers guys do on the Farmy.  Talk about glorified bait fishing.  If you are nymphing with WF floating line then I'll need some pointers.  I refuse to go to a 11-13 foot rod and 40 feet of mono and tippet rings and all that nonsense.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 08:58 AM »
I hope you aren't using a 40 foot mono rig like a lot of the numbers guys do on the Farmy.  Talk about glorified bait fishing.  If you are nymphing with WF floating line then I'll need some pointers.  I refuse to go to a 11-13 foot rod and 40 feet of mono and tippet rings and all that nonsense.

This comment is why I dislike most fly fishermen.  Who cares how someone chooses to catch?  Also why let ideals stop you from adapting to catch fish...when at end of the day pat...fly line, mono rig whatever the goal is to only have tippet under water.  How you deliver the flies changes a little.  If I use a tapered leader and then add 10ft of tipet...same thing.  Either works its just a matter of preference. 

More importantly ALL nymph fishing is glorified bait fishing...and also lets not forget why I fish...to catch.  It stuns me to see so much resistance to doing something that works to catch trout.

westernmas

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 09:06 AM »
This comment is why I dislike most fly fishermen.  Who cares how someone chooses to catch?  Also why let ideals stop you from adapting to catch fish...when at end of the day pat...fly line, mono rig whatever the goal is to only have tippet under water.  How you deliver the flies changes a little.  If I use a tapered leader and then add 10ft of tipet...same thing.  Either works its just a matter of preference. 

More importantly ALL nymph fishing is glorified bait fishing...and also lets not forget why I fish...to catch.  It stuns me to see so much resistance to doing something that works to catch trout.

It is different.  The style that you describe I may adopt but the euro/czech nymphing thing is personal preference.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Keep in mind pat I am not trying to get you to change.  I had a guide tell me I was "cheating" the other day.  I told him he must be bored to consider my fishing before his own. 

westernmas

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Keep in mind pat I am not trying to get you to change.  I had a guide tell me I was "cheating" the other day.  I told him he must be bored to consider my fishing before his own.

Funny stuff.  Most guides want to put their clients on fish regardless.  I'm always open to changes but I want to be able to fish a dry and nymph without needing a new rod/reel.

I poked fun at a guide on the housy for euro/czech nymphing and got a similar response to yours.  He likes that it allows newer people to the sport to get more action.  Yet he walks down to the river with multiple rods so he can fish dries and nymphs.  To each their own.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 10:31 AM »

I agree with this and I think the key word was adapting.

I LOVE jig fishing for bass and just about every other species on this planet. But, I still take 10 rods with me (6 spinning & 4 baitcasters ) when fishing bass tourneys. You ever try chucking a 1/8oz drop shot rig with 45lb braid and a 20lb flouro leader on a baitcaster? It doesnt work. Thats why I also have a spinning reel rigged with 15lb braid and 8lb flouro. Night and day. Same bait different presentation. Do what makes you happy.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2019, 10:38 AM »
We need an on river session asap.  I will do all three techniques.  Ill use a mino rig, Ill use a euro rig, and Ill throw dries...same 5 weight.  It takes one knot to change each system.  I often do fish 2 rods but one is for streamers solely. 

Lately ive been fishing a single 5w.  35ft of OPST 35# to 4 ft of maxima chameleon 15 to my umpqua sighter...single tippet ring then then varying lengths of tippet. 

Mike you are on my wave length.  All systems deliver the flies.  All of the systems work!  Some are easier and require less mending!  Each system can achieve the same results...just done differently.

However...if Pat doesnt mend well I will catch way more!   8)

westernmas

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 10:50 AM »
We need an on river session asap.  I will do all three techniques.  Ill use a mino rig, Ill use a euro rig, and Ill throw dries...same 5 weight.  It takes one knot to change each system.  I often do fish 2 rods but one is for streamers solely. 

Lately ive been fishing a single 5w.  35ft of OPST 35# to 4 ft of maxima chameleon 15 to my umpqua sighter...single tippet ring then then varying lengths of tippet. 

Mike you are on my wave length.  All systems deliver the flies.  All of the systems work!  Some are easier and require less mending!  Each system can achieve the same results...just done differently.

However...if Pat doesnt mend well I will catch way more!   8)

I'm not great at mending but can catch some fish here and there.  I know a lot of guys like the maxima chameleon but just an FYI if you hit it with a UV light it lights up like a christmas tree.  One guide/fly tier that I follow stopped using it once he realized it.  Seems like you wouldn't want that effect on line.  On a fly its an attractant so I'm not sure why they'd design a line that does that.  Right now I'm eyeing up Thursday as a day I think I can get down there after work if you are available.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2019, 10:54 AM »
I agree with this and I think the key word was adapting.

I LOVE jig fishing for bass and just about every other species on this planet. But, I still take 10 rods with me (6 spinning & 4 baitcasters ) when fishing bass tourneys. You ever try chucking a 1/8oz drop shot rig with 45lb braid and a 20lb flouro leader on a baitcaster? It doesnt work. Thats why I also have a spinning reel rigged with 15lb braid and 8lb flouro. Night and day. Same bait different presentation. Do what makes you happy.

I've never used a baitcaster so I couldn't tell you.   :P  At this point I should just tie a line to a stick I'm such a neanderthal.  LOL
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.