FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Seneca Nation walleye season  (Read 3228 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Seneca Nation walleye season
« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2022, 07:27 PM »
Wasn't he supposed to have a court date on 18th or 19th of this month? No mention of the outcome anywhere.

Probably got tossed.  The thing that bugs me about some of these guys reactions is that there are guys out there, that arent native american that fish commercially and decimate our fisheries.  I guess it isnt reality until you see a dragger tossing striper after striper as bycatch.  Theres been 30 miles of dead bass.  I have seen it.  So to be outraged by native americans doing what they have done forever.  Ironic that historically they were not the ones to pollute every river and destroy fish stocks all over...

Yotecatcher

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2022, 07:42 PM »
It is what it is and we have no one to blame except our politicians way back when.

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything

fishinjohn

« Reply #17 on: Apr 22, 2022, 08:42 PM »
The ONLY problem I have with the onieda situation is... from MY KNOWLEDGE (which I'm not up to par on the treaty deal) is that it took place on NYS territory
I dont agree with that... with that being said... IM NOT UP TO PAR with the legal treaty so I cannot truly be MAD about it...
I get alot of business from senecas in my shop!!! They treat me good and I do the same...
I just wish people could understand that what they do on their land is what they do, AND that's what they are ALLOWED to do

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2022, 05:41 AM »
Wasn't he supposed to have a court date on 18th or 19th of this month? No mention of the outcome anywhere.

from  what i heard it was  dismissed .....  people  just don't get it ,this has  nothing to do with walleyes in a  put and  take   lake ...it was civil disobedience to   get the issue  into  court....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

62 & Done

« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2022, 12:39 PM »
I guess it's just something that we are going to have to accept because as said previously, the law is the law. What frightens me is they have been given the ok, and it may continue to get worse every year. So is everyone willing to accept watching others spear walleye or take any other game, bird, or fish they would like because their ancestor slept in a tent?
   I just plain don't like it.   I'm sure that somewhere back in time, many of us had ancestors who were somehow connected to the pilgrims. This may sound silly but do we all have the same harvest rights as those people ?  Just food for thought. I may go down to the Hudson and spear some stripers. They should be stacked up behind the Troy dam about now.

trapper2000

« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2022, 02:37 PM »
I'm pretty  sure  the  American Indian  didn't like  it when  the  white man shot all the buffalo  either ......and  your ancestors  lived  in   mud  huts and  under fallen trees too belittling people or making them less human  to your  standards  is  what started  this  mess  many many years ago......

got em

« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2022, 07:15 PM »
Yes . . . The Stripers are at the dam . . But you'd need a hell of a spear . .  ;D

Old Timer

« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2022, 07:31 PM »
This may be the thing to do in every river fish run up to spawn.  How about a big spearing event in the salmon river next fall. 

oneida1

« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2022, 11:00 PM »
from  what i heard it was  dismissed .....  people  just don't get it ,this has  nothing to do with walleyes in a  put and  take   lake ...it was civil disobedience to   get the issue  into  court....
Trap get and agree with ur saying it was civil disobedience but what happens when they can do as they please there has to be a line and onieda is stocked but it is not a put and take the lake  , its self sustaining any fry that is stocked came from oneida, its stocked from what i understand to have a surplus so it can supply fry and yearlings for the rest of the states lakes ...

trapper2000

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2022, 05:14 AM »
i didn't see  anyone  rushed to court, you know  why ....because they  are  right ...they  didn't break a  law they acted  within the treaty ....... we have courts  for a reason ......if these  gentlemen are  doing anything illegal then arrest them and let the courts  do their  jobs..... that simple.....the  government  can always negotiate, i just  don't think they will take  beads  or  empty  promises  this  time

arcadeangler

« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2022, 06:42 AM »
I believe the issue is the off reservation actions. No doubt they can do what they want on their land. If they can get away with it off their land then what stops them from say shooting deer in July out of your field or netting out your local pond. No doubt it was a civil disobedience action. But the bill that was vetoed by the governor that gave them basically the entire state to do what they want was not right and opened a lot of eyes

trapper2000

« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2022, 06:55 AM »
that is  not what the treaty says , this is  why the  DEC was  told to  step  down .... if they  were  wrong and  breaking the  law  why wouldn't they have  been arrested  why no  court???? this is  not about hear say and  opinions  it's  about a  legal agreement  drawn up  by the United States federal government and  signed by  both parties......take it to  court ...the  American  Indians  sure  don't  seem to  be  afraid  to  go

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.