FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lk Michigan coho  (Read 1662 times)

PEARCHEYES

Lk Michigan coho
« on: Mar 23, 2022, 09:36 AM »
Looking to try for coho at Michigan city any good reports

fishinator

Re: Lk Michigan coho
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2022, 11:55 AM »
They have been biting for a while.

LundProv

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2022, 02:35 PM »
Sporadic at best...  Between my son and I, we have communication with almost someone everyday on the big lake and the bite has been hit and miss.  They are definitely here and some days are on fire and some days are dormant.  I am an older guy and I enjoy listening to my younger friends tell me how these new lures really do the job.  I often go back to the basics of trolling #5 or #7 shad raps in firetiger or slimer or crawdad or jointed rapalas in orange or slimer and see plenty of fish come over the gunnel. Go give it a try...  On another topic, twice, I was invited over to your neck of the woods and fished Wawasee through the ice for perch.  We caught some incredibly nice perch and just really enjoyed that lake.  I may have to make a run over there this year during soft water season.

2LMKR2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2022, 02:51 PM »
Pearcheyes …. Sent you a PM on Ice Shanty back when you were asking about it.

Like fishinator said, they've been biting for a while.

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2022, 03:21 PM »
I'm heading up friday morning for a quick look and see since i'll be in the area. I'll take a pole and a few raps and spoons. Michigan City pier.  Appreciate any updates or tips between now and fri.

LundProv

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2022, 06:24 AM »
bigr -- depending on how much time and energy you might have, consider driving over to Portage maybe after Michigan City. It is about a 20 minute drive west on Rt 12 and you may have to take your time once in the Portage area to figure out how to navigate to the Portage lakefront access to Lake Michigan.  You can drive right up to the lake front where Burns Ditch intersects the big lake and there is a long jetty that goes out into the lake with a good sidewalk, allowing you to walk out and cast as you like.  You may already be familiar with this but if not, it is worth a look and gives you another option.  As far as Michigan City goes, people are attracted to the pier of course, and this makes sense but over the years and even today, because I am older and more lazy now, you can drive right up to the edge of the water, near the Indiana DNR location, on the south side of trail creek and fish off the wall.  We have caught lots of cohos over the years, casting spoons/lures or while casting putting out a slip bobber presentation with a chunk of crawler or squid about 4' down.  Another thing that used to be fun, before I had a boat, was to use a hook, a couple of split shots and simply walk along the wall and use either squid or crawler and let your line go straight down along the wall to the bottom and slowly crank up.  We caught a lot of fish with that technique and I could keep the kids interested doing that for hours.  Looking back, I am grateful no one ever fell over the edge/wall as it is possible so be careful and have fun. 

chicagill34

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2022, 03:47 PM »
Are folks going to need that National Park Pass to park and fish around the areas at the mouth in Portage??

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2022, 04:23 PM »
Are folks going to need that National Park Pass to park and fish around the areas at the mouth in Portage??
I can't confirm but that is my understanding.

chicagill34

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2022, 06:34 PM »
Thought I read something maybe an entrance fee of 7 dollars for an Indiana resident,more for out of state or you can get the pass (weekly or monthly) ??

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2022, 07:37 AM »
My quick trip friday morning to the DNR site on trail creek in MI City was ok as far as learning a few things. I did not hook up on any fish using a rap. I did see a few fish caught under a slip bobber using what looked like shrimp or squid. Conditions as you might expect was not good for the fishermen with a steady light drizzle. The trip help me learn a bit more actually seeing the guys fishing. Talking to a few guys i would use live bait over artificial atleast when shore fishing. Did not see any boats moving on the big lake but conditions would not allowed for much of that. I hope to make it back up real soon with the intent of working much harder for fish.     

chicagill34

« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2022, 12:07 PM »
Not the best winds out there during the weekend and I think not many fish were turned in for the derby as well. I'm going to try Portage or MC this Sunday or maybe both!! I use shrimp from walmart and grab some crawlers under a float for bait at times and I toss chrome and green or orange and chrome little cleos. I also ordered a Brads Thin Fin bait with the red and black stripes.

lcshtsm

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2022, 08:08 PM »
Can anyone tell me how parking works for MC? Do I need to pay to get out on the pier? If so how much? Is there any parking around the pier that has is free?

Thanks. Never fished over there before and looking to maybe go Saturday.

chicagill34

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2022, 08:15 PM »
For Pier fishing at MC it's free and you park at Washington beach park. If you go in the morning you will see the other vehicles parked. Park and follow the cement walk and it will take you right to the pier. I am wondering if the Portage riverwalk opens a gate at a certain time or if you can park anytime out there?? 

lcshtsm

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2022, 08:28 PM »
So you don't have to pay to park at the Washington Beach park? I thought I heard you did, but wasn't sure.  Thx

For portage, sounds like the national lakeshore may start charging you to get into the Park March 31st which would be a bummer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.